Monday, September 28, 2015

Menagerie by Rachel Vincent

Series: Menagerie #1
432 p.
Published: 9/29/15
Publisher: MIRA
Source: NetGalley and publisher for review
When Delilah Marlow visits a famous traveling carnival, Metzger's Menagerie, she is an ordinary woman in a not-quite-ordinary world. But under the macabre circus black-top, she discovers a fierce, sharp-clawed creature lurking just beneath her human veneer. Captured and put on exhibition, Delilah in her black swan burlesque costume is stripped of her worldly possessions, including her own name, as she's forced to "perform" in town after town.

But there is breathtaking beauty behind the seamy and grotesque reality of the carnival. Gallagher, her handler, is as kind as he is cryptic and strong. The other "attractions"—mermaids, minotaurs, gryphons and kelpies—are strange, yes, but they share a bond forged by the brutal realities of captivity. And as Delilah struggles for her freedom, and for her fellow menagerie, she'll discover a strength and a purpose she never knew existed.

Renowned author Rachel Vincent weaves an intoxicating blend of carnival magic and startling humanity in this intricately woven and powerful tale.
My thoughts:

I did think that this book was a YA book but since the main character is about 25, I would say this is adult. However, a older YA person would easily get into it. It does have a few adult themes to it (for example, rape but nothing graphic). I was actually glad this one was adult and slipped into the world easily.

There was a big event in which many children are slaughtered in their sleep and replaced by "others". The criptid world (fae world) is blamed and stripped of any form of dignity and autonomy. They aren't sentient beings anymore to the human population at large in the US. While we get snippets of what happened, we are no closer to the answers in this book. However, that didn't bother me since this is primarily Delilah's book and how she came to be a part of this underworld and what it means for everyone. I really liked and connected with Delilah and loved how she cared for others who were so unlike her.

I devoured this book. It was just one of those books I wanted at the right time and I had fun with this one. I actually purposefully put it down so I could sleep knowing that if I read on, I would have thoughts swirling in my head and sleep would elude me. While we don't get to know all the criptids in the menagerie, I do think that will be forthcoming in future books. We get to know enough that it fills our world with creative and interesting creatures and what it would be like to get to know them all.

I give this book 4 1/2 stars. While I guessed a lot before it was revealed and the ending was expected, it still made me want to devour this book whole. I had fun with this one and I'm looking forward to the next book. Not all the questions are answered and there is a potential danger lurking in our group's future.

28 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, it must've been good if you had to intentionally set it down because it was so good. lol. I've experienced that before bed too. There's no way I'm passing this book up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just knew I would either have to forgo sleep or stop. LOL Hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhh!!!! So excited to read this one Melissa! I love Rachel Vincent something fierce, so I have little doubt I'm going to devour this one as well. Sleep? Who needs it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been so long since I read a book and just devoured it, so I'm really looking forward to diving into this and experiencing that again. Gorgeous review, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh glad to hear you liked it! I've had my eye on this one.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already love Vincent so this will be a must for me! I had no idea it was more adult than YA either so thanks for the heads up! Not that it matters, I would have read it regardless. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm... I am glad to hear you liked this one I steered away after reading another review that stated there was a lot of animal cruelty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um... yes, but it is central to the theme, and most of the cruelty is at the cryptids (fae). I wouldn't have read it otherwise since I'm very sensitive to such things.

      Delete
  7. oh my goodness this book is like everywhere, I think I need to read this soon, wow o.o great review
    There was a big event in which many children are slaughtered in their sleep and replaced by "others" <-- that's honestly kind of creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a creepy vibe to this one, but you will like figuring out the characters. :)

      Delete
  8. I can't wait to get my hands on it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this sounds good, and I love when you intentionally try to make a book last!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will/have to make time for this. I love all the feedback I've been reading especially how a lot of people are saying that it's dark. I love dark reads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought it was a YA book as well so it's nice to know. I heard great things about it so I"m glad to see you had a great time with it. I want to try it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I enjoyed this one too! There were some adult themes but it was still a great read. I liked knowing there were a lot of threads still open and cannot wait for more!

    Naomi @ Naomi’s Reading Palace

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, that concept is messed up! lol. Now I have to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Undecided whether or not I like the cover. I am otherwise intrigued by your review of this one. Definitely one I'd like to give a go myself, thanks for such a well rounded review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no idea what the intended age was, but I'm excited that this one is pretty mature. Sounds creepy and disturbing all in one! I WANT THIS ONE NOW MELISSA. I've been meaning to read a blood-thirsty Fae book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this is nice. I really like the sounds of it. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard that this is really dark. I'm so excited for it, because I love dark. I'm going to listen to the audio. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How had I not heard of this before?! It sounds AMAZING! And it somehow totally slipped past my radar since this is the first I've heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the second great review I have read for this book in the last 20 minutes. I am glad it was a great read for you! I have never read this author but someday want to-although I may try one of her series that's not as dark as this one.Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!