Monday, July 25, 2011

My Favorite Band Does Not Exist by Robert T. Jeschonek

My Favorite Band Does Not ExistDescription:
Sixteen-year-old genius Idea Deity believes that he exists only in the pages of a novel written by a malevolent, omnipotent author . . . and that he will die in chapter 64. Meanwhile, an older teen named Reacher Mirage sings lead vocals for the undercover rock band Youforia . . . a band that exists in Idea’s world only as an Internet hoax that Idea himself perpetuated. Then there’s beautiful and mysterious Eunice Truant, who links their destinies. When Idea and Reacher plunge into the reality of Fireskull’s Revenant,the twisted epic fantasy novel they’ve both been reading, chapter 64 bears down on them like a speeding freight train on an unstoppable collision course. Being trapped in a bad book can be a nightmare. Just ask Idea Deity.
I picked up this book mainly because of the title. I was looking forward to something in YA about music. This wasn't exactly the case. :) In this book you are dealing with several realities and at least 3 simultaneous adventures that coincide. You move from 2 main POV of Idea Deity and Reacher Mirage. In fact they almost seem like 2 sides of the same coin. Each able to suddenly "know" about the other even though they don't believe that the other exists out side of his imagination. The pivotal character around these 2 are Eunice and Eurydice who are the yin/yang girlfriend/guide for the two guys and really are 2 sides of the same coin.

This book is sort of a Alice in Wonderland type of contemporary book in which a novel that weaves itself within the story is the looking glass and is actually the only thing that exists in both worlds in exactly the same way. They are lead to further growth by dealing with fear so they can move on to better greatness. However, the resemblance stops there and the story itself just isn't cohesive enough for me to  have really gotten a grasp of what was going on. For example, the book was the stabilizing factor within the story, but I couldn't get or understand that story so therefore there was no place for your brain to straighten out what was going on. The epilogue I hoped would perhaps give me more clues to what I had read, but honestly confused me more. What the main character was doing with his life didn't make sense nor was it clear. I think in this case the epilogue should have not been added.

I will say that I really admire this authors imagination. In this world he invented could be limitless. The theme of letting go of fear was also something that I think is brilly in a YA novel as well. I unfortunately just couldn't get into this particular execution of the story. I still would look out for other things the author had written just to see what his imagination could come up with next.
I received this eARC by netgalley and the publisher and no compensation was given.

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like a complex book - not that I mind usually as parallel worlds are a favourite of mind, but it does need to make sense at some point! Not sure I'll be picking this one up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy a good complex plot but this definitely does sound confusing. Way too confusing. Great honest review Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate stories which are not cohesive. Seems like another case of bad editing. Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Alice in Wonderland, but this sounds a little too confusing for me.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think books like that are either hit or miss. When they hit their mark they're fabulous..but when they don't they're just plain confusing...lol Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, this book is so not for me. I know we must not judge a book by it's cover, but I do and it's awful. lol. ;) I think if I would read this one, I would be confused. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice review Melissa! I seen this book but it didn't really appeal to me. I love the idea of it being Alice in Wonderland type.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Umm... Maybe it's too early in the morning for me, but I can't get what is going on. LOL

    I wonder what these 2 sides of the same coin people are smoking!

    Sorry you couldn't get into it, but it does sound like trippy, which I imagine could be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this one sounds like it would tie me in so many knots I'd never be able to unravel myself and get things sorted out so I could enjoy the story. I'm easily confused while reading, so I think this book and I wouldn't get along very well. Definitely sounds very imaginative though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to read this book for the title as well, but a friend of mine read it first and felt the same as you, so I decided not to. I don't know, I'm confused already about how the book works and what it is about. I wish it would have worked better, it's such a good thought for a book.

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not sure I would like to read it, but I like the weirdness of it. it is often the weird books that really makes me fall

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Mel... I also like complex and parallel worlds, but yes, it does need a true anchor. :/

    @Nic... It was. I mean there was great imagination going...

    @anachronist... no, it wasn't the editing.

    @Misha... I do too! The Cheshire Cat! FTW! :D

    @animewookie... So true... so true! :)

    @Nina... I do too. *blushes* I also do it with the title too... ;)

    @Savannah... I also liked the idea as well. :)

    @Missie... It's always too early for me. ;D

    @Jenny... It does tie in finally, but not all the ends. The frayed ends just stayed frayed. :/ I did love the imagination!

    @Jen... I heard about it long after I requested it and thought "oh no", but I sometimes enjoy what others don't especially when it is confusing. However, I had to agree this time. I agree... such a good plot. :)

    @Blodeuedd... I'm weird, so I thought it would work. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The author sounds like he has brilliant ideas but perhaps the execution doesn't live up to his vision?

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm always taken with Alice related stories. hmmm, i'm on the fence with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a really intriguing, albeit complicated read. I think I'll have to try it sometime! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know that this book is for me but I congratulate the author on his creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like good writing, but I think I would get confused with it. Thanks for the review. I like the feel of Alice in wonderland to it too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!