Tuesday, June 4, 2013

When the Stars Threw Down Their Spears (Goblin Wars #3) by Kersten Hamilton

3rd in a trilogy
400p.
Publisher: Clarion Books
Available: Aug 6th, 2013 (they changed the date on me!)
Source: eARC from the author and NetGalley
“People will die.” 
Locked doors are opening, and uncanny creatures are tumbling through mysterious portals from Mag Mell, the world-between-worlds, into the streets of Chicago. The Dark Man has marked Aiden with a new song that’s scared him badly, and a frightening new group of sĂ­dhe is lurking nearby.

Teagan knows this is war, and she must protect her family. She leaves her flesh and bones behind to join Finn in hunting the evil beings across the city. Meanwhile, their relationship is heating up—almost faster than they can control. But he is still bound to fight goblins his entire life... and by blood she is one of them now.

Then the gateway to Mag Mell cracks open again, and the Wylltsons find themselves caught in a trap. As her loved ones begin to die, Teagan realizes that she must destroy the Dark Man and his minions once and for all in order to save those who remain... 
... before it is too late.
I love the first two in this trilogy, Tyger Tyger and In the Forests of the Night. In the last book that follows the Blake poem, Teagan is determined to save her loved ones as well as Meg Mell. Her connection to everything fae has been enhanced and she has embraced both sides of herself.

Now for my problem... how do I talk about this book and not spoil it for those that haven't yet read the other two? That is always a problem for a book you enjoy.

What I will say is this: I felt that this was the best of the 3 for me. I think what I loved was Teagan's growth throughout the series. Often when you get that, you see a character slip back as if they never had epiphanies or any growth at all. You do not find that here. Sure Teagan makes mistakes, but they don't seem to be repeated and she learns to trust herself. Also the characters were stellar. I have loved her little brother throughout the series and he captures my heart again in this book. I also love the other secondary characters and we get a bit more of the ones we met in the last two books. Also with the other books, I think the research was stellar. The way the poems were woven into the story, the names, mythologies all harken back to the old stories and tales. It's just something I really enjoyed.

My biggest complaint? This is the last book! Perhaps a Abby and Jing book? A book of Aiden when he is all grown up? Seriously... I don't want to give these characters up! Guess I'll have to be satisfied with rereading the stories again. *sigh*

I give this book 5 stars. I really enjoyed my time in Meg Mell and I don't want to leave. I recommend it to YA and faerie book lovers.

23 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this series i'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the first two books but not read them yet (quelle surprise!)...looks like I should. ANd I love the cover of this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT?! Bad Mel! You will enjoy this last one... once you read them. :)

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed. I read the first, but haven't had time for the others, but good to know that Teagan grew a lot throughout the books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems quite trendy for novels to contain verse at the moment and yet I'm not too sure I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like the way this one uses it. It's not a retelling of the verse exactly, but springboards off the poem into a story.

      Delete
  5. Yaaaaayyyy! I'm so glad to hear you think this is the best of the three Melissa, I've really enjoyed this series. I love how you describe Teagan and the fact that she doesn't slip back into any old habits and actually learns from her mistakes. Can't wait to get back into this world! Awesome review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for you to read it! I think you'll love it. :D

      Delete
  6. You have been a very eclectic reader lately :) I APPROVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how eclectic I have been in the past. LOL

      Delete
  7. oh great another goblin book, I really need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh five stars! I don't see that too often from you. I think I would like this very much as I really enjoy books with researched mythology and all that, like Hearne's books and I really haven't read many goblin books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *goes insane*
    it ate my comment.

    Short version, yes to review book 3 is hard

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read this series, but you have me curious and I like that you see character growth. I love the supernatural creatures and myths described..hmm I should add this series to my wishlist!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read the first book and enjoyed it, but I barely remember it anymore! I guess it's time to do a reread and read through all three of them, especially since you loved this last one so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are dwelling in YA world quite a bit aren't you???? I HATE that MacMillan is not letting me put this on my Kindle. I can't read this anywhere but stuck on my bed tied to my computer. Still, this book rocks! Oh my GOD! Kersten pulled out all the stops from the name to the cover to everything!! I'm only about halfway done, but WOW! I am a huge fan of this series, and I love, love, love Kersten Hamilton. She's an amazing author and
    person. I am so happy to find someone else that loves this series like I do!!

    Oh, I love Aiden! Is he amazing or what? And I have read books with great secondary characters, but I would love a friend like Abby and her cousins. And Mrs. Salvatore! And Mamieo! And I'd like to drool over Finn. (Do you feel the need to carry duct tape everywhere now?)lol

    You did a great job not spoiling it. I doubt I'll do as well, but I'm waiting on pub date. (I think)

    Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that this stayed so good until the very end! It's tough to review a last book without spoiling it, but you've definitely convinced me with no trouble at all.
    I actually haven't heard of these before, but I'm adding them to my tbr right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've read the first one of this but then lost track (too many series going, I guess). Looks like I'm going to have to pick it back up!!

    Hey, love the summer design! Your girl and dog are rockin' it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know, I didn't really like Tyger, Tyger. But after reading your review, I think I;m going to have to re-consider and try reading it again. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh this series sounds like it's right up my alley! It always sucks to get to the end of a beloved series, but I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the ending so much. Definitely adding Tyger Tyger to my tbr list. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!