Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon

Standalone
320 p.
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Published: 9/1/15
Source: NetGalley and publisher for review
My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla. 
But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly. 
Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.
My thoughts:
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book. On the good side I loved the main character. I also loved that she is mixed race. I also loved the format in which the story is told. We get a lot of Maddy's drawings and doodlings which really brings her inner life to the forefront. This is unusually told and I really loved that about this book.

However, the unusual parts stop there.

I figured out what was going on really early on. First, confusing "allergic to the world" with extreme immunodeficiency was the key. To put it plainly, one process is the lack of a properly working immune system (or underreaction) and the other is an overreaction of the immune system. This was my first red flag and at this point I was more worried that it wasn't well researched. I also understand that not everyone would catch this, but for Maddy who has a rare disorder or disease I'm sure she would know all the ins and outs of her disorder. Maddy didn't seem to know much about it and she was smart and precocious. Too many blanks and mysteries when it came to her disease. My guess is that she would have learned everything about it to solve that puzzle. Why didn't she know of alternative treatments even if her mother disapproved? There were other red flags but that was the first and the most blatant. So, therefore, I knew what I was getting and that part seemed to follow the formula (I'm trying not to spoil so I say "formula" here). I wasn't surprised with the rest of the book. I should also mentioned that because of the formula, the research I worried about need not apply.

I did love the ending but I did wish for something more. I was hoping this one would be different. While the execution was different and inspired, the content followed expectations. I would read another book by this author however and I do recommend this book. I do love her imagination. I give this book 3 stars.

29 comments:

  1. I already read mixed review about this novel, I can't say I would read it because of one major reason : she's 17 and smart so I don't believe she wouldn't have researched her disease. People who have such issues usually know everything about what's vital to them ? I'm glad you enjoyed it, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also been getting very mixed messages about this one, most reviews seeming to suggest that at best the book is so-so, not bad but not exactly good either. Great to have your thoughts on this, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is told differently and that is a good surprise. I just had issues with content.

      Delete
  3. I definitely would not have caught what you did Melissa, I would have gone right along, blithely ignoring any red flags that might be present:) *pats self on back for being observant* I've seen a lot of mixed reviews for this one, and I have to admit that makes me even more curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you would have questioned why she didn't research her own disease when she researched everything else. ;)

      Delete
  4. I've had this book for months but all the rave reviews kind of scare me.

    I skimmed your review because this is my next read. So I'll guess I'll know soon enough how I'll feel.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll love the format of the telling. I just had specific issues with her disorder and what she did with it.

      Delete
  5. Even if this wasn't the wow read you were hoping for I do love that you are willing to give this author another chance and that you liked how imaginative the read was.
    Wonderful honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many mixed thoughts on this one. I really need to get on this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to book event a couple weeks ago and this was the talk of the festival. People were raving about it. But I haven't really felt that drawn to it. I actually think I'm more curious NOW then I was before because I'm thinking of some different formula directions it could take and I want to know which one it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think you would like the way it was written if nothing else. It is imaginative.

      Delete
  8. This was *the* book everyone talked about at the ALA conference this summer. I've read some glowing reviews for it, but now I'm really curious because of your take on the book. Hoping to pick this one up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know what you think. I do like your critical eye.

      Delete
  9. Allergic to the world would be so scary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been hearing a lot of gushing reviews for this one so it's refreshing to have come across yours. I think I'll be lowering my expectations before I dive into this since it isn't quite as perfect as many readers make it seem. Thanks for such a helpful review, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked this one more than you, but I totally get where you are coming from. I didn't like the abrupt ending, and it was a bit far fetched. Still I loved the format and the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the cover. The bubble girl concept is interesting. I don't think I'll be reading this though.

    That said, sorry this fell short for a bit, but I guess it had its good parts that you still managed to enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read this, but I have a feeling I know what the 'twist' is. It still sounds cute, though. I love when a book incorporates doodles and diary-type stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A shame that this book didn't blow you away. Glad that there were some original aspects, but the rest was kind of predictable. Great review.

    Naomi @ Naomi’s Reading Palace

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry you didn't have the little "more" you expected in the story in the end. I think that I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I kind of felt like the reason she didn't question was her adoration for her mother and until this point she hadn't felt the need to leave or find a way to leave. Glad you enjoyed aspects of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I figured the plot out early on, too, but I still absolutely loved the book. I'm sad you didn't enjoy it as much as I did, but I think I liked it more because of personal reasons. Nonetheless, great review, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know, it doesn't seem like enough to want to actually buy this book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the premise but don't like that the smart girl didn't know more about her diagnosis. Especially in this day and age-that's assuming she has a computer. I think this book isn't for me, but very well thought out good review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!