Monday, June 10, 2013

Rush (The Game #1) by Eve Silver

1st in a series
352p.
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Available 6/11/13
Source: ARC won from the author
"So what’s the game now? This, or the life I used to know?" 
When Miki Jones is pulled from her life, pulled through time and space into some kind of game—her carefully controlled life spirals into chaos. In the game, she and a team of other teens are sent on missions to eliminate the Drau, terrifying and beautiful alien creatures. There are no practice runs, no training, and no way out. Miki has only the guidance of secretive but maddeningly attractive team leader Jackson Tate, who says the game isn’t really a game, that what Miki and her new teammates do now determines their survival, and the survival of every other person on this planet. She laughs. He doesn’t. And then the game takes a deadly and terrifying turn.
 This was a fast paced and at times frustrating book. The frustration is shared with the main character Miki so it is intentional, but still getting some answers about the world she is pulled into, but not getting all the necessary information can be maddening. Because it was intentional it didn't bother me to the extreme, but I have so many questions I can't wait to get answered.

In this world certain kids are pulled into a game-like world in which points are scored in what you do and how many of the evil aliens you can kill. No explanation, no forewarning, no way to prepare, you are just thrown into the game and hope that you learn as you go. You have a health meter to determine if you survive. Family and friends left behind have no idea what is going on due to a suspension and manipulation of time. I have to give the author total props for this part of the book. Time is a hard concept to tweak for a book and make it believable and I think she did a good job of doing that. Yes, you could argue the science, but I felt the explanation was well reasoned for suspension of belief.

The reason they get pulled into the game is both reasonable and not. This is where I want more explanation. I also have problems with the kids having no choice and little in their control, but control is a theme of this book so, again, this was intentional. Still, you wanted to kick the people in charge in the arse for that one. :)

I give this book 3 stars. I warn you about the ending. It has one horrible cliffie!! I am curious about where the series will take us and I'm hoping for more information about the game world and I would also love to see Miki kick some committee arse!

28 comments:

  1. I've seen several mixed reviews for this so far, but I don't recall any mention of the cliff hanger. Thanks for the heads up.

    Cat @ A2H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, cliffie! :-/ I think the book still entertains though. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooo, evil cliffies are a bane! Still sounds like a fun fast paced book...I've been avoiding YA for a while but might be pulled back in soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hate those cliffies! I think you will like this one.

      Delete
  3. I need to give this a go and just not read the last chapter, lol,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... I think you'd still end up with a cliffie that way. :D

      Delete
  4. Despite the huge clffie which I know you'll hae this sounds like an interesting read though once again with a cover I think is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CLIFFIE????????????????????????????????????????????


    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!


    Wait? How slow is the writer at releasing them? Are we talking KMM bad or Nora Roberts bad? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeppers. I don't know. Some of her books seem to come out very quickly (Otherkin series) but others a bit slower. Looks like Push is slated for 2014. :(

      Delete
  6. I know. Cliffie. Damnation. BUT I enjoyed this book -- yeah, about a three, three and a half star enjoyment. I'm looking forward to the next book, just to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I so want to see what happens and know a bit more about that committee!

      Delete
  7. I'm with Felicia! NOOOOOOOOOOO to the cliffhanger! I was just about to start this one today, but now I'm thinking maybe I should wait Melissa! I'm glad the frustration with this book is intentional (for the most part), and I can tell I'm going to have as many questions about the ins and out of this world as you have, but as long as they get answered at some point, I'll be good to go. Now I don't know what to do. DAMN THOSE CLIFFHANGERS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea... you will be like me and frustrated with the lack of answers. We do get some answers, but it wasn't enough for me. I wanna know all! :D LOL I do believe we will get all the answers within the series.

      Delete
  8. Oh, yes, the cliffhanger almost killed me too, but I have my theory about it and I've justified it in my head. I'm quite happy this way, so please don't burst my bubble, lol.
    I was frustrated at times by the lack of info, but it all became clear in the end and that last battle was epic.
    Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a happy little theory too and I bet we are on line with the same thought... or at least close to it. So, I won't burst your bubble if you don't burst mine. ;)

      I still have questions, but I do think that was intentional. :D

      Delete
  9. Well I am definitely not reading this anytime soon as I am not interested in a horrible cliffhanger. That totally kills a book for me. I like the premise, but I am disappointed that it isn't executed better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think you'll end up being entertained by the series. I have a feeling the next book will be fun too. I think this is a series kind of book, no way could it even be a standalone. So perhaps when more are out... ;)

      Delete
  10. Nooo horrible cliffies are eeeevil

    ReplyDelete
  11. So excited to read this book. I just skimmed this review since I will be reading it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a gamers dream read! It sounds entertaining but the cliffhanger spells commitment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read a lot of mixed reviews of this, so I think I'll just wait till the entire series is out before picking this up. I hate cliffies. ;) Wonderful review, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I hate the cliffies!! But I like what you say about the time travel. It's such a complex idea and if she makes it understandable, as you said, props to her. And the novel is about control, I like that!
    But I'm with Keertana up there, I'm at least waiting until the 2nd book is set to release!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have this one but because of the cliffie I think I'm going to wait until closer to the release of them next. I'm very curious about this one though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YES this cliffie almost killed me! I was like WTF x 100. Also the lack of info was so infuriating. I'm still not sure I like the world and buy it totally. When I was reading it I liked it, but the more distance between me and the book the less I buy it. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like an intriguing plot, but the total lack of answers might drive me a bit nuts. haha I'm glad you enjoyed it enough!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't like frustrating books nor cliffhangers so this really isn't for me. Happy you enjoyed it some.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!