Friday, September 2, 2011

Retribution by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Retribution (Dark-Hunter)Description:
Harm no human...

A hired gunslinger, William Jessup Brady lived his life with one foot in the grave. He believed that every life had a price. Until the day when he finally found a reason to live. In one single act of brutal betrayal, he lost everything, including his life. Brought back by a Greek goddess to be one of her Dark-Hunters, he gave his immortal soul for vengeance and swore he’d spend eternity protecting the humans he’d once considered prey.

Orphaned as a toddler, Abigail Yager was taken in by a family of vampires and raised on one belief- Dark-Hunters are the evil who prey on both their people and mankind, and they must all be destroyed. While protecting her adoptive race, she has spent her life eliminating the Dark-Hunters and training for the day when she meets the man who killed her family: Jess Brady.

A gun in the hand is worth two in the holster...

Jess has been charged with finding and terminating the creature who’s assassinating Dark-Hunters. The last thing he expects to find is a human face behind the killings, but when that face bears a striking resemblance to the one who murdered him centuries ago, he knows something evil is going on. He also knows he’s not the one who killed her parents. But Abigail refuses to believe the truth and is determined to see him dead once and for all.

Brought together by an angry god and chased by ancient enemies out to kill them both, they must find a way to overcome their mutual hatred or watch as one of the darkest of powers rises and kills both the races they’ve sworn to protect.
Okay, those that have been upset with me reading book 1... rejoice! This one is book #20 and no, I had not read the other 19. I really want to read them now, though. :)

This is the type of western I like. Okay, it's not exactly a western, but still, it's my type. ;) I loved the idea of Abby being so flawed. In fact, her flaws drew out her strengths. I also enjoyed the Native American mythology woven into the story. Of course not all is tradition and is told only to enhance the story, but I enjoyed that the correct name (one not given to them by the settlers) for a couple of tribes was given as well as some of the lore. It was enough to enhance the story, but not tread on sacred traditions.

I have to say that even though I enjoyed Jess and Abby's story, I want more Sasha and Ren! Oh especially Sasha the wolf shifter. Talk about snark! He had me laughing as the apocalypse was beginning. I also enjoyed the various references to movies and shows currently popular right now. It will eventually date the book, but it was fun knowing where this quote came from and the way they threw it at each other.

I give this book 4 stars. It was a fun paranormal and no, you don't have to read from book #1 if you don't have to... you know who I'm talking to... ;)
I was given this book from the publisher and no compensation for my review was given.

18 comments:

  1. That's my girl - if a series consists of 20 books, try the last one first and then perhaps the tenth or the third :D!!!

    Interesting although a bit too romantic; I might try it though if I find it, thanks for your funny review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I could never bring myself to start a series with any other book but the first one. Just thinking about it makes me itch.

    Somehow I've never actually read any of Kenyon's books, though I see them around the blogosphere all the time. I think I just decided I don't like PNR before I got to her, but I really should at least give her books a try. I'll have to see if I can find book 1 of this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Why I am not surprised that you read the last book in the series. I have read the start of series and it is definitely fun paranormal :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the Melissa we all know and love! Never read the series in order. Still I have to confess I've read a couple of the Dark Hunters books and now it the right order either...must be catching! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You haven't read this series?!?! Omg! You are sooo missing out lady! I've read up until book 15... I need to get back on the ball!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blahahhahaha! Melissa, you are EPIC! A 19 book gap. I believe that sets some sort of record. I totally got to find out what you mean about it being a western.

    And yes, I do have to read from book one... maybe. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats quite a long series, I think you are brave to be joining it at number 19. I Wonder if all the books will be just as enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah...I totally got to get into this series. I have not pick it up and I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For as much as I usually read books in order, this is one series where I started in the middle too. I started with Acheron's book, and oh my, that book blew me away and scarred me for life. You must read it! I really enjoy this series, I've yet to get caught up, but I might just start again with this newest one and periodically go back and read the others:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such a rebel!

    Now I am going to sing "With a Rebel Yell, she cried MORE MORE MORE!" (now go read Dev's book which was number 18) LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @anachronist... well, it is a PNR, so romance it will have!

    @Smicha... Oh there is some calamine lotion on the last post for you. ;) There is some action with the PNR, so perhaps you may enjoy it. I'd library book it first. :)

    @Nic... I need to read the start now. ;)

    @Mel...LOL and AH HAH! I knew it! I knew I wasn't alone.

    @Ashley... I know! That is why when I got the opportunity to read any of them I grabbed it! :)

    @Missie... What? Is that unusual? ;D Btw, Jess is a cowboy gunslinger. Not a spoiler since it's in the blurb. :) NO! Don't read book 1! You are a wild woman!

    @...Petty... Actually I joined at #20. ;) A lot of these series books you can dive in the middle... or the end and not be too lost. :) I've heard good things about this series.

    @Savannah... Pick it up anywhere.. I dare ya! ;D

    @Jenny...Ah HAH! I have all 19 on the wishlist. ;) I almost picked up Archeron when it was new. :)

    @Felicia... *sings with you* Do you like my lip curl? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, you are so brave! I could never do that. :)

    I only read the first book in her young adult series and loved it. It was pretty hilarious. This one sounds awesome, but 20 books? No, thank you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol, I have read book 1 and I am sure I would just jump too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yay!!! This sounds very exciting. Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. 20 books! I'd turn into an unrepentant series skipper so quick...

    ReplyDelete
  16. So I must make a confession. I have read all of these books out of order. In fact, I don't think I have even read the first five or so. I started with Acheron, went to Nick's book, and then some other hotties book, and yeah. I am such a hypocrite! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, good to hear you read this book with out the others. :) For once. I just got it and yes I want the others, but this one sounds so good and tempting. ;) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!