Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Fallen Prince (Keepers of Life #2) by Shea Berkley

Second book in Keepers of Life series
330p.
Publisher: Entangled
Available Now
Source: eARC from publisher
There is a magical realm that exists alongside the human realm, but it wasn’t always so. The firsts are beings who were created to nurture the land. The world was split into two realms, and the firsts were allowed to redeem themselves. Sadly, the majority continued with their self-indulgent behavior to the point where one of their own, a king, became so obsessed with power, he was secretly banished by the court in hopes his absence would calm the masses. But a spark of madness was ignited and not even the lost king's absence could curtail what he set in motion.
 I loved the first book, The Marked Son, which I read 2 years ago. So, it is safe to say it took me a while to catch back up with the book. I felt a bit lost, but I think if I had reread the first book I wouldn't have had as much trouble. It's a complicated world, so I think I would have felt more at home quicker within the story.

I also felt a bit frustrated with what was happening in the beginning of the book. Their journey throughout the human realm in the first of the book makes sense and you know it is foundation necessary for the growth of the characters. Still, I think I would have liked this part perhaps a bit shorter or perhaps a bit more mixed with the characters of the fae realm.

The second half of the book is where the most exciting adventure begins. You are back in faerie trying to save people without getting yourself killed. You know, the usual fare. ;) Still, you question the motives of several of the fae and learn that others are surprisingly trustworthy. I do like the characterization of many of the secondary characters as well as the main protag, Dylan. However, I found Kera a bit disjointed. There was a reason for this, but I would have liked to have felt that there was something consistent in the background and I just didn't feel that. I still liked her character, though.

I give this book 3 stars and I really recommend rereading the first book if you read it a while ago. If you haven't read that first book, then do so before you read this one. It really does need to be read in order.

21 comments:

  1. A society in which the majority continued with their self-indulgent behaviour, a ruler obsessed with power? Hmm, makes me wonder about a similar society.

    Not one of your better rated books and obviously a series best read in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the first one so I wouldn't be surprised if the 3rd blew me away! Still enjoyed this one.

      Delete
  2. I loved the first book so I will definitely be reading this one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two years these days is a long time between books! I think I'd have to reread that first one. Makes it a bit difficult when you *have* to read the books in order (mostly because I'm forever starting series in the middle).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw... I never *cough* start in the middle of series.

      *nose suddenly grows*

      Yea... uh, nevermind... ;)

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear the first part is frustrating but at least the adventure picks up. I haven't read the first

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha you sound like me Melissa! I almost never reread the first book in a series no matter how long it's been before picking up the next one, I don't know why. Really I should because then I wouldn't be confused from the beginning, but I just choose to muddle on through instead. :) Glad the second half of this one picked up for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably because of the volume of review books we now have in our possession. ;) We also know if we keep reading we will eventually remember and so we torture ourselves. LOL

      Delete
  6. The world sounds interesting Melissa. I will check out book one and despite issues I am glad the second half worked better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world is interesting. I really like the fae realm here.

      Delete
  7. I read the first one and should probably reread it! It has been awhile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it would be much easier going into this one, me thinks. :)

      Delete
  8. That's my main problem with series - I have a hard time keeping up, and if I read the first or previous book awhile ago, I'll have a difficult time remembering enough to continue. Sigh. I'm glad this one was fairly enjoyable though!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many books in the middle! :) However, people picking the first one up for the first time shouldn't have a problem.

      Delete
  9. I think I read the first book but not the second. I think me reading again would cause me to be confused. I think it might be better if I read the fist book first, and then dive back into this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vaguely remember the first book when it was out . I always enjoy a good book about the fey, if only there were more hours in the day for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember hearing about the first book. This is the first, I think, I've heard of the 2nd book. Thank you for sharing. :) I'll have to see about getting them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I would need a serious recap if I had two years between books. I haven't read the first book, but I do love the sound of this world. It's great that you enjoyed the sequel overall. I'll add the first book to my impossibly long TBR :-) Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!