Friday, September 9, 2011

Where Demons Fear to Tread by Stephanie Chong

Where Demons Fear to Tread (The Company of Angels)Description:
Fledging guardian angel and yoga teacher Serena St. Clair dares enter Devil's Paradise nightclub on a mission—to retrieve the wayward Hollywood "It Boy" she's assigned to protect. But she's ambushed by the club's owner, arch demon Julian Ascher. The most powerful demonic entity in Los Angeles, Julian is handsome as sin, a master of temptation who loves nothing more than corrupting pleasure–seeking humans. He won't release the lost soul Serena is supposed to guard. Unless she accepts his dangerous wager… 
After the disastrous way his human life ended, Julian vowed that no woman would get the better of him again. Yet this sexy–sweet angel, smelling of fresh ocean air and happiness, triggers centuries–old feelings. Now, their high–stakes game of seduction, where angels fall from grace and where demons fear to tread, will lead them either to an eternity in hell.or a deliciously hot heaven.
 I really enjoyed this novel and the world it created. What I really enjoyed was the main heroine, Serena. She was pure of heart in life that was cut short. She had not experienced much of life and died a hero so she became a Guardian in her afterlife. This type of character could be quite annoying but I enjoyed her because she was genuine and she was smart. She had wisdom and insight most people don't have. She was a natural at figuring out what was really going on despite all the lies and deceptions. She was nieve, but it never got in her way. She also knew she didn't live a full life and she didn't shove her morals down others throat. She tried to influence others, of course, but didn't feel the need to constantly berate them for their bad choices.

Now to Julian. Bad, but vulnerable, Julian rose within the demon ranks quickly. He enjoyed corrupting others, but it really was more about revenge for being corrupted himself. He only made one fatal mistake before his death and was sent to the hell realm. Therefore, some good still lived within even if he spent centuries burying it.

Ah, you know this is a PNR so you know how this will play out between Serena and Julian. Despite that knowledge, you are swept away within the adventure that brings them together. Julian falls for Serena and it comes across as more genuine and at a time he really wanted change. So, Serena was the catalyst but not the cause. That made it much more believable.

However, I do have one complaint. In the end there was a bit of extra story we were given after things were solved. What I didn't like about this was Julian's behavior. This time it didn't quite seem genuine but forced. I would like to see both characters struggle with grey areas they have now stumbled upon. Perhaps this will happen in continuing books if this is a series.

I give this book 4 stars. Those that want a fun PNR with a slightly different take on the whole angel/demon ideology will like it. It isn't completely different, but does contain slight differences that make it fun.
I was given this eARC by NetGalley and the publisher Mira and no compensation for my review was given.

19 comments:

  1. Angels and demons getting some action in a PNR book? No thanks, I prefer trigonometry. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds great ! I've seen this book several times but don"t know yet if I would like to read it. I will add it to my wish. Thanks for the review !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first I have heard of this book. Sounds like fun. I like books who take the angel concept and make it unique :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of bloggers seem to be talking about this one, thanks for your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite a different twist on things. I kinda like it TY :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I'm curious about this. Not sure it's for me, but might give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked it too! I love that it was a unique twist on angels/demons! Awesome review chica!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trying to find more angel/demon books to add to my ever growing TBR pile and I might pick this one up. Thanks for the review Melissa :-)


    Paranormal Haven

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! I've been desperately looking for an Angel story to fall in love with, Melissa. This one sounds like it could be the one! I love being swept away in adventure and romance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh this sounds awesome dude!!! In weary about the forced side stories though!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lis is reading this one. It does sound good even if that thing at the end bothered you

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the angel/demon stories, too. I think that's why the Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh appeals to me so much. I haven't found anything quite like it.

    This sounds excellent, don't really care for the side story but hey, small price to pay for a good story!

    Thanks for the awesome review and for finding me a good angel/demon book to try :o]

    ReplyDelete
  13. @anachronist... OOoooookkkkaaayyyyy....

    @Melliane...I enjoyed it. I hope you do!

    @Nic... It wasn't totally unique, but it did have a slightly different take on the world. Found that interesting.

    @...Petty...Welcome. :)

    @animewookie... welcome. :) I think you might enjoy it.

    @Belle... I think if you enjoy PNR, you will like it.

    @Felicia... TY! :D

    @Paranormal Haven... Oh yes, if that is what you are looking for, then do pick it up!

    @Missie... I really enjoyed Serena too! You'll love the romance. :)

    @Ashley...It was only at the end and was small. Otherwise it wasn't like that for the rest of the book.

    @Blodeuedd... Oh I hope she enjoys it. It didn't hugely bother me, but that part can be fixed easily by the next one.

    @Kristi...Oh I need to start the Guild Hunter series. I have the first 3 on my tbr!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, I need to read more of these books! This genre is awesome. ;) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oohh, a fun and sexy PNR! I just got back from Waldenbooks had I known I would of gotten it! Loved the review! The herione sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love demon books (that sounds bad, LOL), but angel books have been hard on me lately. This one sounds exceptionally good. Serena sounds like a character I would like because she doesn't force what she things down peoples throats, I LOVE that. Awesome review, Melissa! Sounds like a PNR I must pick up. I hope there is some juicy lovin'! :D

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never heard of this one before, but you know how I love me some angels and demons and PNR! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm willing to give angels and demons a try; trigonometry's where this demon fears to tread :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wonderful review. This sounds like a great read. :) And I love that trailer. Thank yoU!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!