Thursday, September 29, 2011

Blood Rights by Kristen Painter

Description:
"The lacy gold mapped her entire body. A finely-wrought filigree of stars, vines, flowers, butterflies, ancient symbols and words ran from her feet, up her legs, over her narrow waist, spanned her chest and finished down her arms to the tips of her fingers."

Born into a life of secrets and service, Chrysabelle’s body bears the telltale marks of a comarré—a special race of humans bred to feed vampire nobility. When her patron is murdered, she becomes the prime suspect, which sends her running into the mortal world…and into the arms of Malkolm, an outcast vampire cursed to kill every being from whom he drinks.

Now Chrysabelle and Malkolm must work together to stop a plot to merge the mortal and supernatural worlds. If they fail, a chaos unlike anything anyone has ever seen will threaten to reign.
I really enjoyed the world created within this story. The vampires have different levels of power and being. They are part of the otherworld hidden from the humans. Noble vampires who belong to the most notorious "houses" and are connected to human's bloody history. They are also the kind of vampire that Chrysabelle is most familar. She is a comarré who has powerful blood which feeds only those that can pay for her service. She is a blood servant and her physiology has been changed to be a powerful donor. The world she lives has lots of rules where the nobel vampires are her better and the better of all humans.

This world holds a lot of information and lore that can easily become too complex. Luckily, I really didn't have a problem figuring out how things worked, but I do admit it took me a moment to figure out who was who. By the time she meets Mal (Malkolm) on his territory, I had most of it worked out and then relaxed and enjoyed the ride of the story. This is where it really started to get interesting. In fact I thought from that point it might go the way of a total PNR, but the twists and turns in this book didn't make it so. In fact, the twists kept me guessing as to which way the story would end.

I also loved the secondary characters. Even though we only really get a glimpse of who they are and why they are involved, you find yourself wanting to learn even more about them. You become excited for the next novel since you know (and hope) that they will be there to continue the adventure with Chrysabelle.

Ah but what else can I say without spoiling anything? That is what makes this a hard review to write. There is so much complexity within this book that to say one thing might spoil another. Yet, in the complexity there is order so you don't get lost. There are important aspects within like loyalty, personal rights, honor, love, and finding yourself. All these aspects are there but yet none are solved for our characters as to what it means personally to them nor if they achieved it within. Ah, but there I go, almost saying too much.

I give this book 4 1/2 stars. This book leans hard toward fantasy but and there is a possible romance in the future. There is no cliffie, but yet things unsolved that makes you crave the next book which luckily isn't too far away.
I received this ARC from the publisher, Orbit, and no compensation for my review was given.


Remember only a few days left to win a signed book of Blood Rights! Just go HERE to enter!

19 comments:

  1. I'm desperate to start reading this book but I have a couple of review books i need to get through first!! Grr...pleasure reaing vs. agreements...maybe I can sneak it in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the name Malkolm. Apart from that I might be tempted. Pleasure vs. obligation...I know, poor Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is one I'm really looking forward to reading. The lire sounds really fascinating. Great review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this review! I need me some good fantasy! I loved the aspects you mention of loyalty, honor, love. All great elements to have in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I loved this one too, I thought her vampire world was really interesting and I loved Chrysabelle and Mal's relationship. So excited they're releasing these in rapid succession so we don't have to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Comarré? This is a new term to me. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read this! Have it on my kindle and I will get to it this month cause well me needs a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!!! I'm so glad it's good!!! But now in a little scared... If you had a trouble keeping people straight- you know I'm TOTALLY going to! Hopefully the lore doesn't become TOO complex that I get frustrated! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOh I have to buy this book ! no choices ! It sounds so amazing ! thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is this book the ONE? The one that will lure me back to vampire novels? Your review has got me so tempted. I love the promise of complexity and the fact that you couldn’t guess where the story would go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice review, I want to read this one! Adore the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's on my computer to be read, but arghhh, I need that e-reader from the library first

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Mel... I understand, but look at that cover! It leans toward fantasy... You know you want to read it! ;D

    @Ana... That's the worst part?? Okay...

    @Giselle... I hope you'll enjoy this one. I did so much!

    @Savannah... TY! Oh if you are looking for good fantasy, then do pick this one up!

    @Jenny...I know! Although, it's still hard to wait!!

    @...Petty... I think you might like this one.

    @Felicia.. READ eet! I think you'll enjoy!

    @Ashley... It's not. I mean you look back on it and realize that it was complex, but it totally doesn't seem that way when you read it. Swear!

    @Melliane... Yes! It is a moral imperative! :)

    @Aurian... I love that cover and it is so perfect for the book!

    @Blodeuedd... You need to ask Santa for one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me thinks I need to read this!

    Gorgeous cover and even better review!

    I just pre-ordered it for my Kindle-out on Saturday! I couldn't even wait until I finished my post :o]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like it has all the right pieces in all the right places. ;) thank you for the great review. I think I might need this one as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, Melissa!

    Vampires. I'm completely sold. I NEEDS this one. The vampire hierarchy sounds completely fascinating, and I'm glad that it didn't get too complex.

    See why I love vampires so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I first saw this book cover a few months back I was immediately drawn in... I hate that it isn't entirely romance-y though... BUT I love that the secondary characters make an impact. Decisions, decisions! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been feeling kind of fed up with vampire books for a whole now but I've been curious about this one because it sounded different, and I like the cover. (yes, I'm shallow like that) I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it and I think I might take the plunge and give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the Halloween header!

    Awesome review! I love it when I have to write reviews and can't say much because of spoilers...that makes a book sound good and well written, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!