Monday, December 10, 2012

Girl of Nightmares (Anna #2) by Kendare Blake

It's been months since the ghost of Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell in her basement and disappeared into it, but ghost-hunter Cas Lowood can't move on.

His friends remind him that Anna sacrificed herself so that Cas could live—not walk around half dead. He knows they're right, but in Cas's eyes, no living girl he meets can compare to the dead girl he fell in love with.

Now he's seeing Anna everywhere: sometimes when he's asleep and sometimes in waking nightmares. But something is very wrong...these aren't just daydreams. Anna seems tortured, torn apart in new and ever more gruesome ways every time she appears.

Cas doesn't know what happened to Anna when she disappeared into Hell, but he knows she doesn't deserve whatever is happening to her now. Anna saved Cas more than once, and it's time for him to return the favor.
This is a frustrating, dark, interesting, compelling, great ending to Anna Dressed in Blood. Yep, it's only 2 books, but a satisfying conclusion to the first book. Hm... I guess you can't tell that I really enjoyed the book. Also, look at that cover, it's amazing!

The frustrating part was intentional. I was frustrated with people telling Cas to let Anna go when you just knew there was something more to what was going on. People who supposedly knew so much would try to stand in his way instead of getting answers they all needed. Still, this whole part built tension that concluded in the ending that was fulfilling.

I give this book 4 1/2 stars. You must read these in order (I mean, really there are only 2 books here) but you will not be disappointed with these books. If you like dark YA then you will enjoy your time with Anna and the gang.

14 comments:

  1. You're recommending to read a series in order...? Is it cold in hell today...? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the first one and really like it. Still need to read this too. I can't read books out of order. I'm so ocd about it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda liked the angsty feel to this one. I think people tried to get in the way because they were afraid of what became of Anna. I mean it's not normal to fall for a dead girl, right? I thought the ending was really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I really need to try the first one, it sounds so good! LOL I will take you asvice to read them in order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was really frustrated with people telling Cas to let Anna go too! I wanted to throttle them and be like "LISTEN HERE, you don't know what's going on with the two of them!" Glad you enjoyed this one Melissa, I can't wait for Kendare's next book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this but it didn't measure up to Anna. It lacked a bit of the scare factor. I liked getting to know Carmel, Thomas and Morfran better but I felt a little sad that there was no HEA for Cas. Oh well still a great series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard that book 1 is excellent so that does make me really curious

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this book too. Not as much as the first, but it was a great read still! I just love Cas and would like more. Too bad there won't be more of him. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh a two book series. Cool. Sounds like a good one. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first one is part of my 12 YA reads for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started this one and it didn't capture me like the first one so I set it aside. But if you say it's that good, I'll take your word for it and give it another try. I do want to finish the series. And I'd love a happy ending for Cas!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't like Girl of Nightmares NEARLY as much as Anna... It was just 'okay' for me after the EPICNESS that was Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed the first book more just because there was more of Anna but I liked how this one was a little unconventional.

    I'm with you - it bothered me that people didn't understand Cas's connection to her and hello!!! she saved them so now you should help her! lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was fustrated too, but more by the strange behavior of some characters than anything else, and Cas' moping and whining didn't help either. I gave this one 3.5 so I enjoyed it slightly less than you, but I still thought it was pretty good.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!