Friday, October 29, 2010

Who Says Pumpkin Carving isn't Art?



Can you believe this was a simple pumpkin? Ray Villafane doesn't take long to create these intricate carvings out of pumpkins. He first finds one with enough weight and then sets to carve them with a spoon and scalpel. I can't believe it. I get tired just scraping the guts out of a pumpkin. Plus, just think of this... it is transient sculpture. It won't last for more than a few days before it rots. How sad. In the meantime, however, we can enjoy the show. The article where I found his work is HERE. There are a few more pictures of his work than what I've posted if you are curious. Too cool, don't ya think?

9 comments:

  1. Wow! The detailing on that first one is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fantastic - I have pumpkin envy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched him in action on Food Network Challenge Pumpkins last night, and he was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts parallel yours but I can admire someone elses handy work and BOY this person is TALENTED!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched some of these get made on the Food Network! It was so cool. That carver Ray is amazing! He made some of the snakes move!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Those are some great pumpkin carving. I would never be able to do anything like these. This person has to just love carving altogether. :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!