Monday, August 12, 2013

The Deepest Night (The Sweetest Dark #2) by Shana Abé

Series: The Sweetest Dark #2
320p.
Publisher: Bantam
Available: 8/13/13
Source: eARC from NetGalley and the publisher for review
It’s 1915, and sixteen-year-old Lora Jones is finishing up her first year as a charity student at Iverson, a prestigious, gothic boarding school on England’s southern coast. While she’s always felt different from everyone around her, now she finally knows why: She is a drákon, a rare, enchanted being with astonishing magical abilities. 
As war hits Britain’s shores, and Lora reels from an unimaginable loss, she finds that her powers come with grave and dangerous responsibilities. At the request of Armand Louis, the darkly mysterious boy whose father owns Iverson, Lora will spend her summer at his lavish estate. To help the war effort—and to keep Lora by his side—Armand turns his home into a military hospital, where Lora will serve as a nurse. For Armand is inescapably drawn to her—bound to her by heart-deep secrets and a supernatural connection that runs thicker than blood. 
Yet while Lora tries to sort out her own feelings toward Armand, fate offers an unexpected surprise. Lora discovers there is another drákon, a prisoner of war being held in Germany. And that only she, with her newly honed Gifts, will be able to rescue him.
With Armand, Lora will cross enemy lines on an incredible mission—one that could bond her to Armand forever, or irrevocably tear them apart. 
Beautifully written, deeply romantic, and filled with daring adventure and magic, The Deepest Night is a mesmerizing novel of the enduring pull of destiny, and the eternal strength of love.
My thoughts:
The book starts out with thoughts from our Jesse and then leads into the the life of Lora and how she is dealing with what happened in the book past. We do get some recap which helps those of us who feel like they have been too long without this world to get caught up. I don't think it is done for those that haven't read the first book. I don't think you would be completely at a loss if you didn't read that first book, but I do think the second book will be richer for you if you did. Besides, I enjoyed The Sweetest Dark and do suggest it to those that love a good PNR YA.

I have to admit while going through the recaps (which I was glad to have) and Lora's refections on school life and what happened before I expected to be a bit bored, longing for action of the last book. I kept expecting that feeling but it never really came. I did want more action than just talk as we were getting, but I still found myself caught up within what was going on with the characters. I was perhaps slightly less enthralled than I was in the last book, but interested nonetheless.

The last half of the book gave me all the action I craved. It was what I expected and what I wanted. It kept me riveted until the end. In some ways I would have liked a bit more action sooner, but it still satisfied and gave me what I expected after reading the first book.

In the end I give this book 4 stars. It didn't seem to shine as brightly as the first but still managed to captivate my attention. I suggest this series for those that enjoy YA PNR and dragons. I enjoy this author's writing and do plan on looking out for her other books to add to my tbr.

23 comments:

  1. Oh I didn't know Shana Abe had a new series, what a nice news, I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A shame this didn't shine like the previous book but still 4 is a more than respectful score.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the first in this series but it sounds like I need to pick it up, especially if this second one was good, too. I like the setting and time period this book is set in, too. Kind of rare in YA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think you'd enjoy this series. I just loved that first book and I can't wait to see what happens in the 3rd.

      Delete
  4. I need to read this. I read the first book and really loved the dragon twist. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad it was still good even if didn't quite shine as much as the first. i def need to start this series soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad the last half of this book picked up after the slow beginning Melissa! If a books ends really strong I usually can overlook any flaws that came before it. I'm bummed it didn't outshine book one, but that's definitely a tall order given how brilliant book one was. I'm happy you enjoyed overall though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was still interested in the slower parts, but you just wanted to get to the action because it was looming so much.

      Delete
  7. I have both of these books for review and they were supposed to be on the blog this week , but I am behind due to my AWOL week. Sigh... I hope I enjoy them even though I am a bit disappointed that book two doesn't shine as much. I am officially back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll still enjoy it though. Happy you are back!! :D

      Delete
  8. I do not remember book 1 at the moment, does not ring any bells

    ReplyDelete
  9. Candace checked and thinks there is a third book in the works. I thought so, too. I love this series though I haven't read this one yet. The first book shined (no pun intended) for me so much! Shana Abe is well established adult author. I was crushed at the end of the last novel. I'm glad to read how the novel opens. Must read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad that while low on action the recapped kept you interested. This sounds good and appreciate you sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For some reason I just LOVE these books! I guess the writing has a lot to do with it, but I love the setting and the characters so much too. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read the first book, but I have heard this one falls a little short compared. But this does sound like a fun series. I have the first book, so I need to get to it

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did read her a dozen years ago or so in Dutch. Need to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love PNR and dragons, so clearly I need to get on top of this series. Glad to hear you're still enjoying it, even if book two isn't quite as good as the first one. Lovely honest review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!