Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Touch of Frost and First Frost by Jennifer Estep

Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy)Description:
My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest. 
But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .
If you have been around the blog for a while now, you know I am a total fan geek of The Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep. So, when she announced she was going to come out with a YA series that deals with mythology, I totally squeed. Oh yes I did. Now that I have devoured this book, I can say I was right to squee. I really enjoyed this introduction to this series.

Gwen has always had psychometry and has made good use of it in a completely teenage way. She makes money off her friends finding lost items. One day, she is using the brush of a friend and find out what horrors lurked in her house because of a pedophile. Gwen's strong reaction lands her in the hospital and the pedophile in jail thanks to Gwen's mother who is a cop. This is the beginning of Gwen's foray into the realm of Mythos Academy. It was time for her to learn more about her gift and how to control it.

The academy is attended by the decedents of various groups both mythical and real but all with mythic histories. Amazons, Spartans, and Valkyries are a few of the groups that attend the academy. Gwen is the only Gypsy. They deal with typical teenage problems but their classes are quite a bit different. Gwen is having a hard time adjusting and believing in all this "mumbo jumbo".

The world created here is very interesting. I love mythology and I love the twist given in this book. I also really enjoyed Gwen's character. The mystery was easy for me to solve, but I also understand why it took Gwen much longer to see it all come together. Her journey was much more emotional than ours and so it made sense to me.

If none of what I have said has convinced you to pick up this book since I have left so much out so I do not spoil anything, may I say you must read this for no other reason than to meet Logan and Vic. Oh I LOVED Vic but will not say who he is at all. You'll just have to meet him with Gwen. He made me laugh so much! There are also a couple of homages to her other series books like Karma Girl and the Pork Pit. Loved that as well. :)

I give this fun YA book 4 1/2 stars. I really enjoyed this read and I cannot wait for the next book Kiss of Frost due in Dec, 2011
I received this book from the author and no compensation was given for my review.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First Frost
Description:
I am Gwen Frost, and I have a Gypsy gift. It's called psychometry - that's a fancy way of saying that I see images in my head and get flashes of other people's memories off almost everything I touch, even guys.

My gift makes me kind of nosy. Okay, okay, maybe a lot nosy--to the point of obsession sometimes. I want to know everything about everyone around me. But even I don't want to know the secrets my friend Paige is hiding or the terrible loss that will send me to a new school - Mythos Academy, where the teachers aren't preparing us for the SATs, but to battle Reapers of Chaos. Now I have no friends and no idea how my gift fits in with all these warrior whiz kids. The only thing I do know is that my life is never, ever going to be the same. . .
Okay, this is actually the prequel to the above book but you know me, I don't do anything in order if I can help it. ;) Actually I just finished that book and wanted a bit more detail. This is what this book gives you... more detail as to what Gwen references in the first book as to what leads her to Mythos Academy. It is a short, teaser book so it isn't as satisfying as the first book, but it was not meant to be that way. I would get this book (only .99 at amazon and b&n) and have it when you get Touch of Frost. That way when you end this appetiser book you can dive right into the main course. Ah... satisfying!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh and don't forget to come back on Aug. 3 for an interview and giveaway with Jennifer Estep! Mark your calendars! ;)

20 comments:

  1. I am hearing so many good things about this book! I love the sound of the mythology. This is definitely a book I need and I want to know what Vic is! At least you didn't evil laugh this time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, I really need to get a copy of this book. Well those two books! ;) Spartans? Really, how cool is that. Another great YA book with mythology in it. ;) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I didn't know about the prequel. I have Touch of Frost so I'll have to get the prequel first. I've read nothing but good things about this book and author.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome reviews! I've been hearing some great things about Jennifer Estep's books. I need to read them soon! I love books involving mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is everywhere lately and everyone also seems to be enjoying this new series :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do believe this is one YA I am going to have to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely convinced. The series sounds pretty awesome. I also need to read the Elemental Assassins series, which I own. They constantly stare at me, puppy-eyed and all...*sigh* TOO. MANY. BOOKS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love some mythology based stories. This book is one I'm definitely going to get my hands on soon! I haven't even read the Elemental Assassins series either - but Spiders Bite is glaring at my from the shelf...

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY!!! So glad you loved this one as much as I did Melissa! And a special YAY for Vic, he was cracking me up and I hope we get lots more with him in book 2. And Logan. And really everything because I'm kind of a huge fan of this book:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude, totallly got this book in the mail yesterday and super excited! AHHHHHH!! Loved your review. Heard many good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Nic... I knew I forgot something!!!

    @Nina... Yes you do! ;)

    @Buried...Glad you have the book. The prequel will make you want it right away. :)

    @Misha... Oh so do I! I think mythology is my weakness. :)

    @Blodeuedd... I did! :)

    @Felicia... Yep, needs! Needs!! ;)

    @Smash... Oh I loved the EA books. They get better as they go for me. OWEN!!!

    @Mel... You better read it before Gin gets angry... she's already glaring at you. ;)

    @Jenny... I hope we find out more about Logan. Vic... FTW!

    @Savannah... YES! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha! Mel, you crack me up. Yes, why do anything in order.

    I think mythology is hard to pull off convincingly, but it sounds like this author really gets it right. Can't wait to check out this series.

    P.S. That little animation on your side bar is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of a school attended by descendants of Greek mythological creatures. Although gypsies as a mythological creature is new to me – I’d love to learn more about that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely heart the Elemental Assassin series. I'm rather curious though how she's put this one together. I'm actually really excited to get my hands on it. Gwen sounds pretty cool and I'm always in love with detail, so bring it on! :D I need to go buy this one!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to read this! I have read lots of good things about it and I can't wait to get my hands on it! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aaaaaa, I want these!! I've wanted them since I first heard of them. And I still need to get into her UF series. Darn! Where does the time go? thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Melissa imagine my surprise when today they announced First Frost was free for Kindle after of course I bought and read my copy of the prequel... Imagine even more my joy that my won and signed by author (I hope) copy of Touch of Frost is in the mail to me and have already pre-ordered Kiss of Frost... Jennifer Estep has started a wonderful new storyline which I am very eager, more so now thank you very much, to immerse myself in!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I keep hearing so many good things about this series. It really makes me want to try it! Great thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooooooh sign me up! This book sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't read any of Estep's books and I've kind of had my fill of books about magical boarding schools but your review of this book has managed to get me interested. I'll have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!