Friday, August 26, 2011

Luck of the Devil by Patricia Eimer

Luck of the Devil (Speak of the Devil)Description:
Being the youngest daughter of the Devil isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. The days of teenage rebellion and vows of chastity made just to tick off her father are over, and now all Faith Bettincourt wants is a nice, quiet life. Unfortunately, thanks to the unexpected arrival of her demonically-downsized sister, a ditzy succubus roommate, and dear old Dad himself, Faith’s plans for a relaxing vacation spent watching reruns go up in flames.

Now it’s all Faith can do to keep the family reunion from Hell (literally) under wraps, and the angelically-inclined hottie across the hall from realizing there’s something weird about his neighbor. And, thankfully, it’s working. Until an angelic stalker shows up in a bid to steal her powers and take over the world.

Forget watching reruns. With the way things are going, Faith will need the luck of the Devil just to survive until Monday.
Looking for a paranormal that makes you laugh? You have found it! I really enjoyed Faith and her family. I don't always connect to the characters so easily in a comedy/parody like this, but I didn't have this problem here. The whole family dynamic you are introduced to was more like a dysfunctional family ratcheted it up to new heights because of the paranormal aspects. Makes it perfect comedic fodder.

So is it just the dad the Devil and his minions.. uh family... we deal with? Oh no, you also have cousin Jesus and Faith's uncle Alpha (God). They play a critical role in the end with humorous results as well. I also enjoyed the secondary characters of Faith's siblings, a rogue Angele, her demon bodyguard and a ghost. Oh and for those that might worry, I didn't see anything blasphemous, but more of a "What if God was one of us..." type of vibe to the whole thing.

I give this book 4 stars. I really enjoyed the humor and the over the top family of this book. I can't wait to see what other shenanigans Faith gets into in the next installment. :) Oh and I'd add it to the "snort club" ala Felicia the Geeky Blogger but I just get creeped out by her lady that heads it (I dare you to go to her blog and search for snort club and not shiver! lol). The devil, no probs... that lady... *shiver* ;)

Some quotes to get you going:
Women flocked to Churresco's Coffee and Sweets for the first time to ogle the former Penguins player who worked the counter, but anyone with a lick of sense~ or good sense about what they licked~ kept coming back for his mom's pastries. They were so good, people sold their souls for them. No, really~ a local incubus had used them to lure women into his unholy embrace. Talk about a marketing ploy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My life was becoming its own reality television show. Real World: The Paranormal Season. All we needed was a fairy, two werewolves, and a vampire with sexual-identity issues. It’d be a guaranteed a hit.
I had more, but it really only made more sense and had a lot more humor once you knew what was going on. ;) Yes, I'm *evil laughing* at you all for being curious now. ;)
I was given this book by the publisher and no compensation for my review was given.

If you are now more curious about this book, don't forget there is a blog post by the author and a giveaway going on now for this book. If you are a fan of humorous paranormal books, check this one out!

12 comments:

  1. Lol, sounds totally weird but then weird is just awesome.
    Though I have seen the chastity thing before, a daughter of the devil in another book

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quotes are really funny - of course I entered the giveaway :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am reading this one and then the snort club lady will rear her ugly (but funny) head!

    Actually this sounds beyond cute! I can't even imagine having that kind of family reunion from hell LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the review! HA! Love the quote Real World. LOL Funny! I need to get my hands on this book. I have a feeling this book will make me laugh lots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a book with a lot of humor, it's a nice break from some of the darker paranormal reads:) Love that the family aspect is so prominent too, family dynamics are usually very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that kind of humor! Can't wait to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it odd that I feel like singing that song now..."What if God was one of us..." *sings*

    This sounds really good. Is there insta-love? I've been having issues with that as of late. I want some relationship development. I love the cover and everything sounds so funny! I think I'll give it a try anyway! YEAH! (think she'll let me borrow that red dress?)

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Blodeuedd... I agree weird is awesome. I'll have to look it up, but Chastity as the devil's daughter sounds familiar...

    @anachronist... good luck!

    @Felicia... you so scary! *shivers!* ;) I think you would really enjoy it!

    @Savannah... It made me snort (just don't tell Felicia)

    @Jenny... Oh I agree... I just love to sit with a humor book! Family SHOULD be funny. ;D

    @Alyssa... I think you would really love it!

    @Jen... *clears throat* Ready? ♫♩;) Btw, you'll be happy to know that there is no insta-love here. Insta-like and insta-smex, but not total "you are the only one for me, lets get married right now after the first meeting" type. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that is why I usually avoide comedic reads, because of lack of connection to the characters. Glad to know that is not the case with this one.

    So a vamp with sexual-identity issues. I think I knew a few of those. LOL Yeah, if that was a real show, I'd definitely be hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This DOES sound fun... it a kinda strange way!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judging by the quotes and the author's interview, it sounds like lots of laughing's involved in this book - which would be a nice change from what I've been reading lately.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!