Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Something About Harry by Dakota Cassidy

Series: Accidentally Friends #8, Accidental Werewolf #2
320p.
Publisher: Berkley Trade
Available Now
Source: Goodreads First Reads Program for review
He’s in a furry situation. 
Accountant Harry Ralph Emerson has always been a by-the-numbers kind of guy. But when he finds himself trapped at work sprouting an obscene amount of hair, he knows his odds for maintaining normalcy are zero to none. After a frantic internet search, Harry goes through the OOPS—Out in the Open Paranormal Support—checklist and comes to a disheartening conclusion: He’s turning into a werewolf and he needs help ASAP. 
She might be the only solution. 
Werewolf Mara Flaherty has long carried a torch for Pack Cosmetics’s sexy single accountant, even after her attempt to seduce him went down in flames. When her sister-in-law, Marty, shows up to handle Harry’s OOPS emergency, she tasks Mara with showing the hirsute hottie the ropes. But Mara knows Harry’s condition is a result of her lab experiment gone wrong—and the previously mild-mannered object of her affection is about to give her a piece of his mind…
My thoughts:
This book read much like the first book I just reviewed, The Accidental Werewolf. It has much of the same kind of formula to it and it is no less enjoyable. Even though this sounds quite predictable and much of it was, I still found myself loving the characters in the book. It actually made me WANT to read the rest of this series and really dive into these characters... especially Nina! Love that snarky gal. :)

Now despite what I just said about the predictability... the ending threw me a curve! I didn't expect that. I was totally going in the wrong direction but at least I was on the same page as the characters. Oh and no, I'm not telling you what "that" is...  :) Seriously, stop waiting for me to tell you what "that" was because you should know by now that I'm not going to tell. You'll just have to read it for yourself. Oh and can you read this book out of order? Well, yes. Granted I did read book 1 to start and I would suggest doing at least that because it is a great way to be introduced to the main characters. I don't think it is completely necessary though... and I do believe you will end up like me and wanting all the rest even sooner than planned. :)

I give this book 4 stars. If you are looking for a light PNR with a bit of fun and snark, do try this series. I can't wait to dive into the rest of them.

20 comments:

  1. Another fantastic book cover. I find predictable ok for a while but it can get tiring in a long running series of books so its good that this threw a curve in book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, even if it does have the same kind of formula. I really like that in books. So long as there is new characters, plot twist, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It was enjoyable, but I did think people might want to know. :)

      Delete
  3. I actually like when there's somewhat of a formula within a series like this. Especially when there's a curve or two thrown in for good measure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that this one had you going along thinking you knew how everything was going to play out and then BAM! Curveball:) So glad you're enjoying this series Melissa! Is Nina's book next? I can't wait to see what you think of hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I understand, Nina was in one of the earlier books. This is #2 in the werewolf part, but #8 in the friends series. A bit confusing, but it makes sense when you read it (or it did when I read these 2). :D

      Delete
  5. Oh I haven't read this one, I didn't know this one was combining two series. Maybe I should try it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does and doesn't. I would just consider it part of the friends series. :D

      Delete
  6. Awww you read more! I want ta book by her now too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is another series I've been wanting to read! I love that these covers are so different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always so impressed that you are able to read these books out of order. I might take your advice and read the first book first, then skip around. It's so lovely to be able to do that when the series are so full of installments I feel like I'll never catch up. Glad you enjoyed this and that the end surprised you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you're enjoying this series, Melissa - I must check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you are really enjoying this series. I added book one to my Amazon wishlist. Yes, it is 9 pm and I am just getting around to visiting all of my fav blogs. Things are cray-cray..kind of like there is a huge holiday in less then a week! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice review Melissa, thank you. One day I will read this series :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the covers of these books. I did check and I do have the third book and even though I want to read the first two, I am thinking in the interest of time I may be reading out of order!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't mind formulaic and predictable as long as I get a few good laughs out of it! And like Heidi, I really like the covers. At least they are different. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've read a couple books by Dakota and I loved them. I've been wanting to try this one for awhile now. I'm glad you found the books fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!