Monday, June 24, 2013

Shadow and Ink (Paper Gods series) by Amanda Sun

 Shadow
Paper Gods series #.05
69p.
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Available Now
Source: Freebie (epub format) HERE
Meet two teens whose worlds are about to change forever in this paranormal Young Adult novella, a prequel to Ink by debut author Amanda Sun…
Katie Greene’s worst nightmare comes true when her mother dies, and she’s devastated to learn that she will have to leave the only home she’s ever known. Desperate to find where she belongs, she must decide if she has what it takes to start a new life across the ocean.

For Yuu Tomohiro, every day is a nightmare. He struggles to control his strange ability, and keeps everyone at a distance so they won’t get hurt—even his girlfriend, Myu. At night, a shadow haunts his dreams, and a mysterious woman torments him with omens of death and destruction. But these haunting premonitions are only the beginning…
My thoughts:
I was about to start Ink when I spied a freebie of the prequel on the Harlequin site (link above). I thought it would give me a good start to the series.

It's a short novella with two alternating perspectives of Katie, who just lost her mother. She now must deal with that loss and immersion in a whole new culture in Japan. The other POV is Tomohiro who is dealing with strange dreams and paranormal fears that seem to be true. He is alone in his fight and he keeps others away for their safe keeping. In the end they both see each other, but have yet to meet. It's a good start to keep your interest in the story which is the goal so therefore I give it 4 stars.

Ink
Paper Gods #2
377p.
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Available: 6/25/2013
Source: Kismet Book Touring and Net Galley for review
"I looked down at the paper, still touching the tip of my shoe. I reached for it, flipping the page over to look.
Scrawls of ink outlined a drawing of a girl lying on a bench.
A sick feeling started to twist in my stomach, like motion sickness.
And then the girl in the drawing turned her head, and her inky eyes glared straight into mine."
On the heels of a family tragedy, the last thing Katie Greene wants to do is move halfway across the world. Stuck with her aunt in Shizuoka, Japan, Katie feels lost. Alone. She doesn’t know the language, she can barely hold a pair of chopsticks, and she can’t seem to get the hang of taking her shoes off whenever she enters a building.
Then there’s gorgeous but aloof Tomohiro, star of the school’s kendo team. How did he really get the scar on his arm? Katie isn’t prepared for the answer. But when she sees the things he draws start moving, there’s no denying the truth: Tomo has a connection to the ancient gods of Japan, and being near Katie is causing his abilities to spiral out of control. If the wrong people notice, they'll both be targets.
Katie never wanted to move to Japan—now she may not make it out of the country alive.
My thoughts:
Okay, I confess, I was totally taken in by the cover. How could you not? I just love the cherry blossoms running off on the side. Luckily, the cover brought me to this book which I thoroughly enjoyed. There were also some sketches drawn throughout the book which I didn't expect but enjoyed as well.

I also loved the fact that this book is set in contemporary Japan. I haven't read too many of these set in other countries so I was excited of getting into another culture. I have to say that the world building in this book was superb. I am now wanting to go to Japan to visit, especially when the cherry blossoms bloom. It all just sounds so beautiful.

Of course with this beauty comes the balance of the harsh paranormal happenings to both Katie and Tomohiro. We get to know Tomohiro's plight (which I will not reveal *evil laugh*) but we are still left questioning Katie's abilities or influence. This was the open thread left at the end of the book, which is fine with me as I don't mind some things being slowly revealed. In other words, no cliffies, just open threads.

My biggest complaint is how Katie and Tomohiro come together. Katie seems like someone who just needs to know his business regardless of the consequences. She stalks him and he ends up not minding it at all. Even though I didn't like this intro, I did like them together. I rooted for them both in the end.

I give this book 4 stars. If you want a book that will make you want to travel and enjoy an unusual paranormal problem, I suggest this book. I can't wait to see what else this book has in store.

Btw, here are the other covers listed for the book:
Just click on the pics to make it bigger...

28 comments:

  1. I really loved Ink. I also started reading it because of the cover! Haven't read Shadows yet but I want to soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shadows really does set things up for you. Hope you get it. :)

      Delete
    2. Im still confuse with the order of the book series. Does Ink come first or the Shadow? I had alreadt started reading Ink, and Im a bit worry i might read the wrong order.

      Delete
  2. Funny you mention the cover of Ink as I was much more struck by the cover of shadow. Simple and yet so eye-catching, I thought it beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it, but the blossoms are "rubber stamped" and the flowers flow better on the other cover. :)

      Delete
  3. I've read that there are some issues with the relationship development but that the setting is fantastic. I'm still willing to give it a go if for no other reason than the cover is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that too, but I didn't have a problem with it once it got past that initial stage. I think some people forgot it was set in a different culture. :)

      Delete
  4. Hmm, not sure if I'm going to like this book or not. Sounds good but I'm a little weary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think you'll love this one. :) Romance! I know you love it. :D

      Delete
  5. oh yes I'm curious about this series, it sounds unique. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like that the cover is so different from what we are used to

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on this stunning cover (both stunning covers really), it's nearly impossible not to want to pick this book up and read it when I see that design. I'm bummed about the stalker-like introduction to Kate and Tomo's relationship, but I'm glad you ended up liking them together, that's at least encouraging! Need to find time for these Melissa:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't bad and it doesn't ruin the book for me, just thought it could have been a bit better. :)

      Delete
  8. I'll be sure to read this one first before I start Ink hopefully later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was captivated by the cover, too, Melissa, so I can't fault you for that haha I was a bit put-off my Kate and Tomo's meeting, as well, but it started to work for me as the story went on and, overall, I really liked this book! Wonderful reviews, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, the relationship worked for me in the end. I did enjoy it.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful reviews, the cover of Ink just sings to me every time I see it and I am delighted to hear you liked the story contained within it's pages despite a few bumps. Lovely reviews of both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband was lucky enough to go to Japan and see the cherry blossoms! I am happy to see your enjoyed this one, I wanted to try it, but refrained after a few not so glowing reviews. I am curious about the paranormal part, I can get over the stalkery part!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you enjoyed the setting! I couldn't get into this one but I was so taken in by the cover

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review, and I am glad you enjoyed. But I don't think this is a series for me though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the heads up on the free novella! I'll have to grab it if it's still free. Ink is on my WL, I think it sounds great! I'm glad you really enjoyed it! I think the setting would be the most fascinating to me.

    I'm still on vacation but had moment to stop by a few of my favorite blogs and leave some love. Miss you all lots but I'll be back before too long! Thanks for continuing to stop by my blog while I'm gone!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you enjoyed Ink. I really did too, though I know a lot of people had issues with Katie and Tomohiro's relationship. I was willing to overlook minor issues because the rest was so fun! And thanks for the reminder about the prequel—I thought I had it downloaded already but I don't. Awesome reviews! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you liked it! I did as well. Yes I thought Katie was a bit extreme in her creepy stalker behavior but it didn't bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read Ink already and I figured out there was Shadow. Should I still read the book if I already read Ink?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!