Sunday, October 23, 2011

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake


Description:
Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead. 
So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay. 
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: track, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, now stained red and dripping with blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home. 
But she, for whatever reason, spares Cas's life.
This was a scary, creepy ghost story without at doubt! In fact, I felt this was scarier than some of the adult books I have been reading lately. Even so, it wasn't too scary that it would keep me up at night. I would still say it was for older YA crowds unless you know the younger kiddos can handle it (I knew a few... LOL).

Within this dark ghost story we have Cas. After his father's horrific death at the hands of a ghost, he becomes obsessed with continuing the family "job" by eliminating ghosts that harm the living. He is notified of Anna's haunting and becomes more than interested. There is something about this ghost... Now, if you think I'm going to reveal any more then you haven't been at my blog that long. So, those that know are prepared for the next two words: *evil laugh*. You will have to read the book to see what happens between Cas and Anna. It's too good to not reveal!

I will say that I really loved the characters in this book. Even what are usually one dimensional characters (nerd, head social princess) are fleshed out and you find yourself really liking them all. Even Anna. Yes, the ghost who harms the living is given great characterization. So much you feel sympathy for her. There was also a part in the book I hated. Can't say why, but it was toward the end and I shake my fist at Kendare for having it as a part of the story. I kept hoping that part wasn't true and will keep hoping when I read the next book. *sigh* Curious now? :)

I give this book 4 1/2 stars and really can't wait for 2012 until the next book comes out. I recommend it to those that really enjoy a dark horror book even if they are adults.

So, are you wanting to read this book? Then don't forget our Trick or Treat event. The more you trick or treat the better chance you have to win. All information is HERE.
Have fun and Good Luck!

26 comments:

  1. I've heard pretty much nothing but great things about this book. I love creepy reads, and I'm glad you mentioned that you liked the characters. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is haunting me so I must read it soon. Thanks for a great review which will make the book haunt me more! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely a book I want to read - even with your evil laugh holding back details! ;)
    The cover drew me in to begin with and now with all the positive reviews - me wanty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, I am totally intrigued by this book, and would love to read it. A guy as the main character is something not often occurring in the books I read.

    p.s. I watched the movie Ghost yesterday ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've this one in my wishlist... I really need to read it, I'm glad you liked it too I've heard so great things about it ! It's nice to have something different, something scarier sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. In addition to making me want to read this book even more, now I'm wondering what fist-shaking plot development has got you disturbed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay that you like this one. I'm so in the need for a creepy book and it sounds like I don't have look any further. Can't wait to read this one. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of the blogs I read have given this book a pretty high rating, I'm getting curiouser and curiouser lol xD

    ReplyDelete
  9. So looking forward to this scary read, thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really? That scary? The cover makes me think cute ghost story. But yes, I've been hearing wondering things about Cas! Can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I SERIOUSLY have heard nothing but AMAZING things about this one!!! I can't wait to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary DeBorde

    With all the fab reviews for Anna Dressed in Blood, I've GOT to get my hands on this - it sounds like something I'd really enjoy reading!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got me curious about that part that you hoped was not true...ohhhh very curios :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anna was amazing. I felt SO many emotions for her character! I think Kendare did a fantastic job on characterization, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seriously wonderful review. I was immediately intrigued by the ghost Anna. I totally want to know more. You did it! You whetted my appetite. Thanks! Running to put it on my wish list. I love a scary story whether adult or YA. As a kid I got hooked on horror after reading Night Shift (it was in my grandmother's bedside drawer). I've never been the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Natalie... Oh I hope you get it soon. I really think you'll love it.

    @Anachronist... BOO! ;D

    @Mel... I know... that cover is just too good!

    @Aurian... That is so true. You don't often get guys as the main character. Btw, did you make some pottery? ;)

    @Melliane...Oh this one is scarier! :D

    @Stephanie... Bwa ha ha! It was like this... *zap* Oops, can't comment... ;D

    @Nina...You want creepy? Yep, this one is for you!

    @Samita... Go into the looking glass. You will enjoy it! :D

    @Rain... I hope you like it as much as I did!

    @Missie... YES! Really! ;) There are cute parts within the... BOO!

    @Ashley... I thought you didn't like scary? See! The others were less scary than this one!

    @M.A.D...Oh I really think you'll enjoy it. It was good!

    @Blodeuedd... *giggles* You'll have to read it and then figure it out. I don't think anyone else felt the same way, but I could be wrong.

    @Smash... Oh yes! So true!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Kalea... I hope you get it. I really did think it was creeptastic and although it may not keep you up at night, I think you will still enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow! That creepy huh? I really love the sounds of this one. I think I need it as well. *sigh* Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really want to read this book too. It sounds very good. Tore923@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to read this SO bad, but I am a teensy bit scared by the idea of a ghost story. Ghosts legit scare the shiz out of me. And I'm scared of everything right now, thanks to watching Paranormal Activity the other night. I"m so happy you enjoyed this book and I'm thinking I need to man up and read it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dude! Loved this book! I mean really loved it. I thought the story behind was just so sad :( But Cas sure knew how to light up my day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really want to read this. Ghost stories! yay! :] Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  23. Random fact - the last time I went trick or treating...age 22 - 8 years ago - I use the excuse that I was taking my nephews!
    Pabkins @ Mission to Read

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been seeing this book everywhere lately, and the more I hear about it the more I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay, so now I'm wondering which part it was that you didn't want in there. I've already read it, so you won't give anything away.:D Promise! But I'm immensely curious.

    I'm glad you loved this book, too. It was a fun kind of horror. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so on the fence on this one---

    so be honest...

    Amount of YA Angst involved?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!