Monday, January 19, 2015

First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen

Series: Waverley Family #2
304 p.
Publisher: St. Martin Press
Published: 1/20/15
Source: NetGalley and publisher for review
It's October in Bascom, North Carolina, and autumn will not go quietly. As temperatures drop and leaves begin to turn, the Waverley women are made restless by the whims of their mischievous apple tree... and all the magic that swirls around it. But this year, first frost has much more in store. 
Claire Waverley has started a successful new venture, Waverley’s Candies. Though her handcrafted confections—rose to recall lost love, lavender to promote happiness and lemon verbena to soothe throats and minds—are singularly effective, the business of selling them is costing her the everyday joys of her family, and her belief in her own precious gifts. 
Sydney Waverley, too, is losing her balance. With each passing day she longs more for a baby— a namesake for her wonderful Henry. Yet the longer she tries, the more her desire becomes an unquenchable thirst, stealing the pleasure out of the life she already has. 
Sydney’s daughter, Bay, has lost her heart to the boy she knows it belongs to…if only he could see it, too. But how can he, when he is so far outside her grasp that he appears to her as little more than a puff of smoke? 
When a mysterious stranger shows up and challenges the very heart of their family, each of them must make choices they have never confronted before. And through it all, the Waverley sisters must search for a way to hold their family together through their troublesome season of change, waiting for that extraordinary event that is First Frost.
My thoughts:
It has been quite a while since I read Garden Spells. You do not have to have read that book to read this one, but I recommend it because it was such a good book. However, if you only have a chance to read this one, do not worry you will not be lost.

To me, Sarah Addison Allen is the author I go to for magical realism. I was curious to read more of the Waverley magic. I was not disappointed with this book. I enjoy magical realism as it seems to bring the extraordinary out of being "different" and entertains me more than most chick lit out there. In this book there is also an added theme running through the Waverley women and girls. The theme of finding oneself and accepting who you are despite your fears. It was a theme I quite enjoyed.

I give this book 4 1/2 stars. While it didn't have quite the impact that Garden Spells had on me it still wove it's magic about me and I enjoyed myself with the Waverleys. I recommend it to those that enjoy magical realism.

24 comments:

  1. 4.5 stars is the kind of rating I want to see from a book 2, not quite as good as its predecessor, but pretty darned close.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed this one. Glad to be back with the family. :)

      Delete
  2. The magical aspect and the theme sounds like a winner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I didn't enjoy this one as much as I did Garden Spells but it was a joy to return to the Waverly household nevertheless. Wonderful review, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your review. I think I enjoyed this one more than you did, but I'm glad we both had fun returning to this family. :)

      Delete
  4. I read Garden Spells so long ago I barely remember it. I also have some of her other books I want to read. I've been seeing this everywhere though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the same for me, but this book brought some of it back. I think you could read this one without a reread of the first easily.

      Delete
  5. You liked his one better than I did. I still enjoyed it but I couldnt' stand the whole story line with the con man and it felt like it wasn't wrapped up at the end. Still I read everything MS. Allen writes and I can't wait for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't bother me at al. It did feel a bit out of place, but I felt it was to show how forgiving the sisters could become. It was more about what they gained then lost.

      Delete
  6. That cover is gorgeous, and magical realism? Where has this book been all my life? I'm glad you enjoyed it, Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy her writing if you haven't read her yet! :)

      Delete
  7. I loved this one as well. Garden Spells is hands down my favorite and I loved going back and visiting them for a season..I hope she does it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo. Now that sounds like a lovely tale. Feels magical too, watching the trailer. ;D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's nice that the two books were good, I don't think I remember book 1... not sure at all. But I'll check that out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intrigued by the sound of this series, I'm hoping our library will be able to get hold of both the books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like but don't usually love magical realism. It's fun to imagine just a small amount of magic in the world but I like more magic in my stories, usually. Spoiled with UF, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so in love with that cover. I've read several good reviews for this book and I'll be sure to read it soon.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooo so an author I really do need to check out. I've eyed hers before but for some reason never picked one up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the trailer, but think I'll pick up Garden Spells first. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i too love magical realism, sometimes it feels like those books are harder and harder to find. that being said i have this one and really need to read it >><

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooh loved the way you described this book. Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I keep hearing this is lovely and fabulous, but Garden Spells is slightly better, so I think I'll start with that one. Still I need to read this one too! Lovely review :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!