Friday, October 15, 2010

Girl, Stolen by April Henry

Girl, Stolen (Christy Ottaviano Books)From Goodreads:
Sixteen year-old Cheyenne Wilder is sleeping in the back of a car while her mom fills her prescription at the pharmacy. Before Cheyenne realizes what's happening, their car is being stolen--with her inside! Griffin hadn’t meant to kidnap Cheyenne, all he needed to do was steal a car for the others. But once Griffin's dad finds out that Cheyenne’s father is the president of a powerful corporation, everything changes—now there’s a reason to keep her. What Griffin doesn’t know is that Cheyenne is not only sick with pneumonia, she is blind. How will Cheyenne survive this nightmare, and if she does, at what price? 
It's about a young blind and sick girl who accidentally gets kidnapped by another young teen. After they find out that her father is rich and powerful, they decide to keep her. Knowing that she is in trouble, Cheyenne relies on her inner resources to gain sympathy and stay alive. She befriends Griffin who kidnapped her and opens up a world that he didn't know existed. As it comes down to the exchange, Cheyenne realizes that just handing her over is not what is going to happen. She can't rely on Griffin so who can she rely on?

This is a short but enjoyable YA book. The author writes in the way I remembered YA books used to be written (before we had the moniker, YA). So, I would probably go as far to say that the MG crowd would enjoy this book as well. Cheyenne is a capable and strong character and one I think is great for the YA crowd. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a strong heroine. I give this book 4 stars.

I was given this book through the Goodreads First Reads program and MacMillan. No compensation for my review was given.

6 comments:

  1. I think I know what you mean, like the YA books I read, and now when I read YA they are nothing like that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping by to return the visit! I may give this one a try--always on the lookout for strong heroines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not my usual genre but you make it sound like this is a good read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to read this book simply because one of the characters' names is Griffin - which I love! Not your usual YA fare and having a strong heroine, especially one with physical ailments, makes it even more intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this sounds like a suspencful read. Interesting. Another great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished this book, myself! You know, I didn't even think to compare YA books today with the books I read when I was that age. I think this is written very much like the YA books when we were younger, which is probably why I didn't like it as much. :) I have become spoiled as an adult by the precocious YA books of today.

    My review of Girl, Stolen is here: http://bookblag.wordpress.com/2010/10/24/review-girl-stolen/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!