Friday, October 10, 2014

Early Review: The Cure for Dreaming by Cat Winters



Standalone
368 p.
Publisher: Amulet Books
Published: 10/14/14
Source: NetGalley and Publisher for review
Olivia Mead is a headstrong, independent girl—a suffragist—in an age that prefers its girls to be docile. It’s 1900 in Oregon, and Olivia’s father, concerned that she’s headed for trouble, convinces a stage mesmerist to try to hypnotize the rebellion out of her. But the hypnotist, an intriguing young man named Henri Reverie, gives her a terrible gift instead: she’s able to see people’s true natures, manifesting as visions of darkness and goodness, while also unable to speak her true thoughts out loud. These supernatural challenges only make Olivia more determined to speak her mind, and so she’s drawn into a dangerous relationship with the hypnotist and his mysterious motives, all while secretly fighting for the rights of women. Winters breathes new life into history once again with an atmospheric, vividly real story, including archival photos and art from the period throughout.
My thoughts:
I've been hearing raves about this author's historical fiction. I had to try this one. It is about Olivia at the time of the suffragists. It is an important period of time and while she was light on the horrors historically that the women were put through, she was able to catch that horror within the magical qualities of Henri Reverie's hypnotism. I thought it was a great metaphor.

I think that this is a great time for this book. In a time where young women seem to think that feminism means hatred or subjugation of men which is very far from the truth. Feminism is about equality. Equal chances and equal pay. We need to show the past so we do not repeat it. For those that think we won't repeat it, I recently heard two men comment (on tv) on the bad decision America had when it made women voting legal. Ah, but now I'm digressing from the book and as you can see, it can give you a lot to think about in the present day.

I enjoyed the characters of this book. I loved following Olivia who really started knowing who she was and what she was willing to stand for. I even enjoyed her portrayal of Olivia's father. Monstrous in how he treated her, but yet you still felt an undercurrent of vulnerability. You were reminded he was also lonely and scared but you also knew he was unwilling to change.

I give this book 4 stars. I enjoyed the writing and how she presented that some people would change and others would cleave to their old way of thinking. I recommend this to young women and those that enjoy a good historical fiction with some magic woven into the story.

24 comments:

  1. I love the ideas of this one, it's not something we usually have! And the reviews are great! so intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that sounds interesting. It really is important to remember these things. I do battle over the right to vote and how people waste it. One woman I know votes for whoever is cuter. Now I'm all for buying items because of that but voting our leaders based on it. Oys. But total tangent. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great cover. Though set in 1990 this sounds like a fairly topical read in a time when as you say feminism seems to have lost its way a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. minus 90 years... ;) I don't think feminism has lost it's way, but the definition has for certain.

      Delete
  4. The reviews for this book have been phenomenal, and I think yours might have just pushed me into YES territory. Historicals aren't high up on my genres to-read list, but if you throw in a bit of magic, then that's different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have to admit I liked it more because of it. :)

      Delete
  5. I agree completely Melissa, the past is never fully in the past, and I think we can always learn something by taking a closer look at it. I think this book is going to piss me off like no other, but in that "I'm emotionally involved" kind of way and I love it when that happens:) Can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can handle it. :) This is one I'm pretty certain you would like.

      Delete
  6. "I recently heard two men comment (on tv) on the bad decision America had when it made women voting legal." WHAAAAT??

    I think it's hard for younger women to realize all the things women fought for (& still need to fight for) so this does indeed sound like a timely book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea... my jaw dropped when I heard it. O.o

      I think the true definition needs to be reasserted.

      Delete
  7. Yay! I'm glad you liked this one. I love the way the author combines historical events along with the magic/paranormal. And you're absolutely right about the concept of feminism has been warped. I'm so stoked to read it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me it seemed that the author used the magic as a metaphor to what was happening. I think you will like this one. :)

      Delete
  8. Oooh I've read some really cool reviews on this book. I will have to pick this book up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the women vote comment, wtf men, really

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had my eye on this one for a whole after seeing the cover and just reading your review makes me want to read this one so bad! I feel like I'm going to end up getting serouisly involved in this one. I need to read this one ASAP! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds good, with an important message. You comment about those men made my jaw drop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've yet to read a Cat Winters book, but she's been on my radar for awhile, and you just sold me on this one. I do enjoy a good HF with a touch of magic, but more importantly, YES, feminism is about equality, and I am highly curious to see that portrayed here. It drives me nuts when I see "feminist" acquaintances ranting about the objectification of women on facebook, when I know for FACT that they have more than one pinterest board full of objectified men.<-----ridiculous. Not to mention how counterproductive that kind of blatant hypocrisy is. And that's where I'll end that rant, LOL. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited to read this one and desperately need to just pick up my ARC already. I know I'm going to love it and a strong, feminist read is exactly up my alley. Fantastic review, Melissa!(:

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really, really loved this one! It made me think and I learned a lot. But it was a fun story and takes place in my town so it was fun to 'see' the familiar streets, even though it was so long ago and different then.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love historical fiction and this sounds wonderful! Can't wait to get myself a copy. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!