Sunday, March 6, 2011

American Vampire by Jennifer Armintrout

American VampireFrom Goodreads:
HE'S THE GOOD KIND OF VAMPIRE. SORT OF. 
Buried in the Heartland is a town that no one enters or leaves. Graf McDonald somehow becomes its first visitor in more than five years…and he was only looking for a good party. Unfortunately, Penance, Ohio, is not that place. And after having been isolated for so long, they do not like strangers at all. 
Jessa's the only one to even remotely trust him, and she's desperate for the kind of protection that only a vampire like Graf can provide. Supplies are low, the locals are ornery for a sacrifice and there's a monster more powerful than Graf lurking in the woods. New men are hard to come by in this lonesome town, and this handsome stranger might be Jessa's only hope for salvation. 
Even if she has to die first…
Graf, going to a big 4th of July vampire party but gets lost along the way. He runs into Jessa who is running from some strange monster. While saving Jessa, Graf gets trapped and finds out what it really means to live in a closed-off rural town full of fear. Deliverance lives again!
*cues dueling banjos*

           
I have to be honest. I didn't like Graf for most of the book. The I'm a species above all of you food objects gets old quick. Jessa didn't fair much better at first, but I ended up liking her before I warmed up to Graf. The story does drag a bit in the middle, but really picks up toward the end. By then I was rooting for Graf and Jessa and I did like the ending.

I give this book 3 stars. It ended up being a fun mystery. If you like vampire stories, you might enjoy this one.

I received this book from NetGalley and the Publisher and no compensation for my review was given.

17 comments:

  1. I have been wanting this one...Not so sure now. Maybe I will see if I can get it on sale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, not sure about this one. I had to laugh at the fact that he was only looking for a good party though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not so sure about this book either (see above). I do like the cover and that it's about vampires, but the rest not so much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stopped and started this book so many times and finally just put it down. I am glad it turned out to be ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked this up from netgalley as well but not sure if it's one that will leap to the top of the pile any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm... I was really quite excited for this, but I dunno after reading your review? Maybe, like some other people commented, I will keep it more towards the bottom of my TBR pile. Thanks for the review Melissa!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha- Graf sounds like quite a character- makes me want to know how he changed his high and mighty attitude.

    Darn, I tried to cue the dueling banjos but it's not working for me. LOL. It looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Chas... It might work now. At first it was only working in one browser, but now it works in both. *shrugs* I have no idea why. Maybe Chrome did something silly to it. :P

    @everyone... the ending was quite quick and full of action. The middle was build up, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, music, nice ;)
    I feel...honestly rather meh, perhaps not the book for me after aöö

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I read one book by this author many moons ago and felt it was kind of meh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review!

    I felt the same way!!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A town called Penance probably wouldn't have many good parties, I'm supposin' :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not sure I would like to read a book about a vampire graf coming to terms with reality of a small American town if it is not funny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm debating on this one, I love a good vampire story, but I'm not sure about the fact that you didn't much care for either character until the end. At least you did warm up to them eventually though, so that's encouraging:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blahahahhaa!

    I could listen to those dueling banjos all day!

    This is the second review I've read for AV that has not been very favorable for the book, so I'm gonna say it is not for me. Your review is enough to satisfy any curiosity I had. Thanks Melissa.

    See, *sometimes* you save me money too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen this one and didn't think it was one I would really enjoy. Sounds interesting, but I'll pass at the moment. :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great honest review. I definitely taking this off my list. I do love a good vampire tale but the characters sound very average :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!