Monday, December 9, 2013

Early Review: How to Run with a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf #3) by Molly Harper


Series: Naked Werewolf #3
352p.
Published: 12/31/13
Publisher: Pocket Books
Source: Edelweiss and Publisher for review
Caleb Graham is a werewolf by nature, a tracker by profession. He uses his “extra gifts” to find people, and not always in the most legal or ethical manner. He doesn’t care what they’ve done, or who wants them found, as long as his considerable fee is paid. He likes his life simple and uncomplicated. 
Anna Moder, former physician to Caleb’s pack, happens across Caleb during a particularly violent “negotiation” that has left him bloodied and unconscious. She helps him, despite the fact that he’s cost her a car, so he insists that she stay with him on the road for a while. As they grow closer, Anna looks past the gruff exterior and and the questionable job to thoroughly decent werewolf underneath. 
Anna – who is careful to edit her involvement with Caleb’s pack from their conversations – doesn’t talk about why a nice girl wants to live in the middle of frozen nowhere, but she’s obviously on the run from something. When Anna’s past collides with Caleb’s current assignment from one of his sleazier contacts, Caleb finally has to make a choice—protect his job…or his potential mate?
My thoughts:
First, I have to say that I miss the cartoonish covers. This one is just way too serious for me. :) Plus, I don't see Anna/Tina wearing that in the cold. Okay, now that I've talked about the outside... here is the inside of the book:

This book is not as humorous as the previous two. However, this is still a Molly Harper book so don't be too disappointed, there is plenty of snark and humor still within the pages. Even with the snark, there were still somethings that sort of bothered me. Sort of until I chose to ignore them. Anna has a form of PTSD and so some of the things Caleb does would trigger her. Also, some of his attitude is totally not warranted if she was so scarred. However, once I decided that it is a PNR and magic could totally make these things "okay" to ignore (magic started the healing process), then it didn't bother me so much. I mean I read these books for entertainment. It did entertain.

I do like the way Anna/Tina grew. Even if it isn't totally on a believable path, I really did like the way Caleb handled things in the end. That really endeared me to him. I also loved the secondary characters... especially Maggie. She was funnier in this book than in her own.

In the end I give this book 4 stars. It is entertaining if nothing else. I needed something to make me laugh and this did the trick. I recommend this book for fans of Molly Harper! :) Don't forget to preorder your copy.

27 comments:

  1. it sounds nice! I haven't tried this series by this author but I have her other one and loved it. I need to go back to her books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't able to finish this one. It lacked Harper's trademark humor, I didn't feel much for the characters, and the romance just didn't draw me in. I read about half of it and got so tired with the constant moving from one place to another that I just gave up on it. I'm glad you did like it, however, Melissa!(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humor came later... mostly with Maggie (surprisingly enough). :)

      Delete
  3. Hmm..this one does seem troublesome. Not sure if I could overlook something as series as PTSD. Still curious enough to pick up a book by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not making too light of it. It was more like... *ponders* "wouldn't that trigger her..." than like... "Oh no he didn't!" So, it's not overlooking it exactly...

      Delete
  4. Glad you enjoyed it, and I have heard these are funny, I am concerned about the PTSD, but I guess I would need to read it to decide. Wonderful review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not bad, and it makes so much sense in the scheme of things...

      Delete
  5. I definitely miss the cartoonish covers too Melissa! Those just set the tone for this series, and I agree this cover doesn't give that same feel. Though, I guess if this one isn't quite as funny, then maybe this cover does fit. I'm bummed humor isn't as prominent in this one, it's what so attracted me to the series in the first place, but there's something to be said for a book that simply entertains. That's more than enough for me sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't think the cover fits. I mean I have no idea who would wear pantless in the dead of winter unless you WERE a were. (oh... were... were.. LOL)

      ...says the girl with a pantless model on the header...

      Delete
  6. A great, fun title but I also prefer those cartoon like covers. A series my sister in law has just getting in to, needless to say I'll be asking to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I much preferred the cartoonish covers too. I thought they reflected the overall tone of the books really good.
    I liked the first one a lot, on audio, actually. I thought it was endlessly entertaining. I really need to go back to this series, preferably on audio again.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful review! This is another series that I want to get into.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's just something about a nekkid werewolf. Sad that this wasn't as humorous as the others but Molly Harper always comes through in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I requested this because I so want to try this series, shall I read in or order or not? I agree about the covers. I really don't like the new ones. They look stupid. Seriously, who would wear that in the snow? Kind of like those covers with shirtless men outside in a snowstorm. Stupid!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think she needs to wear something under that jacket! This is a series I need to put on my reading list. It sounds funny and I love snark! Yes, magic heals a lot. Too bad there isn't more of it around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still need to read the first two! This series sounds awesome and I love snark, so I think I'd really like Molly's writing style. But yeah, not a huge fan of this cover either. Thanks for sharing your lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice review Melissa, one day I will read one of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been wanting to read this author! I agree, I like the original covers. I'm thinking I might grab the first for a Christmas present to myself...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!