Friday, March 18, 2011

Quicksilver by Joy Spraycar

QuicksilverFrom Goodreads:
A recurring nightmare holds Serry Miller in its grip and has for most of her life. In spite of her fear of the man who becomes a monster, she's in love with him. Not only does she have nightmares while she sleeps, she's living in one with an abusive, alcoholic husband. When, Serry's drunken husband hit's Quinton Worthington's car, she sees the face of the man from her nightmares on a stretcher entering the hospital. When he looks at her and calls her by her name, she is plummeted into a life that she has only dreamed about. Quinton Worthington has suffered for over a hundred years. That's when his evil father ripped Serenity, the love of Quinton's life, from him. At the same time, he changed Quinton into a monster. When Quinton sees Serry's face in the hospital, he believes that Serenity has come back, and he will do anything to be with her. There's only one thing that stands in their way of having the life they want: Quinton's father.
 This story starts in the 1800s when Quinton first becomes a werewolf. It also tells the tale of how he first meets Serenity and loses her. They meet again in the present and fall back in love. Things escalate and they find themselves needing to destroy Quinton's father, Wesley for the sake of their future. There is also later a mention of a cure to the were virus. The key to finding it is in Serenity's ancestry.

I really wanted to love this book. The ideas for the story were interesting and the secondary characters in this book really made me want to know more about them. However, I just couldn't connect to Serry or Quinton. I just couldn't get into their relationship and even the snark at times seemed cruel instead of funny or just razzing each other. Her acceptance of Quinton's condition was a bit fast and not quite believable. As was the way they fell in love and the way Serry overcame some very frightening experiences.

I give this book 2 stars. As I said, I just couldn't connect to the characters. I did, however, love the ideas the author came up with in the story. I found those to be intriguing.

I was given this book by the author and no compensation for my review was given.

15 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, I have never heard of this book. The synopsis sounds good, I can understand about not being able to connect with the characters. Nice reveiw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when I cannot connect with any of the characters. Too bad because the cover really looks pretty. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard such mixed things about this book, more bad than good I'm sorry to say, thanks for your views.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for a good, balanced review. I am not sure I would like to read this one. First a romance, then a paranormal romance...not exactly my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snark that falls flat? Well, that is a bit of a booger... :/
    The premise does sound quite interesting in my opinion, though somewhat complex (I mean, is Serry immortal?). I think I will try and find it at the library!
    Thanks for the great review Melissa! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad, I hate when I can't connect to the characters, they always make or break the book for me. Is this going to be a series? If the story and ideas were solid, maybe future installments with more interesting characters would work better:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good snark is hard to pull off. Of course, for some it comes naturally *looks up at Jenny* and that is the best kind. ;)

    Hope your next read works out better for you Melissa. I think I will be avoiding this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Savannah.. Thanks

    @Nina... I do have cover love for this one too..

    @...Petty... I haven't seen any myself. Hm..

    @anachronist... aw... I'll have to find you a romance you'll like... *evil grin*

    @Avery...well, it was really more cruel than flat at one point. Honestly, I can't answer your question. So, no evil laugh for me!

    @Jenny... I don't know. It seems like it may have an opening for a sequel.

    @Missie...Well, Jenny's snark IS supernatural! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too bad you could not connect :( I hate when that happens and it does ruin the book

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the worst kind of luck for me as I was really looking forward to maybe reading the book some day! Melissa sorry to hear it did not "make it" but glad you let me know now before I bought the book myself!

    I have read only a small amount of books where the idea behind the story was so cool that it made me go out and just snap up the book only to find myself wishing that I had not, thank goodness for small favors this was not one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The premise is unique; how unfortunate that the characters didn't grab you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this one for review and will be starting it soon.... I hope I have better luck... I to have cover love for this one...

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's to bad, I love the cover and the title seems appropiate. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow. Not able to connect to either of the main characters. Sorry to hear. This one does have interesting sounds to it. :) Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the cover and really wanted to love the book but I didn't. Quicksilver seemed to climax in the middle of the book and felt like the story should have concluded there but it went on in another vein that lost its intensity. I thought Serry accepted things rather too easily and some things fell flat for me. The plot had great potential and I gave it extra credit for uniqueness and ingenuity. Joy Spraycar certainly writes with passion and I applaud her for creativity. You can read my review on my blog for more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!