Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Cold Fury (Cold Fury #1) by T.M. Goeglein

Jason Bourne meets The Sopranos in this breathtaking adventure 
Sara Jane Rispoli is a normal sixteen-year-old coping with school and a budding romance--until her parents and brother are kidnapped and she discovers her family is deeply embedded in the Chicago Outfit (aka the mob). 
Now on the run from a masked assassin, rogue cops and her turncoat uncle, Sara Jane is chased and attacked at every turn, fighting back with cold fury as she searches for her family. It's a quest that takes her through concealed doors and forgotten speakeasies--a city hiding in plain sight. Though armed with a .45 and 96K in cash, an old tattered notebook might be her best defense--hidden in its pages the secret to "ultimate power." It's why she's being pursued, why her family was taken, and could be the key to saving all of their lives. 
Action packed, with fresh, cinematic writing, Cold Fury is a riveting and imaginative adventure readers will devour.
This book starts out a bit on the slow side. Not too slow, but just enough to get a feel of our main character, Sara. She is obsessed with her nose, but otherwise is quite thoughtful about what she does and how her behavior affects others. Not too many teens are that introspective. This serves her well in the coming adventure.

Once her family disappears and she gets a glimpse of what she only suspected was going on in her family the action really takes off and things get quite intense. She discovers that her "gift" that she has only ever glimpsed has a real power in the organization her family has been involved in for generations. One she is just now discovering.

The beginning backstory is also important to the adventure. The lessons learned in the boxing ring she thought only applied for life now applies to saving her life several times. It also lends credibility to her survival even if her ability to withstand physical punishment borders on the paranormal. She learns to listen to herself and trust herself and her intuition. It's a good thing since people who are after her seem to be one step ahead. However, Sara is no shrinking violet nor dumb. She uses her smarts and those around her to figure out what is going on and how to try to save the day.

In the end... however, not everything is solved. We must wait impatiently for the next installment to find out what happens. I am happy to say that it really isn't a cliffie, as the book feels almost complete. Almost because we are left wondering about some major aspects and wanting to know more. This is not a bad thing and one of the few ways I feel that a book can still feel full and yet leave you wanting.

I give this book 4 1/2 stars. It is a great thriller and suspense novel perfect for the YA and adult crowd.
I received this book from the publisher and LibraryThing's Early Reviewer's program. No compensation for my review was given.


Btw, this book is published today and is perfect for the challenge currently going on since it is a YA authored by a male:


14 comments:

  1. That you got it from LT reminds me that I have not been there for ages...

    Sounds like a cool book too

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this does sound really good! :) I love Library Thing! It is one of my favorite sites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason Bourne meets The Sopranos? Hmm, not too sure how well this would work for me, glad you enjoyed it even if it was a bit of a slow starter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo 4.5 stars? MUST READ! I like that it doesn't end with a cliffhanger, I can deal with a few things left unresolved, but my patience for jaw-dropping cliffies is rapidly waning. Especially when there's a year long wait in between books! That's just cruel:) Wonderful review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAYYYYYY! I hear this book so much! I adored the action. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh! This sounded so awesome, an exciting action packed thriller but a cliffhanger with unresolved threads. I am with Jenny, slowly losing patience with those types of endings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOh I want to read it now! I didn't have enough books lol, this one is very intriguing and I didn't know it. I'll definitely add it on my wishlist. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed it. I have only read mixed reviews about it but it sounds so interesting. Cold Fury sounds so action packed! Thanks for sharing :-)

    Following! Feel free to visit my blog.
    SeeitORreadit


    ReplyDelete
  10. A YA heroine into boxing? I'm immediately intrigued, but hesitate because she's obsessed with her nose. What's wrong with it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Sounds like a great one. :D One I might have to look into. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, a female Jason Bourne. I like that! The synopsis makes it sound paranormal but your review makes it sound otherwise. In either case, I can never pass up a kick butt female heroine. Yay for Early Reviewers, right? I really haven't heard of this one. I'll have to add it to my TBR pile. I'm gonna be 90 by the time I finish it!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, not this is a book I think I could love! It's sounds exciting! Though I think I'd want to wait to read it closer to the release date of the next book in the series.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!