Monday, July 18, 2011

The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire #1) by Clay and Susan Griffith

The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1)Description:
Vampire predators run wild in this exciting steampunk adventure, the first in an alternate history trilogy that is already attracting attention. In 1870, monsters rise up and conquer the northern lands, As great cities are swallowed up by carnage and disease, landowners and other elite flee south to escape their blood-thirsty wrath. One hundred fifty years later, the great divide still exists; fangs on one side of the border, worried defenders on the other. This fragile equilibrium is threatened, then crumbles after a single young princess becomes almost hopelessly lost in the hostile territory. At first, she has only one defender: a mysterious Greyfriar who roams freely in dangerous vampire regions. 
Steampunk and vampires! The paranormal and the paramechanical rolled up into one fun story! The vampires in this story are not the secretly sweet and sympathetic kind we often see in stories. These vamps are vicious and have a vision of the world unlike humans. The humans, on the other hand, share history with us but their "present" is more like a dystopian and steampunk world since the vampires showed their presence.

Adele is a strong minded princess sent on a voyage northward to gather support for the coming war with the vampire nation. The vampires live in the north surviving in the cold, but are weakened in the warmth.  Vampires having sought Adele as their target, attack the airship she was on and try to capture her. The Greyfriar comes to her rescue, but it does not last long. The most fearsome vampire prince captures her to hasten the war. As to what happens I will not say... *evil laugh* (those waiting for that can now relax... lol).

I should also mention something about Prince Gareth. To me he is such a fascinating character. He is a true vampire prince but there is something more to his character. Not completely one way or another before meeting Adele. When we first meet him he is neither the hero nor the villain but I was captivated by him and wanted to know more immediately. Luckily in the book we get that chance.

We are also introduced to several other minor characters who really make this book fulfilling. There is also a budding romance in which we are at first hesitant but can later fully comprehend why the two come together. Ah, so many things I'd like to say but will not. I just cannot bring myself to spoil the fun story for anyone.

So, if  you want some vampiness in a steampunk setting, then this is your book. I give this book 4 stars and I recommend it to fans of UF as well. The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire #2) is set to be published in Sept, 2011. Yes... I know... I just wasn't ready to give up steampunk yet. ;)

Other reviews:
Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell
Supernatural Snark
Books with Bite

17 comments:

  1. Steampunk and vampires are a great combination. I have heard a lot of great things about this book. Usually I avoid vampire books, but I want to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this book but was disappointed that the Greyfriar mystery wasn't drawn out more. The story could have really benefited from the suspense. I also would have really like to have gotten into Gareth's head a bit more. He seemed kind of distant. But I look forward to seeing how the series progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard only good things about this book! And I am fan of books that not only have strong main characters but secondary one's as well.

    Plus vampire and steampunk = double awesomesauce.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this one very much. Here is my review if anybody is interested but yes, the first part was very good. I especially liked the autors' take on vampires.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that cover must win the prize for the most scary book cover you have ever featured.

    As I'm finding myself reading a lot of vampire stuff at the moment I think I'll add this to my list, thanks for your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very much allowed to continue on your steampunk ways :) I am making a list so that next time I try steampunk I can make an education by Melissa decision!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely adored this book, so glad you liked it too Melissa! I thought Gareth was amazingly well done, I could have just died when he was trying to write things and he misspelled her name. So cute. Can't wait for book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait for book 2 cos the ending...the ending!!!!!!!!! I omg

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had this one on my shelf for AGES!!! I need to actually read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm liking the sound of this one. Great review Oh and I adore the cover!! aaaaand the "evil laugh:...lol:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super excited to read this next book! I simply adore the first one and can't wait for the next. Nice review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this one sitting on my Kindle and I can't wait to get to it. It sounds like a really good read. Nice review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vampires and Steampunk - an awesome combination!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LMAO! You expect us to relax after you evil laugh in our face?

    Okay, so I haven't read this book yet, and I know you said the vampires are all evil, but I'm already in love with Prince Gareth.

    I know. I'm sick!

    Glad you are still keeping up Steampunk week. It's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. haven't tried this one yet. but i like the combo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vampires + steampunk are like chocolate and whip cream put together, IMO. Good and gooder!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooo, I just got this one in the mail today! :) I won it and love the sounds of it. I've been wanting it since before it came out. :) He he. Thanks for the amazing review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!