Thursday, January 10, 2013

Throwback Thursday

Meme hosted by Melissa My World in Words and Pages. It's about books that are already on the shelves and are waiting to be read. Go to her website to join in!

This weeks submission:
To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits. 
Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work. 
Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, ROOM is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is also a confession. I have had this one on audio for some time now. I won it and did want to read it after it was recommended to me by a friend. The confession? I don't know if I want to hear it. I can see it being so much more emotional hearing it from a child's voice. A child! In danger! Oh I can so see me throwing it across the room. I can see this being so emotional. 
Hold me? 

Do you have an emotional tbr book waiting for you to read?

15 comments:

  1. Yeah, I could never really force myself to read this one either. I'm such a coward when it comes to issue books or hard to stomach ones such as this. Maybe in another life. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to because of who recommended it to me, but I'm such a chicken... *cluck*

      Delete
  2. I have heard a lot about this one, but haven't read it yet either. I can't imagine a child reading it though.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a child, but in a child's voice. Still... *hides*

      Delete
  3. It is ROUGH to listen too. It is not an actual child reading it but the narrator does a wonderful job sounding very young. It is not a light read at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it would be rough! I knew it wasn't a child, but in the child's "voice". I commend your bravery!

      Delete
  4. Oh man, I would probably have trouble listening to this one if it's a child's voice too. I'd just want to reach in and yell STOP! I'll hold you Melissa! *opens arms*

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must read it! I was scared, but it was easier to read since it was through the kid's eyes and he did not always see everything

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I remember when this book was at the top of the charts for week and I did get a copy but I forgot about it. See we really need to clean out those TBRs....I am scared to read it too since I have two young kids and your perspective definitely changes once you become a parent. Yes I have a couple of emotional reads waiting...this one and another one tha tI just don't know if I can read: The Art of Racing in the Rain. I will bawl like a baby I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to steer clear of of emotional books :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I don't blame you. Not sure if I can do that as well. I'd be crying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I remember hearing about this one a while ago. Hope you enjoy it when you get to it. :)

    Thank you again for joining in the post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I joined a challenge so that I would actually read some of those books waiting on my shelf. I hope I actually do read them. I chose to read 30 out of about 400. I really need to read and not buy.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have wanted to read this one, but yet I haven't. I think I'll just get SO sad. But I'm curious, I WANT to read it. I don't know, but I totally get what you're saying! I don't think I could listen on audio, I'd have to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!