Thursday, August 15, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Sold

Meme hosted by Melissa My World in Words and Pages. It's about books that are already on the shelves and are waiting to be read. Go to her website to join in!

My submission:

Sold
by Patricia McCormick
Narrator: Justine Eyre
Published: Tantor Media
Lakshmi is a thirteen-year-old girl who lives with her family in a small hut on a mountain in Nepal. Though she is desperately poor, her life is full of simple pleasures, like playing hopscotch with her best friend from school and having her mother brush her hair by the light of an oil lamp. But when the harsh Himalayan monsoons wash away all that remains of the family’s crops, Lakshmi’s stepfather says she must leave home and take a job to support her family. 
He introduces her to a glamorous stranger who tells her she will find her a job as a maid in the city. Glad to be able to help, Lakshmi journeys to India and arrives at “Happiness House” full of hope. But she soon learns the unthinkable truth: she has been sold into prostitution. 
An old woman named Mumtaz rules the brothel with cruelty and cunning. She tells Lakshmi that she is trapped there until she can pay off her family’s debt—then cheats Lakshmi of her meager earnings so that she can never leave. 
Lakshmi’s life becomes a nightmare from which she cannot escape. Still, she lives by her mother’s words—Simply to endure is to triumph—and gradually, she forms friendships with the other girls that enable her to survive in this terrifying new world. Then the day comes when she must make a decision—will she risk everything for a chance to reclaim her life? 
Written in spare and evocative vignettes, this powerful novel renders a world that is as unimaginable as it is real, and a girl who not only survives but triumphs.
Yea, this sounds good and also one that I know will upset me. I do like that they say she triumphs so I do think I can handle the anger I know I will feel. I thought it sounded different than what I usually read/listen so I thought I would give it a try. 

Of course this is another audio free from SYNC (if it's not up right away then just wait, it should be soon). Just go to the SYNC website to get it. This one is open to everyone! It's US/Can. (I thought it was listed under international) It's also the last one for free this year.

Any different type of reads/listens on your tbr?
Note: Nope, I'm not affiliated in any way with SYNC or the publisher or the author... just like freebies and telling ya about them. :D

25 comments:

  1. hmm I don't know if this one would be for me... not sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may not, but I like that it is about an important issue.

      Delete
  2. I keep meaning to read this, even though I know it'll upset me. Thanks for reminding me it's up on SYNC, Melissa! I have to download it for sure!(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this will be a great read. I think it is such an important topic that needs more people talking about it. So many children and women are sold into prostitution every day and it scares me that they are thought so little of. I am going to have to download this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew this was familiar. I read it in my pre-blogging days but with a different cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo never heard of this one Melissa! I'm with you, I'll be able to make my way through it because the blurb says she triumphs in the end, and I need to know things like that before I tackle really emotional-sounding reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either and yea... had to know if she triumphs. :) Both of us must have our HEA. :D

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a very emotional read that would probably make me cry my eyes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I hate to cry, but I still think it will be good.

      Delete
  7. I really have to be in the mood for a big emotional read/listen. And a lot of tissues!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am curious to check this out. I think I've only read one book by this author, but I remember liking it when I was younger. She's good at dealing with tough issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I haven't read anything by her so I'll have to check the author out.

      Delete
  9. I saw this on Sync this morning and I passed. I just can't do anymore emotional reads right now. I hope you listen to it and let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, but I usually stay away from them so I don't have too many on my shelf (unless they surprise me...).

      Delete
  10. Yeah, I definitely know that this one would make me super-sad. I don't know if I can handle it at this moment!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has me teary eyed, and I haven't even read it! ooh to get this or not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aaaah, yea. that sounds like it'd upset me too. But yes, good. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one does sound good. Very emotional, but very good. I hadn't heard of it before this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love this book (but yes it WILL make you cry), so I'm definitely getting the audio version. I love re-reading books on audio. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to listen to this, it's been a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, I'm definitely not brave enough to read this. I would have to be held at gunpoint in order to put myself through this. I'm a coward like that, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!