Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Maya's Notebook by Isabel Allende

standalone
405p.
 Publisher: Harper
Available Now
Source: ARC from publisher for review
Neglected by her parents, nineteen-year-old Maya Nidal grows up in a rambling old house in Berkeley with her grandparents. Her grandmother, Nidia, affectionately known as Nini, is a force of nature--a woman whose formidable strength helped her build a new life after emigrating from Chile in 1973. Popo, Maya's grandfather, is an African American astronomer and professor--a gentle man whose solid, comforting presence helps calm the turbulence of Maya's adolescence. 
When Popo dies of cancer, Maya goes completely off the rails. With her girlfriends Maya turns to drugs, alcohol, and petty crime, eventually bottoming out in Las Vegas. Lost in a dangerous underworld, she is caught in the crosshairs of warring forces--a gang of assassins, the police, the FBI, and Interpol. Her one chance for survival is Nini, who helps her escape to a -remote island off the coast of Chile. Here Maya tries to make sense of the past, unravels mysterious truths about life and her family, and embarks on her greatest adventure: the journey into her own soul.
This book is written as if you were reading her notebook. Almost as if you were listening to Maya telling her story as you sat with her drinking tea on the island she has been banished. She goes back and forth from what happened in the past and what was happening in the present as you might while in a deep conversation. As the reader you are gaining her trust and she slowly opens up to you and you find out what has brought her to the island. In other words, what choices she made to bring her to exile.

As she explores her new circumstances her life, which was spinning out of control, gains some silence and peace. Through this peace she finally starts to find out what is important to her and starts to heal from the death of her Popo, her grandfather who was her world. She finds that she is finally able to let go of the past slowly and how freeing it is by speaking of it out loud. She truly finds peace.

There is also a mystery and danger that you only really find out toward the end of the book. So, it is not just an exploration of Maya and her family and friends, but also a bit of adventure twisted in the end. Although not all ills are solved by the end of the book, but the danger does come to a conclusion. With that conclusion comes hope for a future in Maya's life.

I give this book 4 stars. Even though it has a young teen as the main protagonist, I would not say this is YA but adult. The themes in the book are quite dark and the violence is graphic. I recommend it to those that like a contemporary book with historical aspects about Chilé running in the background.

Bloggy note:
 Isabel Allende had the students at San Jose State University animation dept. make videos. Here is the one of them. The rest are HERE.

24 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds a little depressing but I am happy it ended up being good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were moments of depression as well as hope within the book. However, it was also quite dark in sections.

      Delete
  2. I read some books by her long ago and really liked them. I should read more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of her contemps so you may enjoy it. It still has history woven in.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a book that I would actually like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bit concerned that this felt as if you were reading a notebook, not my favourite format it has to be said, the overall review did however make me think this was a book I would definitely enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could get in your way if you don't like that format, but for me, it wasn't an issue.

      Delete
  5. Huh. This sounds pretty interesting! It hasn't popped up on my radar before your review but I might have to check it out, despite its dark themes. Sometimes, that's what you need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that as long as it ends with hope, it is breathable. :D

      Delete
  6. This isn't my typical go-to genre, but it sounds like such a great story, and I love that there's a mystery woven into all the details about Maya's life with family and friends. Lovely review my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite curious and I'm glad I took a chance. I do think you would enjoy this one.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great book! Not my kind of book but I love the way you make it sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be frustrated with the bit of romance in the book. That was certainly not the theme here. :D

      Delete
  8. I love good mysteries. I am curious is this being tagged as a YA book? I hate when they do that make it seem like a YA when it is really adult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that some people have tagged it as YA, but I think the dark themes would be more suitable for NA or adult crowds. Not that some older YA readers couldn't relate or deal with what was there. Just how it read to me.

      Delete
  9. it must be fun to have a book in this format. I always love when stories are written in a different way like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love how this story was constructed... of course, I already knew Allende was brilliant and I can't wait to confirm it one more time. It helps that the MC and I share a name, albeit differently spelled.
    I honestly can't wait to read this.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Melissa, sounds fantastic! I sometimes have to be in the right mood for books like these - meaning books that deal with 'real' issues :o]

    As always, amazing review!

    Kristi-The Book Faery

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear the notebook setup worked rather well. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds really different from what you usually read. I'm not sure if it's my cup of tea or not. Interesting video though!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. Somehow I don't think I heard about this one. It sounds really interesting and I've enjoyed the authors other books that I've read. I also like that it's about a teen but is an adult book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melissa, this is totally new to me, but I love the sound of it from the darker elements to the way it is written, lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just got this on audio from the library, and am super excited to read it! I'm glad to hear there's a bit of mystery and danger, and that you enjoyed it. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!