Monday, October 27, 2014

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

Series: Snow Like Ashes #1
422 p.
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Published: 10/14/14
Source: From Edelweiss and publisher for review
A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making. 
Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since. 
Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again. 
So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.
My thoughts:
This is one of those books that I would give to a reluctant fantasy reader. I know that a lot of high fantasy can be bogged down with details making it hard to read for those that aren't used to that sort of writing. This, however, is not bogged down with details, but gives just the right amount to keep the story moving and still put you fully in that world. I was enthralled with the story but once I hit the half way mark, I had a hard time putting it down. Who needs sleep?

My favorite thing about this book is Meira. I loved her transformation from a typical teen wanting to prove herself into a true leader. I also loved the world building in the book. And I will caution you about one thing... there is a love triangle brewing. Not sure how it will play out but it was done in such a way it didn't bother me in the least. I did feel on edge about it, but my worries never manifested. I suspect it is because romance is not a major player in this story but promises to readdress itself in later editions of this series.

I give this book 5 stars. I really enjoyed this book and my only complaint is that I don't have the second book in my hot little hands! As I said above I would recommend it to those that are reluctant to get into the fantasy genre.

PS... anyone kept picturing Xena when seeing this cover? One reason I loved it! LOL

30 comments:

  1. I loved Xena *misses Xena and the hunks in it*
    And this does sound great :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that you were really looking forward to this book, Melissa, so I was thrilled to see your 5-star review this morning! That cover totally screams Xena, and it's always a good sign when your own complaint it having to wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear you say that! I haven't read it yet but I have it! I've really moved away from fantasy because of the 'confusion'!
    Can't wait to start it! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this one is less heavy handed than "big" fantasy so I think you'll enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. "Reluctant fantasy reader" <- that would be me. I'll have to give it a try.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few that I could recommend. Yep, this is one. :)

      Delete
  5. This is my next read and I can't wait. So much praise for this one, and I love that world building isn't over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh i'm so happy to hear you ended up enjoy this one so much! I finished it the other week two and did end up really liking but like only gave it about 4 stars. I'm also really looking forward to the sequel and seeing where everything goes! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved watching Meira and her growth in this one as well

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!! This got 5 stars from me too Melissa, I just loved everything about it. The love triangle was a non-issue for me as well, and I'm hoping it continues to be so in the next two books:) Can it be Fall 2015 already?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wahoo...woot! Woot! I am so dancing over here and it ain't pretty. I loved the book two, so I am over the moon exciting that it rocked a 5 out of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard great things for this one and wow 5/5? that's awesome! I'm glad it was a hit for you as well. I need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. *Raises hand* I'm a reluctant fantasy reader. I think I pretty much HAVE to read this book now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard only good things about this one and I can't wait until the day I can manage to fit it in. It's not often I see a 5 star review here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope to read this one in a few weeks. I already ordered it and I'm trying really hard not to keep checking if it's been shipped.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! Who needs sleep. Great to hear! And is a new book to me, so I'm going to have to add to the want list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard so many great things about this, and I can't wait to try it for myself! I love when fantasy worlds are well-developed but too complicated (my little mind can't handle that...LOL!), and it sounds this does just that. Can't wait to give this a try! *scowls at library for being so slow*

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woow, 5 Stars? I definitely need to get my hands on this in that case! So glad you enjoyed this one, Melissa--can't wait to find a new fantasy favorite in it as well. Gorgeous review, dear!(:

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well dang. You have me curious and wanting to give it a try. Love when you can really see a character grow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. As a reader who struggles with what you call high fantasy and in particular world building this one really does appeal to me. Great review, thanks for what sounds like another winner of a read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Xena the warrior princess! I used to watch that show when I was little. I sort of imagine it as Elsa but a bit more...Tomb Raider like. LOL. Still, I really loved this book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Currently reading this myself so did not read your entire review, but glad to see the 5 stars! Yup, it totally makes me think of Xena. I miss Xena heh

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay 5 stars! So glad to hear you loved this one too. And yes to the Xena cover - I totally see it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!