Monday, January 26, 2015

Of Fire and Ash by Amber Argyle

Series: Fairy Queens #1.5
64 p.
Publisher: Starling Publishing
Published 1/8/15
Source: From author for review
One promise can change everything. 
The fairies must never know of Nelay’s sight, for the attention of such dark and terrible creatures brings more things dark and terrible. 
But when Nelay's father is near death, the fairies are the only ones who can save him. All they require is a simple promise that she'll return the favor one day.
Sometimes promises are deadly.

My Thoughts:
Knowing that the newest book in the series was coming out soon I was glad to have this novella for review. I enjoy these worlds and I've been very curious as to how this world is shaping up. This is a novella you can read without reading the first book and it is an introduction to Nelay's story.

Yes, expect a cliffie since it is an introduction.

Panar is the other character I found interesting in this introduction. He is Nelay's brother and I suspect will play a big role in the story to come. I had some problems with her parents, but at least they were present in the story.

I give this book 3 1/2 stars. I think I will enjoy Nelay's adventure and can't wait for her full story to come out. I recommend this to those that enjoy YA with magic and the Fae.

23 comments:

  1. .... for the attention of such dark and terrible creatures brings more things dark and terrible. Ooh, sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to your thoughts on book 2 Melissa. I'm holding off on anything with a cliffhanger until the next book is out, I can't handle the stress anymore! O.o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy this one. It was a cliffie b/c it was a novella. :) I do like this author and her writing.

      Delete
  3. This cover is so different compared to the other books in this series, I never would have guessed that it was a Fairy Queens novella! I don't enjoy shorts on a good day, so I won't be jumping on this one anytime soon.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nelay's adventures do sound promising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sounds pretty good, I'm going to look up the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy! I think you would love her writing Candace!

      Delete
  6. I'm going to wait and see what you and other readers think of the rest of this series before diving in but I'm glad it hooked you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the first one. I think you'd like her witch series.

      Delete
  7. A cliffhanger, that's lame. I will be watching for your review of the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm. I don't think I've heard of this series. Will check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know this series. I don't think. I'm likely to have it sitting on my book shelves but I think I have the witch books by Amber Argyle. I love faeries!! Have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds interesting, I'm quite curious about the world. I would be curious for you to review a full novel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This isn't my typical read but I love novellas right now. It's a nice way to ease you into the world without getting overwhelmed like I do with fantasy sometimes lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a novella reader (most of the time) but you've got me interested with this one. The world is definitely one i'd love to visit and learn more about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these novellas that come late in the series, just before a new installment comes out. They are excellent for getting back in the world and remembering certain details.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I'll wait to read this until I can read the first book too. Those novella intro cliffies kill me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never heard of this book but I do love fairies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!