Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Murder Takes the Cake by Gayle Trent

Murder Takes the Cake: A Daphne Martin Cake Mystery (Daphne Reynolds Cake Mysteries)From Gayle Trent's website:
The first book in the Daphne Martin Cake Decorating Mystery Series. 
Yodel Watson was dead. And some people blamed my spice cake. 
When the meanest gossip in Brea Ridge dies mysteriously, suspicions turn to cake decorator Daphne Martin. But all Daphne did was deliver a spice cake with cream cheese frosting–and find Yodel’s body. Now Daphne’s got to help solve the murder and clear her good name. Problem is, her Virginia hometown is brimming with people who had good reason to kill Yodel, and Daphne’s whole family is among them.
Okay, get ready to faint... this is the second time I have read a book in order. That's right! This is the first in the Daphne Martin Cake Mysteries. Smelling salts anyone? Okay, now that you are comfortable on the floor, I'd have to say this was a fun easy and quick read. Usually, I don't always like these type of mysteries since they can quickly become more about stories of gossip. I don't care for gossip stories. However, this one didn't bother me. Yes, it involves gossip, but it is set in a small town and a portion of her own life story was woven into the mystery. Therefore I can see why she sought out more information even if it was through the gossip line. 

I give this book 3 stars. It wasn't a complicated mystery but more toward the chick lit side of the mystery genre. It had a lot to do with family and growing in life as well as solving a mystery. I recommend this one to people who want a mystery, but don't want something too heavy.

I was given this book by the publisher and no compensation for my review was given.

16 comments:

  1. I have been seeing this book being featured on many blogs lately. It seems like a fun, relaxing read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks decent enough. The cover is a turn off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to disagree with Liz and say I love the cover - I'd pick the book up for this reason alone.

    There seems to be lots of mivxed reviews of this, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look! Two of my favourite things! Books and cats!
    ;)
    This sure does sound like a fun little read! Thanks for the review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm cake...I don't like gossip but cake is quite another story! Cover is great, really!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Books, cats and cake. What's not to like?

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, pick my jaw up off the floor. You're reading in order again? I hardly know what to say! This sounds like a cute story, books with a lot of gossip usually irritate me a bit too, but I'm glad to know it wasn't as bothersome to you in this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I am ever to try mystery then I think this chick-litish mystery is more for me

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Misha... It was fun. Relaxing... well... there was murder, but it wasn't so gruesome. ;)

    @Liz... I do think this is the second cover for it.

    @...Petty... I've seen them too. Don't know why it was so mixed.

    @Avery... Kitty! :D

    @anachronist... and there are cake recipes in it too! The gossip in this book at least made sense.

    @Shirley... true dat! :D

    @Jenny... *looks around* Psst... this is the second one in a row that I've read the first one first! *gets smelling salts*

    @Blodeuedd... yea... I think that is why this one was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes all you want is a light fun read - and this looks and sounds like it hits that mark! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't faint but I am feeling palpitations of amazement! This sounds like a nice cozy mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ((faints))

    But that is not your style! ;)

    Heavy mysteries don't really grab me. Light and fast are more my type, so it's good hear that this one is as fun as it's cover.

    Speaking of which, I see a Cat on that cover that is likely to become your book boyfriend. Lucky cat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, glad we are getting you back on track here. ;D lol.

    Sounds like it might be a light easy mystery read for one of those days you just want to relax. :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Mel... bullseye! ;)

    @Stephanie... *checks pulse* I think you are okay for now.

    @Missie... *glares* You KNOW that there is only one feline for me and that is GRIM! Don't you even try to get between me and Grim. He knows you called him a cat and now you better beware of that wyld fae! *crosses arms*

    @Melissa (the nice one...lol) You might enjoy it. Hope I didn't scare you too much by reading the first one first!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You don't read books in order ~gasps~.

    Great review Melissa. Sounds like a light and fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well I just love the kitty on the cover you know? xD

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!