Monday, November 10, 2014

Waistcoats and Weaponry by Gail Carriger

Series: Finishing School #3
304 p.
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: 11/4/14
Source: NetGalley and Publisher for review
Class is back in session...Sophronia continues her second year at finishing school in style--with a steel-bladed fan secreted in the folds of her ball gown, of course. Such a fashionable choice of weapon comes in handy when Sophronia, her best friend Dimity, sweet sootie Soap, and the charming Lord Felix Mersey stowaway on a train to return their classmate Sidheag to her werewolf pack in Scotland. No one suspected what--or who--they would find aboard that suspiciously empty train. Sophronia uncovers a plot that threatens to throw all of London into chaos and she must decide where her loyalties lie, once and for all.
Gather your poison, steel tipped quill, and the rest of your school supplies and join Mademoiselle Geraldine's proper young killing machines in the third rousing installment in the New York Times bestselling Finishing School Series by steampunk author, Gail Carriger.
My thoughts:
Another great installment to this series. Although the bulk of the mystery happened at the last part of the book, the action was throughout as well as the tongue in cheek world in which Sophronia resides. There is a romantic triangle that has built even more within this series. In this one you might root for one more than the other but you should have no idea who she ends up with in the end. There is this world to consider and not just what the heart wants. Plus, we don't know a lot about both suiters and what might be best for either one in the end as well. I hope we get to know both even more as the series progresses.

In this book I think the characters outshine the mystery and that may not be good for a mystery, but it is good for the series. This is a series where I not only love the main character, but the secondary characters. If you love great secondary characters, you need to read this one. They even have a mechanical dog with a great personality!

I give this latest installment 4 stars. I recommend it to those that love tongue in cheek worldbuilding as well as those that love great characters. YA mystery and steampunk lovers should really pick up this series.

28 comments:

  1. This arrived on my doorstep just today and I was so incredibly happy! I adore Gail's sense of humor and her characters are just so entertaining. The love triangle makes me sad, especially since the couple I ship just isn't likely. You yourself pointed out that there is the world to consider and unfortunately, things just didn't work that way.
    Ah well, it's still an excellent series, even if it will break my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly who you are rooting for and I am as well. I'm hoping she figures out a way to pull it off! :)

      Delete
  2. I was a bit mixed by book 1, but I think I should try more to see how the series evolves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. You know you want to read it... come on! All the cool kids are doing it... ;) LOL

      Delete
  4. I've only read the first book so far but it was cute and I enjoy Carriger's writing.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't even seen the cover for this but I love it and am so glad you enjoyed this series, Melissa! I'll definitely have to give it a shot for sure--your recommendations never go wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I hadn't heard of this series before but your making me want to check it out! I'll make sure to grab a copy of book one at my library! I need me some steampunk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alright alright I really need to try this series, this is the secong positive review I have read today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do! It's good for you and chock full of vitamins... or so I'm told...

      Delete
  8. Yay, I'm glad you liked this one, Melissa! I just love Carriger's humor and the cast of characters. I actually didn't mind the love triangle in this one, but I hope we get to learn more of the suitors in the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the love triangle since I already feel heartbroken! *sniff* Still is good though... *sigh*

      Delete
  9. I am glad you enjoyed it :)
    I never did read further than book 1

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shoot! We're on book 3 already? I've fallen behind. You know I'm a character girl at hear, to this is definitely a good series for me. Can't wait to get caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to read these but I own the box set of her first series and need to crack those open. Are those YA too or adult. You think I would know since I bought them. *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love the silliness of this series. It's written well and I love the worldbuilding. Haven't read this one yet but it's on the TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As long as the mystery is still done well, then I get excited to know the characters are so good. I LOVE good characters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, there's a title and a half. And I love the idea of a steel-bladed fan secreted in the folds of a ball gown.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks to NetGalley, I enjoyed these books, then I bought the first one for my granddaughter. She's hooked, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. World building sounds good with the tongue in cheek

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed the first book a lot! I still need to read the 2nd book though! So glad you enjoyed this installment!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I started this series and well never got to the second and now the third. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I completely agree with you that the characters outshine the mysteries, but luckily for me I'm so into them I don't even care. :-) Glad you also are enjoying Sophronia and her friends. GoTeam Soap!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!