Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Lost by Caridad Piñeiro

The Lost (Sin Hunters)Description:
Adam Bruno is no ordinary millionaire. The heir to an ancient race possessing a dark, powerful magic, he can shapeshift and create energy. His gifts make him a living weapon and have forced him to live in seclusion. But now an inhuman force hunts down Adam-just when he finds someone who makes him feel more human than he ever imagined possible . . . 
Home from combat in Iraq, Bobbie Carerra wants only peace, yet soon joins Adam in a terrifying battle against paranormal enemies who hide in plain sight. She's drawn to his strength of mind and body; he's attracted to her courage and intoxicating energy. Their scorching passion can either transport them to the heights of ecstasy or-if Adam's powers rage out of control-destroy them. But when an invisible brotherhood tightens its nets and someone Adam trusts betrays him, only a heartrending decision can save them.
This is the first book in a new series by Caridad Piñeiro called the Sin Hunters. It starts with Adam who has no real memory of what happened to him. He was about 4 when he was found and adopted by Salvatore Bruno. He finds he has strange powers that no one around him have so he has been trained to hide them.

The story skips to Adam in his 20's still trying to figure out who he is and what his powers hold. Now, he is a self-made millionaire who still feels very lonely and contained. He spies Bobbie Carerra waiting for her brother after her physical therapy session (she was injured in Iraq) and their auras capture each others attention. They are attracted to one another immediately. However, Adam is attacked in the parking lot and Bobbie comes to his defense. Strange things happen, but Bobbie doesn't back down and Adam just got a taste of others with his kind of power. Questions from this incident bring the two back together.

The mystery of Adam also includes a lot of missed connections and misdirection that almost overwhelmed the story. I was relieved when that didn't happen. I really enjoyed the character of Bobbie. She is scarred heavily and was not that vision of perfection that we often encounter in PNR books. I also loved that she did not back down in a fight and was willing to sacrifice her happiness when it was the right thing to do. I did not connect to Adam as well, but I still really liked him until.... (yea, like I would reveal anything too telling... *evil laugh*) Let me just say he did come around and I enjoyed his character again.

I give this book 4 stars. I think it is a good first book for this series and I really do want to see what happens next.
I was given this book from the author and no compensation for my review was given.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to review the book. I really appreciate it and am glad that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of Bobbie. I am fan of a character who is a fighter and always tries to do what is right. Thanks for the awesome review Evil Laugh Queen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sounds like a great character. A realistic one! ooh, what did he do? It must be really bad for you not to like him anymore. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh sounds good :D I am been interested in her new series since I read the old one

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sounds of a millionaire hunter hunting dark magic. I like it when characters lose the memory. When memories appear things start to get good. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooohhh I haven't heard much about this book, but I love a good paranormal romance! And now you've of course got me curious as to what he does that made you temporarily not like him. You a cruel woman Melissa ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I was a self made millionaire... Just sayin. ;) This sounds awesome dude! Adding it to my *Need this right now* list! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Caridad... Oh thanks so much for coming by! I would love to read the next one... *hint* ;) lol

    @Nic... I really did love Bobbie. I also loved the fact she was damaged. So, what does my crown look like? lol

    @Nina..Hee hee... I'm not telling. ;D

    @Blodeuedd... I think you'll like it!

    @Savannah... True... the mystery really did pick up with the revived memory!

    @Jenny... I live to please. bwa ha ha! ;)

    @Ashley... Me too. lol Yes, you needs it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sin Hunters? Where do I sign up?!

    That trailer has me entranced. And I don't think I'd have any problems connecting with an millionaire.

    *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I was a bit disappointed with the one book of Piñeiro's that I read I have to say that her books do have great covers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well...maybe, maybe not. I am in two minds about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the first book in a new series

    First book? :O! Melissa, you didn't! ;)


    I am really liking the sounds of Bobbie, I always like when the female character can hold her own!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am now enormously interested, mostly because the love interest has physical imperfections - not the usual dewy skinned, otherworldly beauties typical in romances.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm, this sounds like a great new read. And a wonderful start to a series here. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!