Thursday, June 16, 2011

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Blood Red Road (Dustlands)From Goodreads:
Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back. 
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization. 
Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction.
This book is written in a long narrative style from Saba's POV. So, I admit, it took me a minute to get used to it. I honestly didn't think I'd like it and that I would get drawn out of the story. This was not the case. In fact, I easily and quickly got absorbed into the strange dystopian world where Saba resides.

The book starts out innocently enough with the family, barely surviving encounters several men on horseback. They kill their eccentric father and wound Saba while they steal her twin Lugh. There is something about their birthday and the fact he is a male that makes him valuable. All Saba knows is that she promises Lugh she would come and get him and she never goes back on her word.

If you are looking for a sedate book, then look elsewhere. This book is anything but sedate. It is almost non-stop action from the time Lugh is taken. In fact, it is hard to put down this book because you want to find out what happens next. Besides the great secondary characters in this book like the amazonian like Free Hawks, you have the characters of Nero and Hermes. Nero is Saba's crow who has a full personality of his own. Hermes is her horse who is a hero in his own right. So, those that love animals will also love this story. Oh I so loved these characters! Just reading about Nero is worth the price of admission for this book.

I give this book 5 stars. I really enjoyed it. It might take you a second to get used to the long narrative, I promise, it doesn't take long. I recommend this book to anyone who loves a good dystopian book and a strong female character. Also, if you tend to shy away from YA, don't let the label take you away from this book. Adults will like it as well.


I received this book form S&S Galley grab and no compensation was given for the review.

24 comments:

  1. I was surprised by this book, It was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that this has non-stop action - it seems very entertaining. Honestly I wasn't expecting this book to be that great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this. I feel like I need another good dystopia novel after Divergent. Great review as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I choose to read another dystopian this one is on the top of my list!

    What a great review plus I love narrative style books. If they are done right you feel like you are on the journey with the character!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I loved this book. Especially Jack! *Fans self* I loved how he was so sure of himself. It made me swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo a 5!!! I don't see you give many of those, that must mean this one is extra special:) Good to know you get used to the narrative style pretty quickly, I was worried that would be problematic when I heard about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you believe I freaking let this one expire on my Nook??? GRRRR!

    Now I'm extra irritated at myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book didn't strike me as action packed but hearing that it is has made me want to read it more! I like a bit of adrenlin rush! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. *jumping up and down*
    I want it :D Nonstop action, yay! Dystopian world, double yay

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hard to put down books! That's like good! ;) But this book has a lot of pages, right? Or am I confusing it with another book? MMMMMM>.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Going from not thinking you'd get into it to 5 stars is huge!

    I love books that give your brain a workout. Seems like this one definitely fits that bill! Awesome review, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in, I want it, I want it badly! Action, dystopic desert and a heroine with a mission - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Liz... oh me too! I was totally surprised!

    @Misha... Honestly, I didn't either and I really enjoyed it.

    @Nic... Oh, I still want to read Divergent. I needs that one! :)

    @Felicia... Oh this one really felt like that. I hope you get it soon!

    @Savannah... Oh yes... I so enjoyed Jack! That is why i had to make him my BB! :)

    @Jenny... I really was when I first started it and almost didn't pick it up after the first chapter, but after that, I was sucked in!

    @Bookish... I almost let mine expire. O.o

    @Mel... I didn't think it was either, but it was!

    @Blodeuedd... Yes... you need this one!!

    @Nina...I think it is only 450+ pages. Not too bad.

    @Missie... It wasn't so much a workout, but just had to get used to the narrative which is rarely used. Easy to get into tho. :)

    @Anachronist... I do think you'll like this one. Remember tho, it is YA even if it appeals to adults.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sound really good! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m dying to read this! Sounds like my kind of book :) Great review!

    P.S I’m a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Nonstop action and five stars from you. I’m very, very intrigued now. Might me a great summer read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Wow. I was really waiting to see what you thought of this one. So glad you enjoyed it. Wow. Great review. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. CAn't wait to read it - I love non-stop action!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Megan... I hope you do!

    @Christie... great blog of yours! Thanks for the follow. Hope you get the book!

    @Stephanie... I think you'd love it. Would be curious as to what you'd think!

    @Melissa... Oh I think you'd like it too!

    @Alyssa... AND you could see Jack as Alex! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I ADORED this book so much! I had trouble getting past the writing style because English isnt my first language but it was so worth it, I'm so glad you liked it too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Samita... I can totally see how the slang could throw you. It almost threw me, but luckily I got used to it. Great perspective on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I am so glad I didn't miss this review :D Absolutely want this one..TY

    ReplyDelete
  23. WHAT?!? Melissa giving a YA book a 5 out of 5! :O! Well, I definitely have to read this book now! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!