Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Born Under a Lucky Moon by Diana Precious

Born Under a Lucky Moon: A NovelDescription:
Born Under a Lucky Moon is the tale of two very important (but distant) years in the lives of Jeannie Thompson and her (embarrassing, crazy) colorful family members to whom "things" just seem to happen. From the Great Lakes of Michigan to Los Angeles and back again, it is a story of surprise marriages, a renegade granny, a sprinkler system cursed by the gods, and myriad other factors Jeannie blames for her full-tilt, out-of-control existence. But it's also about good surprises—like an unexpected proposal that might just open Jeannie's eyes to her real place among the people she loves most in the world . . . the same ones she ran far away from to begin with.
 The story is about a woman who believes she has an unusual family, so much so that no one will be able to accept it. She is proposed by her boyfriend whom she loves but is scared. She hasn't had the best luck with others accepting her family and so uses it as an excuse to put him off. She begins to tell him the tale of her crazy family to show him why she had good reason to say "maybe".

As the story unfolds you find out how eccentric her family is within the small community in which she grew up. However, I didn't see what was so awful about the family and agreed with Aidan, her intended, that they were more entertaining than horrible. I kept thinking that this girl needed to get out of her own head and really look around at what a horrid family could entail. Might put some perspective on the situation. She also needed to trust Aidan to handle her family. Things she never thought could be possible in life. She still wore her small town blinders and her work which perpetuated blinders didn't help much either. I won't tell you how things worked or didn't work out, so you will have to read the book to find out for yourself. *evil laugh*

I give this book 3 1/2 stars. If you are looking for a cute, funny book for the summer you will enjoy this book. Even though there were times I wanted to shake sense into Jeannie, you laugh and root for her and really hope for her HEA in the end.

I was given this book for review and no compensation was given.

14 comments:

  1. Not sure if this book is for me. This character sounds a bit weird. And I think everyone thinks that their family is crazy, I mean mine is! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems a nice book but rather not my cuppa. Thanks for your review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great feel good read! Not my usual type of thing but every now and then I like to up curl up with this type of read. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good enough I guess, but perhaps not something I would go out and buy.

    Steampunk week over :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can definitely see myself wanting to shake Jeannie at times for being so seemingly unaccepting of her family, but then you said despite that you still want to root for her so that's reassuring:) Nice review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I'm with Nina on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good. I like characters with flaws, but characters with no trust. Eh, makes it hard to for me. Plus I probably get mad. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Nina... mine's not crazy! No, they are INsane! :)

    @anacrhonist... no don't think you'd like this one.

    @Nic... yes, I know. Sometimes you just need something like this!

    @Blodeuedd... ((HUGS)) Sorry... I'll think about doing it again, okay? :)

    @Jenny... yea, it's like she thought her family was so bad instead of laughing WITH (heh) them. :)

    @...Petty... You have a sweet family!

    @Savannah... I like flawed characters too! You will, but the ending does make up for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure, every family has that embarrassing outcast, in this case I think it might be Jeannie. LOL

    I don't know about this one. I'm sure I might ending feeling annoyed with the protag if I come to find that her family is just a corky bunch that loves her. Really, there is nothing wrong with that, as you said.

    Maybe I need to convince Aidan to come with me instead. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeannie sounds like she has some growing up to do; her attitude reminds of when I was a teen and thought my family was just embarrassment central.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coming from a small town with a big family---I can tell you we never think anyone is going to accept our families. They are often out spoken, un PC (to the nth degree), and well we will leave it at that :)

    This does sound like a cute book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. THis sounds like a great fun little read for the beach or so. :) Thanks for the review. As I'm not telling you about my corky family... ;D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm... Cute, summer read? On it. But will I just want to shake her... or like bash her? It makes a difference! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think this one is for me, but I loved your review for it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!