Friday, August 30, 2013

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

432p.
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Available: Sept. 3, 2013
Source: NetGalley and publisher for review.
Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown’s gates, you can never leave. 
One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself. 
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a wholly original story of rage and revenge, of guilt and horror, and of love and loathing from bestselling and acclaimed author Holly Black.
My Thoughts:
The book starts out almost like a normal contemporary, but quickly turns horrific. I have to admit the beginning wasn't my favorite part and it seemed like it may go the way of several vampire books where the vampire is a predator rather than a romantic partner. I also had problems with Tana. She kept making stupid decisions so I worried that would be the same throughout the book.

I was wrong! Yes! First, let me tell you about Tana. Yes, I was upset with her, but she keeps getting smarter throughout the book. Toward the end her choices weren't about intelligence ("stupid decisions" as she says) but more about fear. She was smart but decided if the only thing holding her back was fear, then go for it. She turns out to be a great heroine! She becomes the smartest person in the book.

I also enjoyed the fact that most of my questions were answered. I thought that we wouldn't learn the background of Gavriel (romantic interest) but we get it in a flashback. In fact I get several answers I didn't expect to get. So, I was a happy camper about that.

There is also a twist in the end that I did enjoy. I didn't see if this one was a standalone or a series, but I'm hoping for a series. One question you are left with in the end and I'd like to see where the author takes it. I know what my vote would be. :D Oh and no, it's not a cliffie. :D

I give this book 4.5 stars. Although it worried me in the beginning I found the book original and fun. I recommend it to those that like YA vampire books with a female who keeps getting smarter. :)

23 comments:

  1. It's great that despite a difficult start you loved it. I was curious about this one, everyone is talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't so difficult as much as I thought she would continue to be that frustrating. I was glad I was wrong. :)

      Delete
  2. Tana really does keep getting smarter -- and she's pretty smart to begin with (despite those stupid decisions). I LOVED this book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did learn from her mistakes so I enjoyed her journey!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I'm a huge fan of Black, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this one, so I'm a little worried, but still determined to read this. Fantastic review, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might just be one of those things that you have to try and see. :)

      Delete
  4. I have heard great things about this one and although the premise doesn't grab me I might still ahve to try

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite the reservations I share with you on the whole I think this is my kind of read. Great review, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might enjoy this one. It is a bit different than the usual vampy fare. :)

      Delete
  6. Okay, every single blog I visited has read this book! I'm so behind on my reading! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you get to it and enjoy it! Would love to hear what you think, especially about the romance.

      Delete
  7. I can't get a good read on this book. The reviews are all over the place. I was excited to read it and now I am not sure. I am glad that you enjoyed it after the rough start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are going to have to try it and see if it is for you. :D

      Delete
  8. I really do want to read this. I love a good vampire story and this sounds worthwhile. Love that the MC just gets smarter. It's nice to see characters change and grow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to read this, I have seen two reviews praising it and one bashing..I am going to either tie it up or announce a winner..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to know that it picks up. I have this book in my pile. it sounded so amazing but then I started reading mixed reviews.

    So if it's not my thing at first I'm still going to stick with it since it got better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yours is the second great review I've read about this one today. You really, really liked this one. I have enjoyed what I've read of Holly Black's writing, but I'm a little scared of the scary beginning. It really sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I SO want to read this one! I love Holly and all her books but I'm ready for another vampire story. I'm glad the MC gets smarter, that's good you told me cause I might just scream at her and throw the book otherwise. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm almost finished with this book and I really love it! So glad to hear this is one that you love. I"m not at the ending yet but I also hope it's a series! I agree, she keeps getting smarter, and I like that. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This may sound weird but I wish I liked YA so I could read this one. It sounds great but with so many books I have to read I can't justify reading a book from a genre I don't care for (expect for Sherrilyn Kenyon's series!)


    Paranormal Haven

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!