Monday, January 5, 2015

Lowball Edited by George R. R. Martin and Melinda M. Snodgrass

Series: Wild Cards #22
368 p.
Publisher: Tor Books
Published: 11/4/14
Source: From publisher for review
Decades after an alien virus changed the course of history, the surviving population of Manhattan still struggles to understand the new world left in its wake. Natural humans share the rough city with those given extraordinary—and sometimes terrifying—traits. While most manage to coexist in an uneasy peace, not everyone is willing to adapt. Down in the seedy underbelly of Jokertown, residents are going missing. The authorities are unwilling to investigate, except for a fresh lieutenant looking to prove himself and a collection of unlikely jokers forced to take matters into their own hands—or tentacles. The deeper into the kidnapping case these misfits and miscreants get, the higher the stakes are raised. 
-“The Big Bleed” by Michael Cassutt-“Those About to Die” by David Anthony Durham-“Galahad in Blue” by Melinda M. Snodgrass-“Ties That Bind” by Mary Anne Mohanraj-“Cry Wolf” by David D. Levine-“Road Kill” by Walter Jon Williams-“Once More, for Old Time’s Sake” by Carrie Vaughn-“No Parking… “ by Ian Tregillis 
Edited by George R.R. Martin and Melinda M. Snodgrass
My thoughts:
I had not read any of the Wild Card stories prior to reading this one. You don't have to know a thing about those stories to get into this book. It reads like a standalone. I was actually expecting an anthology with all the authors writing the book but I got a full book. In one way it was a bunch of stories about various characters taking the spotlight at one time or another, but it felt cohesive. I feel that is the work of the two editors, George R. R. Martin and Melinda M. Snodgrass.

There were some lulls to the story I would think about skipping but then something would catch my attention. A character would have an interesting trait and I was captivated. The pacing felt a bit uneven when this happened, but not as much as you would think with so many authors. And although you sometimes felt you would have rather followed one character so you didn't feel like you only got a partial story at the same time it felt complete enough. It was just a bit different than what I am used to reading in the format I have been reading. I did enjoy it.

I give this book 4 stars. I recommend it to those that love the Wild Card series. As I said you can read it as a standalone. I also recommend it to those that enjoy sci-fi fantasy.

21 comments:

  1. When I first saw George R.R. Martin's name on this book I got all kinds of excited, but alas he's just the narrator. The wait continues... I'm not familiar with the Wild Card universe either, so it's good news that this works as a stand alone.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually he's not the narrator but the editor. I was happy that it felt like a standalone too. :)

      Delete
  2. I saw that number 22 Melissa and nearly fell out of my chair. I was all "I don't remember her mentioning the previous 21", and then I read that this works as a standalone. Good thing, because 22 is simply too many books for me to get caught up on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was worried I wouldn't get into it, but no problems at all. I didn't feel like I missed so much.

      Delete
  3. My hubby likes martin but I haven't been able to get into his writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't write any of it. The names of the authors (some should be very familiar) are toward the end of the book synopsis (the part in italics).

      Delete
  4. Thank god this one can be read as a standalone because if I were to read 21 other books just to read this one my mind world implode. Too many books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It seems to be a series you can pick up on occasion and enjoy.

      Delete
  5. What an interesting cover. Good to know you can grab this and read it as a stand alone. I have not heard of this series and it's one book 22? What?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the cover too. I didn't hear of this series either and I read sci-fi.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a kind of strange concept - all those authors but one cohesive book.

    I agree with everyone else - glad it's a stand alone or else I would have to pass lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cover. Shudders. This sounds so strange, but your review does have me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You amazing me taking on the 22nd book..and what is on that cover a snake man? I must admit you have me curious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa, this sounds kind of crazy. In a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't sure it was ok to get into this one without the others but it's nice to see it's possible. but wow book 22? that's a lot. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read the Wild Card series, but I'm glad to hear this reads like a standalone so I could start with this. I'm impressed that the collaboration felt like a whole, cohesive novel. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read this series either.Or even heard about it, I don't think. That's great that it worked fine as a stand along though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't heard of this series but I'm glad it can be read as a standalone. It's always fun to sample a series before diving in and really investing a ton of time. Wonderful review, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not read anything Wild Card related but I did get this for review, too. Haven't read it yet because I rather think George R.R. Martin needs to get back to GoT, so he'll finish before he kicks the bucket! Heh. No, seriously, this sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never know where to start with urban fantasy. So much of it seems to be more romance than fantasy, and I would rather have the fantasy part Which I guess makes me a hypocrite since I think the snake guy on the cover is rather hot.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!