Monday, January 9, 2012

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

In this thrilling debut young adult novel, the first of a quartet, Marissa Meyer introduces readers to an unforgettable heroine and a masterfully crafted new world that’s enthralling.
I found this book an interesting twist on the old Cinderella fairy tale. It is written simply, almost like an MG book, but some of the decisions Cinder has to make are for the older YA crowd. No smex, but unfortunately a bit of insta-love. Despite that, I'd say that the character of Cinder was interesting and you did feel for her. I wasn't as connected to Kai, the prince, but I didn't dislike him either. I think I just needed to know more about him other than his lack of confidence in becoming the next emperor to really feel for him.

The plot is predictable, but seriously, when you read a retelling of a fairy tale, it will tend to go that way. However, the setting was very different (in Beijing in a dystopian type setting) even though some of the characters remain the same. The villan as the stepmother was played well and you hated her. However, there was at least one sympathetic sister character and I think that played well into me liking Cinder even more. I also liked that Cinder did not rely on anyone to "save" her even if she hoped for it.

One thing I hated? Well, it was the ending. It wasn't exactly a cliffie that throws you off and makes you hang on to dear life to that branch that keeps slipping the more time goes on without the sequel. However, it does make you suddenly stop right before that cliff and leaves you there to ponder what will happen next. Oh curse you and your sudden stoppage! *shakes fist*

I give this book 3 1/2 stars. I think those who are looking for something different in their fairy tales will really enjoy this one. Just be warned, you'll need the next book in order to feel like you read a complete book.
I received this ARC from the publisher and no compensation for my review was given.

23 comments:

  1. Great point that you can't fault a fairy tale retelling for being a bit predictable. And so glad Cinder isn't relying on someone to save her. Although there's nothing wrong with hoping Prince Charming may come riding in. Too bad Kai doesn't sound like he's harem worthy. How many do you have in that hunky harem now? Too many. Send some my way you greedy wench!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I will say I love that shoe ;) Not too sure i'd be into the story, but I always love the review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol now I'll wait the second book for reading this one thanks! I think it's always the point with this kind of books the end is always predictable. But I'm glad it's a nice book and you enjoyed it. It's always when we don't have a strong connection with a character. I hope it'll improve with the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I'm not sure if I will like this book & I will wait until the second book is out. I do like fairy tales, but I need action & less predictability. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I skipped this one---I love the old Cinder tale but I am just not into modern retellings of it. Now give me Ever After and I will swoon! PS Dougray Scott is in my harem--just stay far far away :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alas I think I'll give this one a miss. I always have problems with rewrites of such loved childhood favourites and your review, though wonderful, does nothing to assure me that I'd enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The end was definitely more of an abrupt stop than a cliffhanger wasn't it? I almost prefer that than being catapulted over the edge of the cliff itself:) I really enjoyed this one, and while I really liked Kai, like you, I want to know more about him. Hopefully we get that in book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that fairy tale retellings are familiar so it's all about the journey and difference to 'normal' for me. I wasn't that keen on this one at first but teh more reviews I read the more curious I am about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone seems to be reading this book. I'm such a doofus for waiting too long to download this from Netgalley when I had the chance. I know with retellings it's not the plot that I'm interested in-since you already know what will happen- but how the author changes it up is what interests me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, not a cliffie! Arghhhhh they drive me to utter madness. Crazy crazy crazy.

    But there is still something over this one

    ReplyDelete
  11. Someone else who had a hard time with the ending!! I seriously was frustrated because it was like the book just ended randomly in the middle of the climax. I didn't feel any kind of falling action it was like hey, huge event...the end. Awkward. I'm still excited for the next book, but that ending irked me a bit. I can handle cliffies, but that was a horse of a different color. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually felt somewhat sympathetic for the stepmother and didn't think she was quite as evil as the stepmother is usually portrayed. There really is no explanation for how Cinder could feel and behave like a human and I didn't really fault her mother for not understanding this about Cinder, and therefore resenting being expected to treat her as one of her human daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha. Love the part about the ending. I'm so curious about this I can't believe all the rave it's been getting! Fabulous review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to say, I think this is the first less than stellar review I've read of this book, though that isn't a bad thing. It's actually brought my over-hyped expectations for Cinder a little back down to earth, which is probably a good thing! I rarely find that hyped books completely live up to my expectations, so I try (and often fail) to keep my expectations reasonable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Alyssa... I think he is harem worthy, but he just didn't feel as fully developed as I would have personally liked. Oh and I always have room for more men... ;D

    @animewookie...You might like it, but that ending!

    @Melliane... The plot is predictable, but it would be, right? :) The connect to Cinder was okay, but not so much to the prince (at least for me).

    @Nina... Well, since we know the plot, it will be predictable, but the circumstances were different. I would wait for the second. I think you might enjoy this one.

    @...Petty... Ah... if you don't like mash ups of fairy tales, then no... don't think you'd like this one.

    @Jenny... Yes! I hated the ending. I agree... old fashioned cliffie is better. I liked Kai but didn't connect as much as I wanted. I hope we know more in #2 as well!

    @Mel... It is a good one if you like mash ups. It is very different! :)

    @Rummanah...Oh then I think you'll really enjoy this one. It has such curious changes!

    @Blodeuedd... I am the same way. However, this ending might make you go off the deep end. ;D You might want the next one ready to go.

    @Jen...Yep... total strange colored horse! ;D We need the next one like now! *shakes fist*

    @Simcha... Oh I thought she was evil especially what she did to Cinder's only ally left. She was human just had limbs that were mechanical. Like someone with an artificial limb. So, she only had mechanical parts, but the rest of her was human as far as the stepmother knew. She knew she could hurt her like any other human with feelings.

    @Giselle... Thanks! I hope you get it, but do be warned of that ending!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting review, Melissa. I read a review that said they liked the way Kai and Cinder's relationship developed because it didn't feel like insta-love. I guess everyone has a different take on what insta love is sometimes. :)

    Either way, sudden stoppage is so not my thing. Thanks for the waring.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I completely agree with you. I loved the setting, but that ending! OMG I hate that it's sort of a cliffhanger but sort of isn't. WHAT HAPPENS WITH HER AND KAI???

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Missie... I really would like to know what they saw that I may have missed. Sometimes knowing that gives another perspective I didn't consider.

    @Bailey... I know! It killed me! We must have the next one like now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I must admit the idea of a cyborg Cinderella didn't grab me when I first heard about it. But the idea is really growing on me and I love the setting. But your disatisfaction with the ending is pushing me away from Cinder. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Stephanie... oh you might wait until the second book is out if those type of endings bother you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been waiting to read Cinder since so many have read and reviewed it. Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I genuinely liked this one. Was totally sucked in. It was the differentness that gripped me. And Cinder herself. The prince was my one disappointment with this book. I'm hoping we get more out of his character and the romance stands out more in the next book. Looking forward to whatever Marissa brings out next!

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do like the sounds of this one too. ANd I'm very okay with the predictable part, as you mentioned a retell. :D Thanks for the review and the warning of the ending. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!