Thursday, January 22, 2015

Craft Book Review: Shaggy Dog Eats! by Christy Bright

Subtitle: 24+ Recipes for Easy, Delicious Dog Treats
56 p.
Publisher: Beachbrights Publishing
Published: 12/01/14
Source: from Net Galley and publisher for review
Now you can make your own healthy dog treats without spending a fortune. All the recipes in this book have been developed and made in my very own kitchen. There is a recipe for every special taste and sensitivity. Also, most of the ingredients can be modified. Have some fun and play around. Your four-legged friends will thank you. 
Most of these recipes are fast and easy to make. They also make great gifts and are perfect for bake sales raising money for animal rescue organizations.

A portion from every sale of this book will support animal rescue.
My thoughts:
First, I have to say that I love a book that gives back. I love that a portion of this book supports animal rescue. I also found the recipes in the book very easy to do. While I don't like to cook I will cook for my dogs. Perhaps that can be seen as animal cruelty but luckily they haven't complained. :) Oh and trust me, they can complain without using words.

While I couldn't use all the recipes in the book (I have one dog on a special diet) several of them are easily changeable. There are even recipes in the book that are extremely simplistic that anyone can use. For example, her ingredients for the kong toy. I feel that for some that was almost too simplistic and obvious while other people might like the suggestions. For me, the best recipe was for the sweet potato crisps for one dog (although I may omit one ingredient) and salmon patties for another. I have no doubt that my malamute will love the salmon one. She just loves fish.

I give this book 3 stars. I recommend this book for those that are just starting out wanting to make treats for their dogs at home. They are easy to follow and easily changed.

18 comments:

  1. Oh Margarite would probably love that. I love cooking/baking but for some reason have just never done so for her. Gah. Bad herd babe mom. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy making my own doggie treats. My guys are on special diets too so it's nice to be able to control the ingredients.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo I might have to give this a try Melissa! Since we lost Gatsby, Griffin has lost a little interest in food and treats, so we're looking for ways to get him to be the garbage disposal he was previously:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! I so want to hug you both! I hope he gets to feeling more like himself soon.

      Delete
  4. Ooo, this looks like a good one! I don't have a dog, but the cover is tempting for humans, too :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh... an interesting book indeed. When my heart is healed enough to get another dog, I might have to look into making some treats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter and boyfriend would love this, they have a doggie named Dexter .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm not sure I'll really cook for my dog, he is really delicate and is sick when he eats something too different from what he usually eats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to make my own dog treats. For the dogs not me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dogs would be extremely excited if I made any of this for them. But, as I don't even like to cook for myself, it's probably not going to happen. Poor pups.

    (On a side note, it's taking a really long time for your blog to load -- it might be my work's firewall but I just wanted to let you know, just in case it's a plug-in that needs upgrade or something.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my scroll seemed to be broken so I changed that. Hope that fixed it.

      Delete
  10. humm a recipe book for dogs, that's different. I see one for cats all the time, so kind of cool! glad to hear they give back :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've become a big crafty person and though this is for dogs, I still wouldn't mind making stuff. My nesting has already kicked it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha if I cooked for any dogs, it would definitely be considered animal cruelty. Glad your pups enjoy your cooking. :-) This is just making me want to get a dog even more!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!