Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Possession by Elana Johnson

PossessionFrom Goodreads:
Vi knows the Rule: Girls don’t walk with boys, and they never even thinkabout kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn…and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi’s future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself. 
But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they’re set on convincing Vi to become one of them….starting by brainwashed Zenn. Vi can’t leave Zenn in the Thinkers’ hands, but she’s wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous: everything Zenn’s not. Vi can’t quite trust Jag and can’t quite resist him, but she also can’t give up on Zenn.
This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.
The world in this book was so interesting. You are thrown in from the beginning, so it does take a moment for you to really get into the world and the characters. Once you are there, you are caught in trying to figure out what is going on and who is good and bad. It takes some time since it seems that the whole world has been thrown on it's ear and turned upside-down. What is called good is bad and vice-versa. You aren't allowed to think for yourself and the smallest infraction can land you in "jail". It is a world not easily understood as the plot is not easily understood, but in sticking with the book things start to sort themselves out.

As for the characters, I must say I absolutely loved Vi who is a true survivor and is just beginning to understand she has powers that are extremely rare and wanted. Vi also has a huge sense of right and wrong which is surprising and wonderful given the world she lives. However, I do believe this sense as well as a healthy dose of rebellion came from the people who were closest to her: her father, her sister and her "intended" Zenn. As far as the other characters, I admit I loved them a lot less. Her other love interest Jag was not my favorite person. In fact, I didn't like him at all. I even admit to cheering when she would finally have enough of his attitude and behavior and call him on his actions. However, that did not last and he didn't seem to change. I just don't like the hypocritical nature of someone who demands truth from someone, but refuses to do so himself. Honestly, if there are teams, I'm total team Zenn... well, once he is free to think for himself.

So, all in all, I give this book with the awesome cover 3 stars. Vi saved this book for me. Oh and I also warn you about the ending. If you aren't one to cuss out loud, this ending just might make you do so.

I received this eARC from the publisher and no compensation for my review was given.

15 comments:

  1. Not allowed to think for themselves?! Horrible world, I am sure I would be ion jail long ago. So verdict, sounds cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really excited about the book! Your reaction to the ending makes me really curious. Is it a cliffhanger ending or does something really shocking happen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be in jail for sure - interesting book and a great review! Hypocrites suck big time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book drove me mad. No, correction, Jag drove me mad!!! But I am still Team Jag. I love that guy. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one definitely took a little getting used too since we hit the ground running:) I liked Jag, but he definitely pissed me off sometimes (like when he left Vi behind in the woods - I wanted to junk punch him). And I do love that cover, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What if you are prone to cussing out loud? Does it make you put a sailor to shame? LOL

    Reviewer seem to agree that the plot is hard to understand. That makes me a bit leery to try this one, but Vi sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Blodeuedd... I would be as well! :)

    @Misha... To answer you... Yes and Yes. O.o

    @anachronist... SO true!

    @Savannah... Oh, I'm glad you still liked him. I tried...

    @Jenny... I do have cover love for it. I would like Jag at times, but he kept lying to Vi. His reasons weren't enough for me to like him. At least Zenn had a real excuse.... I think. :P

    @Missie... Shiver me timbers! Oh wait... wrong kind. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting. I'm reading a book now that is taking me a little bit to get me into the beginning, more to learn the world that it's set in. But not a bad read so far. (a review book) But thank you for the review on this one. Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like I would be in the group of people that would end up having life in prison - I think too much! This world would drive me crazy for sure and that's probably what would be so interesting to read about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cuss all the time, it's the Mexican in me LOL you need to tell me the ending, I just had no patience for this book thank gawd it was an ARC!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the sound of Vi. She sounds like a strong and smart female character. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have cussed several times outloud at the end of a book. I don't know of any sailors in my family but I somehow got that mouth LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Melissa... sometimes as soon as you think that it won't work... it does. :)

    @Stephanie... well there are always lobotomies. :P It really was interesting to read about.

    @Samita... LOL! Oh, I can't tell the ending... I don't want to believe that WAS the ending!

    @Nic... oh I did love Vi. She was the best character of the book.

    @Felicia... Oh not me... I mean me cuss at an ending of a book? *cough* 0;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed the world=-building too. I also really liked Zenn and felt bad about how he was manipulated. So maybe the ending wasn't all bad... But I didn't expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh gosh, I have been totally looking forward to this book... But only 3 out of 5 stars? Well, I think that it'll go more so towards the bottom of my TBR pile! Thanks for the honest review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!