Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X #1) by Richelle Mead

1st in a series
464 p.
Publisher: Dutton Adult
Available Now
Source: eARC from NetGalley and the publisher for review
In a futuristic world nearly destroyed by religious extremists, Justin March lives in exile after failing in his job as an investigator of religious groups and supernatural claims. But Justin is given a second chance when Mae Koskinen comes to bring him back to the Republic of United North America (RUNA). Raised in an aristocratic caste, Mae is now a member of the military’s most elite and terrifying tier, a soldier with enhanced reflexes and skills. 
When Justin and Mae are assigned to work together to solve a string of ritualistic murders, they soon realize that their discoveries have exposed them to terrible danger. As their investigation races forward, unknown enemies and powers greater than they can imagine are gathering in the shadows, ready to reclaim the world in which humans are merely game pieces on their board. 
Gameboard of the Gods, the first installment of Richelle Mead’s Age of Xseries, will have all the elements that have made her YA Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series such megasuccesses: sexy, irresistible characters; romantic and mythological intrigue; and relentless action and suspense.
This is going to be a hard review. This book is filled with mystery, the paranormal, fights, political intrigue and even magic. However, what it has little of is plot. Because of that the other aspects of the book often seemed to get muddled and although not confusing, but not clear either. At the same time I kept reading having to know more about this world and the secrets our characters were either keeping or had to find out about themselves.

What was unusual about this book was the world building and character building. In this book it reigned supreme. It was well done and well written, but I can see a lot of people become either anxious or even bored with some aspects of this drawn out build. I do enjoy a good world building so I was able to be captivated by what was presented. It was a world turned upside down and tried to get rid of vices and what some deemed as "dangerous". As with anything that is taken to extremes, zealots reign on both sides of the equation. What you try to get rid of you just create in another fashion. It was an interesting take.

In the end I give this book 3 stars. The writing was wonderful, but I did get frustrated at times wanting the grand mystery supporting the characters solved (it does in the end... no cliffies). Plus, now that the world is established I'm looking forward to the second book in this series. I believe this series has the potential to blow me away. I do recommend this book to those that enjoy a good world building and a unique take on mythology and excellent writing.

30 comments:

  1. I love Richelle's writing, but I do agree that sometimes she leaves a little left to be desired when it comes to the mysteries. Regardless, it's a great premise, and I think this is probably another series of hers that I'm just going to have to read haha great review, Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually the first book I've read by her, but it won't be the last. :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds good, I do like that it is full of mythology, I am however slightly put off the lack of plot. Still with a rating of 3 out of 5 it must be worth the read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people are probably going to love it or hate it.. or be like me and have it in the middle. Hm... not much other choice is there? LOL

      Delete
  3. I agree with you about Mead's priorities. The entire time, I was like, why does everyone keep thinking about everything BUT the big murder mystery? it was weird. But I'm all about the characters and the character development was SUPERB (yup, all caps)so in the end, i just couldn't complain.
    So anyway, I really liked both the man-whore and the tough soldier chick. Can't wait for the sequel.
    Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked and hated Justin and really enjoyed Mae's character. I know I want to read the sequel to see where she goes from here. It kept me curious! :D

      Delete
  4. Well shoot Melissa! While world building and character development are definitely things I look for when reading, I need there to be a plot as well. Something that moves everything else forward:) I think maybe I'll wait until the second book is out and see if the plot is the focus there since everything else is so firmly established in this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also curious as to see if plot becomes more central to the second book. I really do think it has potential for a great series.

      Delete
  5. I both loved and didn't love this book. There was SO MUCH going on and so many teasers about what was to come, my mind boggled. (Can I ask why we head hopped into that teen girl? It was kind of weird... maybe the reason will become more clear in the next book...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I loved and hated it as well. :D

      I'm guessing the hop into the girl was to show a different view of the world. We get to see, through her, the zealotry going on without religion (my guess anyway).

      Delete
  6. Hmm, I love Richelle Mead so this is book I definitely want to try. Thanks for reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Richelle writes beautifully, but I can see how this may have fallen short if the plot fell victim to world building. I'll probably eventually read it because of the author :) Love her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have her other books on my wishlist and I agree... she does write so well!

      Delete
  8. That's good you still want to read the next one. I haven't read anything by this author. I'm not the type of reader that NEEDS a ton of world building, but I do like good characters.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is not to start with this one unless you end up curious like me about her other stuff. You still may love this one because the characters are well done!

      Delete
  9. yes the world was really intriguing but I understand your problem too. Curious to see the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hm I wonder...I will just wait and see how book 2 turns out

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always like Richelle's world building and characters - they always stay with me longer than actual plots! This one is already on my list! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just finished writing my review of this one and I know exactly what you mean this book was very frustrating and I totally struggled in the beginning, it seemed incredibly long and it took me a freaking week to read it! In the end, though I really liked it once everything come together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you still enjoyed this one, though I think I'll wait till the full series is out before giving this a try. I've liked Mead's work in the past, but by the end of VA, I wasn't as impressed. Thanks for such a well-balanced review, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know some that have loved this one. I haven't read many reviews yet. As I don't read many adult series I don't know that I'll get into this one or not. I didn't like VA so I'm not sure if I'll like this or not. Good review, glad to know there's a plot problem though with the world and the characters, I'd probably have no problem. The thing that keeps pulling me towards this is the mythology aspect. I don't know. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are not alone, I am seeing a lot of reviews where the reader struggled with the plot. Great review and appreciate your honest thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I started this but set it aside for something lighter. I was enjoying it though. I am afraid that I might struggle with having patience with it, so I guess we'll see what my overall thoughts are once I finish. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard the plot isn't great. But I am happy you ended up liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoyed this one, and liked that Justin, Mae, and Tessa took turns as narrators! Justin could be annoying at times, but I wound up liking him after all. Am really intrigued with the new world Mead has created, and looking forward to seeing what happens in the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw, sorry that the plot was lacking, but glad it had enough to enjoy otherwise...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree, it was a bit strange that the murder mystery kept going to the background. I think Mead had so many balls in the air one was bound to get dropped. I loved the characters, especially Justin and Tessa and still can't wait to see what happens next! (Also, I'm seriously hoping we'll get some of her slow burn romance between Mae and Justin). Lovely review, glad you enjoyed it enough for three stars!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found the world building very confusing and even now I'm still confused about some elements. Still I plan to continue with the series and check out Mead's VA series because I found her writing very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!