Monday, August 19, 2013

Flicker and Burn (Cold Fury #2) by T. M. Goeglein

Series: Cold Fury #2
352p.
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Published: Aug, 20, 13
Source: eARC from NetGalley and publisher for review
Sara Jane Rispoli is still searching for her missing family, but instead of fighting off a turncoat uncle and crooked cops, this time she finds herself on the run from creepy beings with red, pulsing eyes and pale white skin chasing her through the streets in ice cream trucks; they can only be described as Ice Cream Creatures. They're terrifying and hell bent on killing her, but they're also a link to her family, a clue to where they might be and who has them. While she battles these new pursuers, she's also discovering more about her own cold fury and more about the Chicago Outfit, how the past misdeeds--old murders and vendettas--might just be connected to her present and the disappearance of her family. But connecting the dots is tough and time-consuming and may finally be the undoing of her relationship with the handsome Max--who's now her boyfriend. But for his own safety, Sara Jane may have to end this relationship before it even really starts. Her pursuers who've shown her her mother's amputated finger and the head of the Chicago Outfit who's just whistled her in for a sit-down make a romance unthinkable. The only thing that matters is finding her family and keeping everyone she loves alive.
My thoughts:
I read Cold Fury a while ago so I couldn't wait to read this one when I heard it was available for review. The main problem not being solved in the first book we are still trying to solve that problem within this book. Several twists and turns appear in this book. Some were quite surprising. And although I did enjoy this book, there were a few problems I had with this installment.

One of the problems was that I became very frustrated with Sara Jane. Her decisions made me want to scream when it came to her friends. Granted I could see why she either didn't want to trust them or couldn't, but the way she handled these people just frustrated me. Especially when it came to her cousin. These decisions really brought the book down for me. It didn't ruin it though.

Despite my problems with the book, I really enjoyed the rest. It had the same sense of adventure as the first one and I did enjoy the strangeness added to the plot. It just added a layer of intenseness to her plight. It may not be for everyone, however. :) Still, I am strange so it spoke to me. ;)

In the end I give this book 3.5 stars. I enjoyed the adventure despite my frustration with Sara. I need the next one because the main problem is still unsolved (no cliffie ending though).

23 comments:

  1. I didn't know the second book of the series was going to be out. It's great that mainly some problems you still manage to like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the first novel yet, but it's a little disappointing to see a frustrating protagonist and too many twists and turns in the plot of a book. I might skip this after all. Great review, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you gave the book a chance and read it. I really loved it. At times she did frustrated me but those points in the story made the story. You know? Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was her personal choices that bugged me. I didn't mind those she made on the run. That made sense. :)

      Delete
  4. At least there was no cliffie. I know that there is still some resolution needed but I am ok with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot what I was supposed to say...guess it was not important then

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eh. I hate when a character makes frustrating decisions. I only read about ten pages of COLD FURY before setting it down because I didn't connect with the writing, but I might give it another chance one day. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mind Cold Fury, but if you don't like that one, you probably won't like this one. If you give it the chance I hope you like.

      Delete
  7. The adventure aspect sounds well done

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, noes! I find it very hard to enjoy a book when the actions of the protagonist become too infuriating. I'm glad this wasn't a total miss for you, but I can certainly see why you were annoyed.
    Great review, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's too bad Sara Jane is so frustrating in this book Melissa! That's always disappointing especially in a sequel when they were such a highlight in the first book. I'm glad she didn't ruin the book for you overall though and yay for no cliffhanger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for more in the next book as I have to finish that arc storyline in the book. Hopefully she will grow up a bit more. :)

      Delete
  10. I haven't read this series, but feel you on the character actions getting on your nerves. I hope the arc wraps up nicely in the next one and you see some growth in Sarah Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes, those characters make you just want to smack them upside the head! At least the story pulled through, even though the character was frustrating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like the main character would probably frustrate me too. I haven't read this series yet, but I want to. I might just wait until the next one is out though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I quite liked the first book so I've been eager to give the second a try-wondering what exactly Sara Jane does that annoys you so much...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!