Friday, August 2, 2013

Dragonsoul: A Shifted World Story by Philippa Ballantine


Part of the Shifted World series
20p.
Published: Tor
Source: For FREE HERE (epub format)
On the back of the dragon Wahirangi, Finn the Fox flees the world he has known. As he sets out to find the brother he never knew of, he still holds in his heart the memory of the Hunter. He has denied his love for her, but he cannot deny it forever.

In the halls of the Last Believers, Talyn begins to uncover her own mysteries, but her lust for the death of the Caisah is still strong and clouds her vision. She must choose her path, as the Seer of her people or as the assassin of the overlord. Meanwhile, Byre, Talyn's brother, must venture into the fiery world of the Kindred, to rebuild the pact that his ancestors made. He will risk everything he is as he forms a new pact that will change his people forever.

Dragons and myths will be reborn, as the Hunter and her Fox face each other once more.
This is a quick novella in the well-imagined tale of the Shifted World series. The first book is Hunter and Fox which I reviewed and loved. I do suggest you read that first book before picking up this novella only because the world is then established and you can slip into the world of the novella easily. This novella is also not exactly in order, but is a part of the world, part of the history so it can be picked up at any time in the series reading. It is an interesting addition to the world and brings a tiny bit of history into the characters you get to know within the series. I give it 4 stars and do suggest that if you read and enjoy this series, pick up this little book. Plus, it's free! :)

17 comments:

  1. I adore Pip's Ministry of Peculiar Occurences series and I've been meaning to read more by her for a very long time.
    I'll download this now while it's free, but I'll be reading Hunter and Fox very, very soon.
    Thanks for the heads up, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do think you'll like her other series. This one is fantasy.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read anything by this author! So, you're saying I should pick up her Shifted series? *hustles to Amazon*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she writes in fantasy and steampunk. So it depends on what you like. :)

      Delete
  3. I really should read the first book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you like fantasy... I say... yes you need to read it!

      Delete
  4. it's great to have a nice novella like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a saucy little banner. Hey I am always up for a fun, quick read. I am off to download it now. You forgot to remind me yesterday to get the SYNC book, but I remembered. Listening to Grave Mercy and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This author is on a list of authors I want to read, so I am glad to hear this was good, and I know you loved book one. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've enjoyed what I've read by her (one book, lol) and have been wanting to read some of her fantasy stuff. I recently got a book by her for review, but I don't recall if it's part of a series (probably). I'll have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the heads up about the free novella! I haven't read Hunter and Fox, but it sounds awesome! I'll have to read that first then move on to this. Awesome mini-review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sure sounds good, I have a weakness for dragons!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I read this one too. I was a tad confused at first, not knowing who we were reading about. But I really enjoyed it over all. :) I'll share about it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!