Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Audiobook Review: Seventh Grave and No Body by Darynda Jones



Series: Charley Davidson #7
Narrator: Lorelei King
10 hrs. 30 min.
Unabridged
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Published: 10/21/14
Source: TBR pile
Twelve. Twelve of the deadliest beasts ever forged in the fires of hell have escaped onto our plane, and they want nothing more than to rip out the jugular of Charley Davidson and serve her lifeless, mangled body to Satan for dinner. So there's that. But Charley has more on her plate than a mob of testy hellhounds. For one thing, her father has disappeared, and the more she retraces his last steps, the more she learns he was conducting an investigation of his own, one that has Charley questioning everything she's ever known about him. Add to that an ex-BFF who is haunting her night and day, a rash of suicides that has authorities baffled, and a drop-dead sexy fiancĂ© who has attracted the attentions of a local celebrity, and Charley is not having the best week of her life. 
But all of that combined barely scratches the surface of her problems. Recent developments - and a few distressing prophesies - have forced her to become a responsible adult. Exactly the kind of adult she's never aspired to be. To conquer such a monumental task, she's decided to start small. Really small. She gets a pet. But how can she save the world against the forces of evil when she can't even keep a goldfish alive? A tad north of hell, a hop, skip, and a jump past the realm of eternity, is a little place called Earth, and Charley Davidson, grim reaper extraordinaire, is determined to do everything in her power to protect it. We're doomed.
My thoughts:
What could be better? A series I love, great humor (I LOL'd so many times!), secondary characters I want as family or at least friends, and one smokin' hot demon. *fans self* Yea, you can say I am addicted to this series.

I love Charley's attitude in this book. Faced with certain doom in the form of the twelve, hell hounds who cannot be killed, she still refuses to let them totally change all aspects of her life. She still wants to do what makes her Charley. While this is great for her clients, it is not the same for her cohorts. In fact I believe that several of those cohorts will have several white hairs before this is done. Can demon's get white hair? Hm... I bet Charley will find a way.

While this one was full of humor, there was a tear or two shed. Not everything works out in the end and this event also shoves her in a slightly new direction. Yea, I want to know more too, but like me you will have to anxiously await the next installment in this series.

I also can not end this review without saying something about the narration. Lorelei King nails this book as she did the others. Yes, she is the reason I have done every book in this series so far on audio and will continue. I highly recommend this series on audio.

I give this book 4 1/2 stars. Again another great and entertaining installment in this series. I hope it never ends.

26 comments:

  1. I agree with you, what could possibly be better? Plus Lorelei King is such an amazing narrator. Her voice is Charley's voice in my head. I know she narrates the Mercy Thopmson books as well but I always read those, otherwise it's just too confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree! Plus I am reading the Mercy books too, but once this series is over I think I'll re-read the Mercy series on audio!

      Delete
  2. I so need to get caught up on this series Melissa! I've only read book one, but I loved it, and can't wait to spend more time with Charley. And Reyes. REYES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think you will LOVE the rest of them. Back off girlie... Reyes is MINE (oh and you will love him the more you read!)

      Delete
  3. I am with you on Lorlei King. I enjoy the books far more when I listen vs. reading. And another cliffhanger. ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least this is a cliffie I can handle. Some of them... :p

      Delete
  4. I've read the first two and I think I might grab the third with my next audible credit. I'm glad you loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never seem to be able to get into this series but I wish I did because I love a series which continues its excellence into later installments. Wonderful review!(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Squee..I love this series and as soon as I work my way through a couple series I am going to snag these on audio. I keep watching for sales. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I should get these in audio book. I need to get to this series! :D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm only about halfway through this series. I can't believe I didn't think of listening to these on audio! Thank you!! It's going to be my next audio book!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh I love a good humour in books! I've been hearing great things about this series, so I definitely want to give them a go down the road.

    Fantastic review! <33

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard so many great things about this series Melissa and I love that it's funny! Humour is always a welcome bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got this one in the mail today, hope to read it soon! Great review Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A series that makes one laugh out loud IS something I need every once in a while, and this sounds brilliant. Great review, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dude, what do you do with hellhounds you can't kill? Put them in cement?!? I love this series, though I'm a couple of books behind. Quirky and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This series really sounds like a good one. Everyone I know raves. I have book one that will hopefully one day get started :D Those make you bust out laughing ones are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Charley sounds wonderful and I need to start this series soon

    ReplyDelete
  16. So I hear that I really need to listen to this series instead of read it because the narration makes up for many of the other issues I have with the last two books! Ugh... I'm so frustrated with Charley. I hope the next book is better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These books definitely cause me to LOL a lot too. Yeah, she's going to drive Reyes crazy. But that's part of what I love about her. We need the next book NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay! Charley is hilarious, and I love this series so fiercely. Not quite as far in as you, but I'm hoping to get caught up by May for the new book. Lovely review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. GAH. I just (about an hour ago) reaffirmed my promise to myself to be caught up with this series before book 8 comes out in May . . . Glad you're still loving it, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that you love this series so much. And if can make you laugh even better right? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!