Monday, September 21, 2015

Slightly Early Review: The Aeronauts Windlass by Jim Butcher


Series: The Cinder Spires #1
640 p.
Published: 9/29/15
Publisher: Roc
Source: NetGalley and publisher for review
Since time immemorial, the Spires have sheltered humanity, towering for miles over the mist-shrouded surface of the world. Within their halls, aristocratic houses have ruled for generations, developing scientific marvels, fostering trade alliances, and building fleets of airships to keep the peace. 
Captain Grimm commands the merchant ship, Predator. Fiercely loyal to Spire Albion, he has taken their side in the cold war with Spire Aurora, disrupting the enemy’s shipping lines by attacking their cargo vessels. But when the Predator is severely damaged in combat, leaving captain and crew grounded, Grimm is offered a proposition from the Spirearch of Albion—to join a team of agents on a vital mission in exchange for fully restoring Predator to its fighting glory. 
And even as Grimm undertakes this dangerous task, he will learn that the conflict between the Spires is merely a premonition of things to come. Humanity’s ancient enemy, silent for more than ten thousand years, has begun to stir once more. And death will follow in its wake…
My thoughts:

I actually haven't read a Jim Butcher book before but he was on my must try author list. I'm glad I gave this one a shot. I was in the mood for fantasy and this one really delivered. It is labeled steampunk but very little steam makes the objects work. Crystalpunk? Well, in any case, the world did feel like a steampunk kind of world.

What really enthralled me with this book was the characters. The females are capable or either learning to be capable. The girl who wins the swoony guy isn't the prettiest but has the best heart. The pretty girl is more than her looks. She has sass and mechanical skills. There were even oddball characters that you really got to know and enjoy. The guys who are leaders aren't just the ones giving orders, they know how to listen to others as well. This was played out smart and so the twists felt smart. My favorite character was Rowl. Rowl was a cat. Yes, a cat. He had his own personality and language to go in this fantasy world. He was also the most arrogant character of them all. I guess it is a good thing Rowl is also cute and fuzzy. LOL

My biggest complaint would be the action scenes. I felt that a few could have been more efficient in the telling and didn't need quite as much detail at times.  There was also a part where the captain was explaining in great detail what his plans or non-plans were and it was a bit much but it only really lasted a short while so it wasn't a huge detriment in the whole story. I just couldn't buy that he had to waste that much time explaining rather than engaging.

I give this book 4 stars. I really enjoyed my time here and had a lot of fun with the different aspects to this world. My favorite parts were the unexpected like Rowl and the etherialists. Very odd characters but rounded out the rest of the crew nicely. I am curious to see where we go next in this series.

33 comments:

  1. I haven't read any Butcher but want too. I seriously contemplated getting this one, but was afraid it wouldn't be that good and ruin my first Butcher experience. lol. Now I do want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim writes the best characters, but I had no idea there was a cat in this one. And with such a strong personality to boot! My copy is still on its way, I'm afraid. I'm waiting with bated breath. I'm such a huge fan of the man's work, I just know I'm going to love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like a fine read indeed, yet to read this author. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to read anything by Jim Butcher either Melissa, and he's been on my list to try for a while. I'm glad this worked well for you despite some of the over-detailed descriptions of the actions scenes:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would SO love Rowl! I could totally see you loving this book.

      Delete
  5. I'm always on the lookout for a good steampunk and you have me intrigued with the crystal aspect. I think I would like this as well even with the over detailed accounts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't too bad, I just felt it could have been a bit more streamlined.

      Delete
  6. I read the Dresden Files book but this sounds more my speed.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the first book of the Files on my tbr, but I just haven't gotten to it yet.

      Delete
  7. I love his Harry Dresden books so despite my not wanting to begin any more books that form a series will be sure to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard it takes a few books to really get into the series and then you are hooked. I just haven't started them yet.

      Delete
  8. I haven't read any of his books yet but have the Harry Dresden series and want to read them soon. I don't like a lot of description in my action scenes and it often bores me so that's a downer. But this sounds pretty great otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is too bad, just a bit more streamlined. I don't think you'd have a problem with it at all.

      Delete
  9. I have long wanted to try his Harry Dresden series, it has been on my list for years. I will have to add this series as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way with the HD series. You would enjoy this book Heidi. :)

      Delete
  10. I love love his Dresden books, so much fun :D excited about this one

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only read the first few Dresden books, but haven't ventured off to his other series. Glad you liked it for the most part. The action scenes can be a bit much. If you are ever looking for a good audiobook, do pick up his Dresden series which is read by James Marsters aka Spike from Buffy. He is an awesome narrator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I've been wanting to do that series on audio. I think you'd enjoy this one Rummanah!

      Delete
  12. I've never heard of the author! This sounds like some my sister might like. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am heartbroken I got denied for this. Makes me sadder now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL I want to discover Rowl! I thought it was part of his other series and as I was disappointed by book 1 I didn't try to ask for it I confess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The different aspects of this sounds great, and glad to hear you enjoyed overall

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Rowl!! This was good, and I am looking forward to the next one Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love his wife's books. I read the first of his other series but haven't read any others. Might have to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've read part of his UF series and I'm not as much in love with it as everyone else is. It might be the hype around it as I'm starting the series, I don't know. But I'd love to try this series out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like there was a great range of characters in this read. I haven't read a Jim Butcher book before, but you have me intrigued!

    Naomi @ Naomi’s Reading Palace

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never read Jim Butcher either, but keep hearing about how good they are. I am not real big on this kind of fantasy, but anyone that writes a cat as a character is my kind of author! I am glad your first experience was a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!