Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan #3) by Kelly Gay

The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, Book 3)Description:
To save her sister, she must stop a silent killer. . . . 
Protecting Atlanta from the off-world criminals of Underground is tough enough, but now Detective Charlie Madigan and her siren partner, Hank, learn that the addicts of the offworld drug ash have begun taking their own lives. Ash makes humans the perfect vessels for possession, and something or someone is leading them to their deaths. Charlie is desperate to save her addicted sister, Bryn, from a similar fate. As New Year’s Eve approaches and time runs out, Charlie makes a deadly bargain with an ancient race of beings and embarks on a dangerous journey into hellish Charbydon with Hank and the Revenant Rex to save Bryn and make it back before it’s too late. Only, for one of them, coming home means facing a fate worse then death. . . .
Oh I was so itching for this book I had to break open the calamine lotion! Then, I actually got the book and devoured it! Oh for those following Charlie's adventures you will be right back with her enjoying her character as before. Those that have yet to join in her adventures, no worries... I will do my best to be non-spoilery for you.

Oh in this book we get a bit more of Hank who is Charlie's partner on the force. *Squee!* Can I has a Hank of my own? It isn't his siren good looks or voice that has us all swooning, but him! Oh I loved getting to know Hank a bit more. However, this is still more about Charlie and dealing with what had happened in the last book. It picks up right after the end of the last book and we don't see all the fall out save what is happening to Bryn. We still don't know the total impact to Charlie herself although we do get a bit more of a glimpse. Rex is also great as the comic relief. He really snarked it up in this book. What can I say? I love the characters in this book!

Oh can I say much more without spoilage? Probably not. :( However, I can say that I still want a hellhound (I mean I have a devil dog, so why not?). I now want a Hank too. :) Oh and for those that need to yet read book one (yes, they should be read in order and I have done so!) please pick it up. You will love this kick-ass mother. Yes, I do mean that literally. She is a mother that you will enjoy! You will also love her kid Em and the rest of the cast you get to know throughout the series. As for this book, it rocked my socks off (thanks Ashley for the saying!) and I give it 4 1/2 stars! The ending is what I might call a sort of cliffie. The main story line has ended but a new one opens up. So, can I has the next book, like NOW???? Seriously... I needs it!

Books in the Series:
Well, what are you waiting for???? Go get them all! You SO won't be disappointed!
I received this book from Pocket Books and no compensation for my review was given.

18 comments:

  1. Okay, you sold me! Your reviews rock, Melissa, and the story sounds as if it becomes more awesomeness with each addition to the series!

    I bought the first one---Thanks for the link, Chica :o] Hopefully, I won't have to wait for the next in the series by the time I work through them (don't wanna break out the calamine!)


    In some ways, the book and Charlie reminds me of Kim Harrison's The Hollow Series and an early Rachel Morgan but again, it's completely different, too.

    I say this, meaning, I love The Hollow Series and it's Fantasy world of supernaturals that have 'come out of the closet' so to speak. If you've read the series it's non-stop action, too, and Rachel is a kick-ass heroinne that I, personally, look up to! :o]

    I hope it's what I think it is and your reviews are leading me to think 'Yeppers' so, I will be diving into this book with enthusiasm!

    Okay, longest post in history of blogging :o] You've just got me excited about a new series, so it's all your fault!

    Have a great day, Chicky-poo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic review! I haven't heard of this series before it sounds like I need to meet this awesome bunch of characters especially Hank :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, not a new series, an unfinished series to boot; maybe later but not now. Sounds great, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what you are saying is I need a HellHound and Hank! Double HH Ranch is now OPEN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I feel guilty for Have The Better Part of Darkness sit on my TBR bookcase for the last year, unopened and unread...will have to see if I can pull it out into the fresh air sometime soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review! It sounds like an unusual, exciting series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like this has a wonderful cast of characters, something I enjoy in a book. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can has Hank too? I think I need to go back to book one and get all caught up so my obsession with Hank can begin! WIN.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a minute! Where do I get in line for a Hank of my very own. Me want!

    And calamine lotion? hehehe Great way to open a review. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love books that you just devour! It always leaves you wanting more! Loved the review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am SO jealous! Can you see how I am all green with envy. Oh yes I am exploding here.

    *goes to sit and stare at my evil mailbox*

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am VERY excited for this one!! I LOOOOVE more Hank!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love it! A kickass single mother. The world needs more of those :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. And yet ANOTHER series added to the good ole TBR thanks to you... ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Kristi... hey, I love long comments! <3!! Yes, it is one of those series that just grabs you like the ones you mention. I love a kick-ass heroine and I really love that she is a mother in this book too. Besides I'll willingly garner all that fault. No probs!

    @Nic... Oh, I think you'll like them. Not only Hank, but Aaron and Rex too!

    @anachronist... NOW!

    @Felicia... Only if I get them first! ;)

    @Mel... You should feel guilty! ;) Actually I got a chance to read the second one last year and bought the first... so yes I did read them in order. *brings out smelling salts*

    @Sonia... Oh it is! You will love it! Especially if you like UF.

    @...Petty... Oh it is! I just love the characters!

    @Jenny... Oh I don't know... I needs a Hank first. ;D

    @Missie... The line starts over there *points wildly* ;)

    @Savannah... Oh yes it did! I really do want the next book like now. :)

    @Blodeuedd... I know you love this series as much as I do! I can't wait to see how you love it as well!

    @Pam... Oh yes! You will LOVE Hank in this one even more!

    @Stephanie...don't forget the hellhound. We need those too! ;)

    @Ashley... Yes, you do need this series. You do!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh thanks for the review ! It sounds really great, I can't wait to read it !

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book :) Almost as much as I LOVE Hank :)

    Great review! This is such an amazing UF series. Probably in my top 3 :)

    P.S I love your bully breed awareness on your sidebar :) I'm hoping we'll be able to rescue a pit (or two or three) when my kids are older & we own a house. They're banned on the base we live on :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ga! You are to mean! I think this one is on it's way to me. I can't wait to read it. Sounds like a wonderful addition to the series. :) And Hank... I love Hank, so more Hank is ALWAYS good. ;D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!