Thursday, March 3, 2011

Stealing Time by Elisa Page

Stealing TimeFrom Goodreads:
It wasn't that she wanted to live forever. She just didn't want to die. 
When artist James Wesley realizes Evie Reed is dying, he is so moved by the beautiful reporter's determination to live that he makes her immortal—a vampire, like him. She's the woman he's been waiting over 150 years for. Though initially shocked by the change, Evie quickly embraces her second chance at life, and love. 
Just as James and Evie begin to define eternity together, a zealot breaks an ancient treaty, threatening a peace between humans and vampires that has stood for a thousand years. And when he focuses his hatred on Evie, the immortal lovers find themselves swept up in a deadly supernatural war...
I found the plot of Evie becoming a vampire interesting. I loved her descriptions of pain and the absence of pain. Both descriptions were right on. So, I settled into what I thought was somewhat stereotypical but still enjoyable vampire fiction. However, when James starts taking Evie out on the town, they kept running into people who didn't like James and made him fight for everything. What I found problematic with this is that after a bit, you'd wondered why they kept going out and second no reasons were implicitly stated as to why James had so much problems with the others. If he was a target, why did he bring Evie into all of it? Also, why didn't he explain vampire politics after the first altercation?

The second half of the book we had an all out war between the Church's slayers and one vampire, Philippe. The actions of Philippe was explained as insanity, it didn't really explain how he then became so powerful. Also there is mention of a fae prince, but no much more was explained there. The second half of the book was like having another story thrown into the first. It might have been better to have all this action in another book in this series and finish the formulations of the first. That one of Evie being a new changeling vampire.

I give this book 2 1/2 stars. The characters were interesting, but the plot just needed a bit of editing and cohesion. The book also ends with a cliffhanger.

I received this book from NetGalley and Carina Press. No compensation for my review was given.

12 comments:

  1. This one sounds a little frustrating! Seems like a lot of information is withheld or things are mentioned once and then never again and that always drives me crazy. I'm a huge fan of vampire tales, but I think I'll pass on this one for now. And I'm tired of cliffhangers. That is all:)

    Fantastic review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the lack of cohesion in a plot. One of my pet peeves. Lovely new design btw - so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always baffles me when a character is hundreds of years old and hasn't learned a thing. Gah! Being that old should teach you at least a few things about the politics of your world and survival.

    Sounds like too many idea were crammed in, which is a bit of a disappointment because I think there was a lot of idea.

    Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not going to request this next time I'm browsing on Netgalley. I do love Carina Press, they have fab books! ;) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice honest review. I think this one would be somewhat of a miss with me too

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounded like you were describing the plot of 3 different books. Is this a stand alone or a series?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that is a bit of a booger... I have had this book on my wishlist for quite some time and 2 1/2 stars? Well I think I will get this one from the library instead of buying it. Thanks for the review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bummer. Even the blurb sounds like two books...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jenny... I'm so with you on the cliffhanger thing. Ugh. I hate those.

    @anachronist... Her writing is still promising. Hopefully the next will have that cohesion.

    @Missie...Yea, I think that is what it was too many ideas. Oh, I can sympathize! :)

    @Nina... I do like Carina Press too!

    @Blodeuedd... Thanks. Maybe the next one. :)

    @Stephanie...It felt like that as well. It is a series, I believe.

    @Avery... lol Maybe you will end up liking it more than I did!

    @KC.. Love seeing you here. Yea, I could see it as 2 books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww so sorry this didnt work so great for you =/

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's too bad. Sounds like the characters deserved more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, sounded like such a promising book. Oh well. On to the next right. :) Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!