Friday, January 9, 2015

Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison

Series: The Hollows #1
416 p.
Publisher: Harper Torch
Published: 7/1/04
Source: TBR pile
All the creatures of the night gather in "the Hollows" of Cincinnati, to hide, to prowl, to party ... and to feed. 
Vampires rule the darkness in a predator-eat-predator world rife with dangers beyond imagining -- and it's Rachel Morgan's job to keep that world civilized. 
A bounty hunter and witch with serious sex appeal and an attitude, she'll bring 'em back alive, dead ... or undead.

My thoughts:

I have to admit that I had trouble really getting into the worldbuilding in this book at first. I even had trouble with liking Rachel Morgan the main character and her vampire friend Ivy. I did love the pixie Jenks and his family from the start which helped me with the other characters as I read more into the story. Despite my problems, there was just enough to interest me and keep me going. I was glad I continued and the story really took off for me about half way through. It kept growing on me from there and I ended up liking all the characters. I also started liking the worldbuilding but I still have some small quibbles with it which will probably solve itself as the series goes along. That happens a lot with fantasy and urban fantasy.

I didn't like the possible romance presented in this book. However, it is UF and romance isn't usually the star in books like this. Romance often takes it's time and needs a few books to really get established. It might happen here, it might not. So therefore I'm not too concerned about this potential romantic entanglement.

I give this first book 3 1/2 stars. I can see the potential here and I have a feeling that this is a series that will get better as it goes along. I recommend it to those that enjoy UF and want something witchy for their read. I can't wait to continue this series.

27 comments:

  1. Almost everyone who has read this series will tell you the first book is the roughest, but they get better and better. So definitely stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens a lot in UF so no fear, I won't abandon it. :)

      Delete
  2. I liked this one but wasn't wow by it. It took me a little more to be really carried away by the series but it became one of my favorite! I hope it will be like that for you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be the same for me. I know I will get there. :)

      Delete
  3. Please don't give up on this series. I will admit that book one isn't a knock your socks off book, but it grows a lot with each book. It became one of my favorite UF series. I miss Rachel and the gang already, especially Jenks. He was my favorite. Wait to you meet Al. He is fun too.

    I see that you're signed up for the audiobook challenge. I loved this series on audio. I thought the narrator that they had for it was perfect. You might want to give it a try. I know that my library had them on audio, don't know if yours will or not, but worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't give up. I know that a lot of UF goes that way. They need to get things established and sometimes it takes a bit away from the plot and characters. I am thinking about doing the rest on audio. I had the first book so I decided to read it. :)

      Delete
  4. I felt much the same way about this first book Melissa, but I've heard that each book is better than the last. I made it to book 3 or 4 before I had to step away because one of my major deal breakers happened, but I've been considering picking it back up and trying it again:) Looking forward to your thoughts on the next books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh deal breakers. Okay, I'll do my best to get through them. I'd love to see if you change your mind if you continue!

      Delete
  5. I didn't get passed this book. although I've been told by a number of bloggers that I really should give this series a second chance. Good to know that I'm not the only one didn't instantly fall for The Hollows.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually give up on UF on the first book. By the third... well, it should be moving a bit better by then. :)

      Delete
  6. Hmm, the fact that you had initial problems with the world-building really gives me pause about this book. I'm not sure it's for me, but I'm glad to hear you're continuing the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it when they say that it gets better. UF often does. :)

      Delete
  7. I keep hearing this series gets better further in, so I'm holding out hope that you get your worldbuilding questions answered and that the romance gets better too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an all time favorite series and they definitely get better. Especially the romance. I can't wait until you read more of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! It is so good to know that so many peeps I trust tell me it gets better as it progresses.

      Delete
  9. I loved this series, and I remember not being overly impressed by the first book. Give it some time it really does get better and better. I think the series moves into the amazing realm with book 8.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can't wait to get totally captivated by this series!

      Delete
  10. I felt the same way..it is the curse of the first book in UF..keep at it because it is such an awesome series. I love all of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been meaning to try out this series myself so I'm glad you found potential with it, Melissa. I'll be curious to see what you make of the later installments--I certainly hope they only improve! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had the same problem you did Melissa, but the series is worth continuing. Rachel is very unlucky in the love department, so don't despair of her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I have another book by her

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a shame that the characters and world struggled to pull you in at first, Melissa! I've seen a few reviews for this series--I do hope that the next instalments improve for you.

    Lovely review, Melissa <33

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like this author but have yet to cross over to her adult series. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a series that I have been meaning to try but kept waiting for it to be complete so I can read them back to back. I have heard the first book is the weakest of all of them, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy most of the book in spite of the shady world building.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your review, like @Rummanah, this is a series I've been hearing great things about and thinking of trying. It's good to know I shouldn't expect to be WOW'd by the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is one I'm a little nervous about starting. I have this book on the shelves just keep putting it off. Hope the next one meshes a little more for ya!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!