Friday, January 16, 2015

Art Book Review: Daily Painting by Carol Marine


Genre: Art
Subtitle: Paint Small and often to Become a More Creative, Productive and Successful Artist
192 p.
Published: 11/4/14
Publisher: Watson-Guptill
Source: Blogging for Books for review
A unique system for jump-starting artistic creativity, encouraging experimentation and growth, and increasing sales for artists of all levels, from novices to professionals. 
Too many artists find themselves in a frustrating rut: unable to sell paintings hanging in galleries, bogged down by projects they can't finish "or "abandon, and using any excuse to avoid working in the studio. Author Carol Marine was herself suffering from painter's block--until she discovered "daily painting." The idea is simple: do art (usually small) often (how often is up to the individual) and, if you desire, post it and sell it online. Today Marine is among the best and most celebrated daily painters, and the curator of the popular online gallery dailypaintworks.com. In her debut, "Daily Painting," Marine reveals the tips and tricks that helped her and other daily painters pick up the paintbrush and start creating beautiful, bountiful, marketable work.
My thoughts:
I love this book! This book really gets down to everything you need to know to successfully start painting every day. It is one way that I do plan on painting (I do have a legit excuse... swear!) so I love having this book to get me inspired and help in the form of a few exercises to help improve your drawing and painting skills. This book can be used by a beginner as well as those more advanced and looking for something to better themselves or just get past a block. The book is aimed primarily at oil painters (since the author does primarily oil, it makes sense) but there are also examples and interviews by artists who paint in other mediums. She even makes mention that a pottery artist was helped by doing small pieces everyday!

I give this book 5 stars. If you are looking for something to really jumpstart your art I highly recommend this book. Little known fact: This blog was supposed to be a daily painting blog, but life had other plans. I will do this one day and now I feel as if I have a guide on how to make it happen.

22 comments:

  1. I didn't know this was supposed to be a painting blog in the beginning! The domain name makes total sense now:) I'm glad this book inspired you Melissa and has you excited to get back into a painting routine:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be fun if you can share your art not he blog (or a new blog)!

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this one over on Blogging for Books. It looked so nice. Yay for getting into painting. I love artistic endeavors though painting is not one of mine. I'm a train wreck when painting comes into the picture. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know this was supposed to be a painting blog! Now your domain makes sense ;) Great review for this one, Melissa. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that this book has hands-on exerciser that were easy to follow, so often they skip steps which makes it really difficult for noobs to figure out what's what. I hope you get back to painting this year. :)

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really only has a few exercises to get you going. The rest are suggestions. It's mostly about painting everyday.

      Delete
  6. My daughter hasn't really got into painting yet, but she LOVES drawing. It's actually become kind of a problem because she doesn't do her school work. She draws in secret when she should be doing it and she's staying up late learning new techniques on youtube. She even started a drawing club at school. I'm sure at some point she'll be ready to try some new stuff though and I'll keep this one in mind for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works for drawing as well! :) All mediums. You could also use drawing time as an incentive to getting that boring homework done. LOL Either that or draw in the margins of notes. I did that all the time.

      Delete
  7. I had this phase where I was really into painting but soon later it became evident that I can't paint at all haha! This looks like a really fun and helpful book, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow 5 stars? It's awesome! I'm not that god at painting, but I used to love to draw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow..i learned something about you and totally get your url address now. Love the sound of this book and even more your enthusiasm for it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how passionate you are about this book and I wasn't aware that you were an art person. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tend to fuss around with acrylics, as they're pretty easy to use and clean up after. The painting daily is great -- it's like writing daily. Get better with time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am hopelessly untalented at painting and crafts, but that doesn't stop me from trying! Glad you enjoyed this, and I had no idea you were going to do a painting blog! That's so cool :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!