Friday, December 7, 2012

Audio Review: Second Grave on the Left (Charlie Davidson #2) by Darynda Jones


When Charley is rudely awakened in the middle of the night by her best friend who tells her to get dressed quickly and tosses clothes out of the closet at her, she can’t help but wonder what Cookie’s up to. Leather scrunch boots with a floral miniskirt? Together? Seriously? Cookie explains that a friend of hers named Mimi disappeared five days earlier and that she just got a text from her setting up a meet at a coffee shop downtown. They show up at the coffee shop, but no Mimi. But Charley finds a message on the bathroom wall. Mimi left a clue, a woman’s name. Mimi’s husband explains that his wife had been acting strange since she found out an old friend of hers from high school had been found murdered a couple weeks prior. The same woman Mimi had named in her message. 
Meanwhile, Reyes Alexander Farrow (otherwise known as the Son of Satan. Yes. Literally) has left his corporeal body and is haunting Charley. He’s left his body because he’s being tortured by demons who want to lure Charley closer. But Reyes can’t let that happen. Because if the demons get to Charley, they’ll have a portal to heaven. And if they have a portal to heaven…well, let’s just say it wouldn’t be pretty. Can Charley handle hot nights with Reyes and even hotter days tracking down a missing woman? Will Cookie ever get a true fashion sense? And is there enough coffee and chocolate in the world to fuel them as they do?
Ah... Reyes... uh, excuse me, I mean this is the second book in this series. This one had me LOL'ing a lot. I also have to say that I'm totally going to try her fake plant craft. Heh... that is something I'd SO do, and that is just one small detail that makes this book so priceless. Yes, Charley makes her plants look like they are dying (I didn't think that would be too much of a spoiler... LOL). Stop looking at me like that... it's not like I came UP with the idea... I just like it.

The chapters are broken up with t-shirt slogans and bumper sticker sayings as the last one. Two of my faves made the list:
There is nothing to fear but fear itself... and spiders
What am I doing in this handbasket? Where am I going?
Yep, if you couldn't tell already, you know I loved this book.

I really enjoyed the secondary characters in this book. LOVED Cookie and so want her as my friend. I also loved the coming together of Charlie with the rest of her family. My only complaint was Charlie herself. Usually in these UF books I want to kick the male protagonist in the hiney for being so stubborn but this time it was Charlie! Still, I am curious as to where she takes the story next as not everything was wrapped up and Charlie is continually exploring who she can become and who she is within humanity. Even with all that hiney kicking, I would still totally love her as a friend. We should totally hang out... staring at Reyes. ;)

As for the audio portion, Lorelei King totally rocks this book. Love her voice changes for each character and her vocal pacing is just perfect. She totally draws me into the story.

I give this audiobook 4 1/2 stars! I can't wait for the next installment. I just love hanging out with Charlie and her friends and family (except Denise... lol).

19 comments:

  1. I need to read this series!! I actually have the books as I've been convinced by so many reviews that I would like it...just need to open the covers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this series! Is this similar to the Night Huntress Series? If so, yes I am so going to enjoy it, I just know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. Those are more older YA, these are definitely adult. Charlie series also has a lot more humor in it. I do think you'd enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. I read the first one a couple weeks ago and loved it, I can't wait to get caught up on the rest of the books. Darynda Jones just has such a great sense of humor, I adore Charley and REYES!!!!! and pretty much everything about this series:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what Jenny you read this and didn't tell me? Did I miss your review? Melissa and Jenny you both know what a huge fan of this series I am. Charley always makes me laugh and I love Darynda Jones. I am glad that you both are loving the series as much as I do! Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs!

      Delete
    2. Back off slowly from Reyes Jenny. I know you... you'll steal him from me... uh Charlie.. :)

      Oh yea Heidi.. I'm so enjoying this series so much!

      Delete
  4. Yaaay! so glad you loved it! Do you think it's better to listen it? I haven't tried any audiobooks yet but maybe I should try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it's better, but the narrator is one of the best and she really has great pacing and draws you into the story.

      Delete
  5. I just got this one as I loved the first when I read it earlier this year. I'm so glad you loved it! I definitely need to fit it in soon. And I need to try the audio sometime too! I prefer audios after I have read the book cause I get distracted so easily. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have got to start this series! I have Death and the Girl Next Door, her YA series, but I haven't had a chance to start that one yet either. But I'm picking it up soon!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you loved it Melissa, I am eagerly looking forward to book 4 to be released in paperback, and I just know you will love book 3 just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa, thank you SO much for those kind words! I love love love recording this series and I'm really happy you're enjoying it! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so love these books and I adore how Lorelei King narrates it, it's not easy to find the right voice for Charley and make her oneliners come across as they should. I also like how she makes Reyes sound... hot, inlike some other narrators who make male protagonists sound like drunken sailors.

    Anyway, Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Maja! :) Darynda Jones has written some fantastic characters, hasn't she?

      Delete
  10. Wow-za. I need to get started on this series. :D I have the first one here. ;) THank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!